Flip Flops in the MDR

deladane

No flame from me. The point is please dress as you please. I enjoy dining with folks who know how act civilized to one another and exhibit good manners. Where we differ is what they wear in the ships main dining room is not a major concern. Especially what someone has on their feet.

I personally try to follow the dress code, but whether or not others are will not detract from the enjoyment of my vacation.

Life is short. Enjoy it while you can

Cheers!

I wore flip flops one evening in Blu while on the Reflection March 2015. They were nice. No one said a word. But I was dressed with a very nice dress acceptable in Blu

Hang in there HERSHEEPEG, you and I will be dressed properly for dinner along with our British mates and exhibit good taste, good manners, and civility to our fellow passengers. Celebrity's failure to enforce its own rules is the real problem here. Yeah, I know I can cruise on some other line, but darn it, I like Celebrity! As I stated in an earlier post, I will be eating in Blu (maybe Luminae if I get upgraded) and I hope the passengers there will have some idea that "smart casual" does not include jeans and flip flops for dinner.

Flame away! :D

Lol, never thought we would get jumped on like criminals for wanting to have a nice dining experience with people dressed accordingly. Some people still have there head in the sand and don't get what elegant is....

What is wrong with nice dressy jeans? I can agree on flip flops - as I wear a pair of aldo brue or church's shoes with those dressy jeans and a nice jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear jeans all the time, even at work, but I feel highly under dressed when I wear them to the MDR on a cruise ship. Only one time have I worn jeans to the MDR, and that was on the 1st night and because we hadn't received the bag with our dressier clothes yet. I felt horribly out of place dressed like that, even though I was not alone.

Others feel differently about it, but "dressy" and "jeans" do not go together, no matter how much you bling them up or whatever designer label you put on them. Paying hundreds for denim pants does not make them chic. It makes the buyer foolish for spending that much money on them. Denim fabric is extremely cheap.

And wearing a pair of $250 shoes doesn't hide the fact that your pants are still jeans.

Just because Celebrity is acquiescing to the American cruiser doesn't mean it's the right move to make. Be that as it may, the OP asked a question about her shoes. The fact that she NEEDS to wear them because of a medical condition is all that matters. Period. I will say, however, she can buy very dressy shoes, that are not flip-flops, that help with plantar fasciitis at New Balance stores. I did. I suffered for years until I found them. Now NB is all I wear (walking shoes, dress shoes, etc.).

Are you people all sailing on a different Celebrity than I am? Twelve pages of discussion of flip flops vs. sandals and the possibility of being turned away from the MDR, when I've never seen anyone turned away for ANY reason. Celebrity had no enforced dress code before "evening chic", and that addition just means "wear the same stuff on formal night".

Celebrity had no enforced dress code before "evening chic", and that addition just means "wear the same stuff on formal night".

And that should not include jeans (regardless of the price), flip flops (regardless of how many jewels on them), baseball caps (even when not turned backwards), and Harley Davidson tee shirts (even if they are in funeral black)! That attire does not conform to FORMAL, ELEGANT chic, or even SMART casual. It makes one appear uncouth, ill mannered, rude, and unaware. Can you imagine the uproar here on CC if Celebrity did enforce their rules and turned someone away from the MDR? (I'll never cruise Celebrity again, I'm gonna sue, I'm gonna write a letter to the CEO of Celebrity, etc.)

Celebrity appears to be marketing to a "class based" clientele with their Aqua and Suite staterooms with their own private restaurants where people generally (but not always) have a clue what "SMART casual" and "ELEGANT chic" means and they don't have to mix with the unwashed proletariat in the MDR!

Oh come on posters, this is a fun thread. Have some fun with it, FCOL!

And that should not include jeans (regardless of the price), flip flops (regardless of how many jewels on them), baseball caps (even when not turned backwards), and Harley Davidson tee shirts (even if they are in funeral black)! That attire does not conform to FORMAL, ELEGANT chic, or even SMART casual. It makes one appear uncouth, ill mannered, rude, and unaware. Can you imagine the uproar here on CC if Celebrity did enforce their rules and turned someone away from the MDR? (I'll never cruise Celebrity again, I'm gonna sue, I'm gonna write a letter to the CEO of Celebrity, etc.)

Celebrity appears to be marketing to a "class based" clientele with their Aqua and Suite staterooms with their own private restaurants where people generally (but not always) have a clue what "SMART casual" and "ELEGANT chic" means and they don't have to mix with the unwashed proletariat in the MDR!

