Whats everyones thoughts on RCCL's insurance

Premiums are not based on age, which can be a big deal as you get older.

However, no coverage for independently booked air, and their emergency evac limits are significantly lower than third party insurance.

CruiseCare was wonderful when we had to cancel several cruises after final payment was made due to illness. After getting the necessary refunds from RCI, CruiseCare reimbursed the balance. Took out 3rd party insurance on our air, and was also reimbursed the total amount paid.

I've used a variety of companies over the years. You need to consider the most likely reason you may cancel a cruise, then check your options. Here is an example. A few years ago my wife and I cruised with my Son and Daughter in law. My son is a Navy Pilot. His squadron was put on alert due to the crisis in Syria. I had a policy that my TA found that allowed all of us to cancel if my son's military leave was cancelled. So, it was the most likely scenario for cancellation. Of course it also covered illness, death in the family, etc.

Lately I have been using Royal Caribbean's insurance. I like the 75% cancel for any reason clause and there is no time limit on when you take out the insurance. So I always take out the insurance when I make final payment. If you take out a third party policy before final payment, and cancel the cruise, you lose your insurance premium. With Royal Caribbean, that isn't the case. Plus there is no real need to take it out prior to final payment. So, for me, that is my usual policy.

We always buy Travel Guard insurance. If you cancel after final payment they will allow you to transfer the amount you paid for your insurance to another trip. You do not get in back in cash.

We buy the "cancel for any reason" policy which makes this insurance the primary and you do not have to file for other insurance (if you have any) before filing with them. It is not that much more in cost and worth it to me.

Premiums are not based on age, which can be a big deal as you get older.

However, no coverage for independently booked air, and their emergency evac limits are significantly lower than third party insurance.

Indeed Bob.

That points to why we research and buy independent travel insurance. This is not to reduce the value of the insurance offered by cruise lines themselves, rather, to point out that there is more to a cruise vacation than the cruise itself.

You can get Cruise Insurance or Travel Insurance - they are not the same.

There are plenty of things that can go wrong on a cruise vacation - including outright cancellation, flight delays or cancellations, lost or delayed luggage, medical situations requiring immediate care, missing a port departure, etc. Not even considering how these things can actually ruin a vacation...the financial impact of just one of these events can be substantial.

One buys insurance for what might happen...to reduce the impact.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

We usually buy RCI's travel insurance for a couple of reasons. If you have a controlled pre-existing condition, for which no treatment or medication change occurred 60 days prior to the date you buy the insurance, that condition is covered. Not so in most other travel insurance. Also we are both in our 70's, so other options will be much more expensive. Next time we fly I will either book thru' Choice Air or buy separate insurance just for the flights.

We had to cancel our cruise on the day of flying. One day before the actual cruise. We had the "cancel for any reason" coverage but they refused to pay because we were within two days of traveling. It was in the small print. We dropped our travel agent because they refused to help us fight the denial.

Be careful. We now use RCCL coverage.

We usually buy RCI's travel insurance for a couple of reasons. If you have a controlled pre-existing condition, for which no treatment or medication change occurred 60 days prior to the date you buy the insurance, that condition is covered. Not so in most other travel insurance.

An excellent point, but we find that coverage in more robust 3rd party insurance plans as well.

We had to cancel our cruise on the day of flying. One day before the actual cruise. We had the "cancel for any reason" coverage but they refused to pay because we were within two days of traveling. It was in the small print. We dropped our travel agent because they refused to help us fight the denial.

Sorry to hear that - yes - it underscores reading the fine print on ANY insurance, even that offered by the cruise lines. The policies we get provide cancellation up to 8 hours prior to cruise departure.

If you cruise twice a year or more, consider an annual travel policy. For just over $500 for two people, we are covered for cruises as well as car and motorcycle trips.

Can you expand on the details? Is the premium age driven? What are the limits for medical, evacuation, etc.......