Going to St. George without a plan

Artemis908

We've never been to Bermuda without touring with a shore excursion and since we're docked in Bermuda for two nights, I am thinking I just want to go somewhere we've never been. We've been snorkeling a few times and shopping around Hamilton. So I am thinking we might head out to St. George. Is it the type of area you can just walk around and find things to do for most of the day?

Thanks so much for the links! I was searching for info on the HoHo bus in St. George!

is there such a thing ??

St George seemed pretty walkable but it has been many years since I have been there

They do have day passes for the ferry & bus system there

is there such a thing ??

St George seemed pretty walkable but it has been many years since I have been there

Yes, they did have a HOHO in St George, at least in 2015.

I read somewhere, maybe here, about a HOHO for St Davids and Clearwater Beach.

For public buses and ferrys, bus passes are available at 11 Water St., St George across from Robinson's drug store.

SBtS

is there such a thing ??

It is walkable for many. I have walked everywhere there. I love walking. But not everyone is as mobile. I have had to take a taxi to Tobacco Bay because I was traveling with some who could not walk it. Also in July and August it can be hot and humid. So the hop and hop off which began service in 2015 is a very good option to have available. There are no public buses that go most of the places in St. George area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Yes, they did have a HOHO in St George, at least in 2015.

SBtS

Interesting

The only information I saw was the little train around St George but it did not seem to be HOhO

Good to know

CHARLES

Of course there are people less mobile than others I did not say otherwise

I just asked if there was a HOHO I have not seen any info on it & I have not been there sine the 70's so things do change

CHARLES

Of course there are people less mobile than others I did not say otherwise

I just asked if there was a HOHO I have not seen any info on it & I have not been there sine the 70's so things do change

With the HoHo and other transportation questions like for example the Horseshoe Bay Shuttles it is best to keep in mind that although it seems like things don't change much in Bermuda they do change from year to year. Stuff gets added and subtracted. There was a minibus service from town square in St. George that was available for many years and then disappeared. We don't yet know for sure about these services for 2016. Can't count on the answer for 2015 applying for 2016. That is why following this Bermuda forum for the latest information is very worthwhile for anyone planning a 2016 Bermuda cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We'll be on a cruise in May (docked at the wharf) with our 9 yr. old granddaughter. I think she'll like the caves. What is the easiest way to get there? Ferry to...? and then a bus? Please any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. :)

Do you mean the Crystal Caves? You might find this useful: http://www.caves.bm/planningYourVisit.html

Looks like you can take a bus from Hamilton. Hamilton is a pretty easy ferry ride from King's Wharf. Unless it's a Sunday! A lot of the island closes on Sundays :(

We'll be on a cruise in May (docked at the wharf) with our 9 yr. old granddaughter. I think she'll like the caves. What is the easiest way to get there? Ferry to...? and then a bus? Please any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. :)

You can take a ferry to either Hamilton or St. George and then a bus from either to the caves.

we were there for a week in Aug., staying in St. G and never saw the HO-HO bus all week. I think it's more of a van that runs to/from. St. G is easy to walk around DIY. Lovely, safe place. You can also take a bus back to Hamilton and then change buses and go all the way back to the port, for a poorman's island tour. Takes about 1.5 hrs. Bus also goes right by Elbow and Horseshoe beaches. So, you could ferry to St G in the AM, walk around thru noon and have lunch, then hop a bus to HB beach for a few hrs on your way back to the ship, HB has nice changing facilities and chair/umbrella rentals.

St George's is small and compact enough to do it all on foot. A ferry ride from King's wharf is the quickest way to get there, but a bus from there back to Hamilton, and then the ferry from Hamilton back to King's wharf is a picturesque way to see more of the island (and then you can spend some time in Hamilton before heading back to your ship. Whilst in St George's after walking the town, if you want you can walk to Tobacco Bay, about a 10-15 minute walk which is rather easy and pleasant, but you can take a cab if you choose.. Nice small beach, facilities, snack bar chair and umbrella rental and good snorkeling.

Edited by marco

Do you mean the Crystal Caves? You might find this useful: http://www.caves.bm/planningYourVisit.html

Looks like you can take a bus from Hamilton. Hamilton is a pretty easy ferry ride from King's Wharf. Unless it's a Sunday! A lot of the island closes on Sundays :(

Unless Lastingtouch wants to see Hamilton there's no reason to take the ferry there, then get a bus to the caves. Ferry to St. George then bus to the caves.