My condolences; you will be the one with the burst vein upon sight of my Reef sandals. :D

Lol, never thought we would get jumped on like criminals for wanting to have a nice dining experience with people dressed accordingly. Some people still have there head in the sand and don't get what elegant is....

OR maybe some have their head in the sand thinking that dining in the MDR with 1000 strangers is elegant when frankly its no more special than your neighborhood nice restaurant you visit dressed casually...wearing your tux and pretending the Queen may show up to join you doesn't mean the rest of us need to as well! :rolleyes: We won't fault you for it though but I may snicker if you look upset when the Queen doesn't appear! :D

Made some great points here!

My condolences; you will be the one with the burst vein upon sight of my Reef sandals. :D

Notice how those sandals say "Reef" on them? They don't say "MDR" or "Blu" or "Luminae" on them. Yes, I will experience a burst vein from unbridled snickering that you didn't have time to change from your shore excursion exploring the reefs before coming to dinner at a 5 star restaurant! :p Take that Reef label off and replace it with MDR and I might relent. I am the fashion police after all!

Dispatch, I have a 16-20 here. Lady is wearing reef sandals and seems lost, confused, disoriented, and clueless. Says she can't find her way to the beach. I found her breaking and entering into the MDR. I can either cite her or send her to remedial fashion school on weekends. 10-4 :cool:

Notice how those sandals say "Reef" on them? They don't say "MDR" or "Blu" or "Luminae" on them. Yes, I will experience a burst vein from unbridled snickering that you didn't have time to change from your shore excursion exploring the reefs before coming to dinner at a 5 star restaurant! :p Take that Reef label off and replace it with MDR and I might relent. I am the fashion police after all!

Dispatch, I have a 16-20 here. Lady is wearing reef sandals and seems lost, confused, disoriented, and clueless. Says she can't find her way to the beach. I found her breaking and entering into the MDR. I can either cite her or send her to remedial fashion school on weekends. 10-4 :cool:

MDR is not 5 star. But your post was amusing.

Likely I'll have my Sebago's on in the dining room because they are more comfortable. So you are safe for now :cool::eek:

Would guess you will die on the spot as I always wear Birkenstocks. Birkenstocks with shorts. Birkenstocks with khakis and a sport shirt. And yes, Birkenstocks with my tux, but I do wear black socks and Birkis! OK?

El Crucero - good post.

If I were the original poster, I'd never, ever, board a cruise ship. This thread amazes me. There are really people in the world who care what shoes we're all wearing?

You have just made my day, I have been following this thread in absolute amazement. We are going on our 1st Celebrity Cruise this year having previously cruised HAL. After reading lots of comments in the Celebrity section of CC I am beginning to regret the decision to book the cruise.

I used the HAL section extensively last year & never once read anything as nasty & personal as I have read on here. Yes there were some scathing comments but not nasty. I just hope I don't meet any of these fashion police on my cruise because I will be in my designer jeans in the MDR just like I did on HAL last year & just like I do when I eat in any smart restaurant in the UK which I do several times a week.

MDR is not 5 star.

I know that, that's why I said it! But the MDR is not McDonalds either!

Likely I'll have my Sebago's on in the dining room because they are more comfortable. So you are safe for now :cool::eek:

Well..........I wear my Sperry TopSiders during the day, which includes breakfast and lunch. But wear them to "SMART casual" or "Elegant chic" in the evening? NEVER! "Look, she can only afford one pair of shoes." I would rather dine on a flip flop disguised as a rib eye entre than wear day shoes to dinner.

At least you can take a joke Ms. Maxwell.

I know that, that's why I said it! But the MDR is not McDonalds either!

Well..........I wear my Sperry TopSiders during the day, which includes breakfast and lunch. But wear them to "SMART casual" or "Elegant chic" in the evening? NEVER! "Look, she can only afford one pair of shoes." I would rather dine on a flip flop disguised as a rib eye entre than wear day shoes to dinner.

At least you can take a joke Ms. Maxwell.

lol, if you were snooping around under tables checking footwear you might discover I'm Mr.

Would guess you will die on the spot as I always wear Birkenstocks. Birkenstocks with shorts. Birkenstocks with khakis and a sport shirt. And yes, Birkenstocks with my tux, but I do wear black socks and Birkis! OK?.

Dispatch, I got a guy here in custody outside the nudist colony. He is wearing Birkenstocks and nothing else. Just mumbling something about where can he get a latte. He is driving a Volvo. He seems to be stuck in the '80's. Some joker here took one look at him and died on the spot. I think it was the shoes. We need to lock this guy's shoes up and throw the key away! 10-4

Edited by El Crucero