cabins / motion??

Is there a noticable difference of motion in cabins 4 cabins apart? This will be our first cruise from San Diego to Puerto Vallarta. We will be on the 8th deck if that matters. I understand that the waters may be rougher than the Carribbean. We don't want to move to a lower deck but I am trying to make a good choice regarding a cabin.

We will be on the Westerdam in November.

Thanks

Marcia

Some people feel the motion of the ocean more than others

The closer to the bow has more movement when the seas are bumpy

I would choose a cabin mid ship or aft if you are susceptible to the motion

Hi Marcia,

From end to end, there are about 60 cabins on deck 8.

The difference between a mid-ships cabin and one on the end will be fairly significant in stormy waters - but just four cabins apart you'll hardly notice the difference. :)

And yes, although it defies my sort of logic, the bow is more susceptible than the stern.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Some people feel the motion of the ocean more than others

The closer to the bow has more movement when the seas are bumpy

I would choose a cabin mid ship or aft if you are susceptible to the motion

This is precisely what I would recommend.

Keith

No one seems to be mentioning that identical cabins located mid ship cost more than the cabins located fore or aft of mid ship? Hmm? Keep in mind that the place with the least amount of motion on a teeter totter is its fulcrum.

As for side to side movement of a ship the fulcrum becomes the water line. The higher you go [deck wise] from the water line the greater your side to side motion will be.

The best ride is where those two fulcrums are in harmony - mid ship low.

Yes, the staterooms forward are less expensive. We have cruised with cabins located all over the various ships. We have been on high decks, down in the bilge, we have been forward, midships, aft. We are not inclined to mal de mer. We really like upper decks and far forward. This is where the motion is most pronounced, but we like this part of the ships the best.

Now people who are prone to motion sickness need to book an outside cabin, not an inside on the lowest or next lowest deck on the ship. Ideally, they will book as close to midships as possible. One of the quick cures for motion sickness is to look out the window; that is why I suggest an outside cabin.

For those who are technically inclined, the late George W. Hilton explains stability and ship motions quite well in his book Eastland, Legacy of the Titanic. I do not suggest reading this book before going on a cruise.:eek:

Doc