Which of these ports is best for seeing Ruins

RCcruisinfamily

Try both the Costa Maya and Belize boards for lots of good information on ruins excursions. Both have Mayan ruins closer to port than Cozumel which require a 40 minute ferry to the mainland and then buses to ruins. There are no ruins on Roatan. The ruins on the island of Cozumel itself are NOT interesting. They are little more than piles of stones.

My friends and DH went to Lamanai in Belize. I was sick that day so can't give you first hand experience. They complained that it took a long time to get there (1.5 hours I think) and they didn't get enough time to spend at the ruins.

I went to Tulum from a land vacation at Playa Del Carmen. We rented a jeep and I think it took about an hour to get there. Tulum has a beautiful view but the site is pretty small. There is a tender from Cozumel to Playa. When you factor in the tender ride, it would take the same amount of time to go to both places.

From Costa Maya, you can go to the ruins at Chaccoben and it is about a 4 hour commitment (hour or bit longer in bus each way, 1.5 hours or so at ruins). Ruins are pretty impressive for the time investment (have been to Tulum, Kohunlich, Dzibanche as well, each was impressive in it's own right but was much longer transport from port to get to). Chaccoben is scenic and you'll get some nice photos.

If you want really dramatic, you can go to Tulum from Cozumel, but is will be a 45 minutes ferry ride (which can be rough), followed by a bus, followed by ruins and then back. The setting is dramatic on bluff overlooking the ocean. There are more but smaller ruins than Chaccoben. You can get some awesome photos here.

From Costa Maya, you can go to the ruins at Chaccoben and it is about a 4 hour commitment (hour or bit longer in bus each way, 1.5 hours or so at ruins). Ruins are pretty impressive for the time investment (have been to Tulum, Kohunlich, Dzibanche as well, each was impressive in it's own right but was much longer transport from port to get to). Chaccoben is scenic and you'll get some nice photos.

If you want really dramatic, you can go to Tulum from Cozumel, but is will be a 45 minutes ferry ride (which can be rough), followed by a bus, followed by ruins and then back. The setting is dramatic on bluff overlooking the ocean. There are more but smaller ruins than Chaccoben. You can get some awesome photos here.

We had an excellent experience with Native Choice at Costa Maya going to tour Chacchoben, and I would highly recommend it.

We did the Tulum with beach break through RCI when we were at Cozumel and I would never do that again. It was an incredible amount of travel for barely 40 minutes at the ruins.

Chaccoben Ruins in Costa Maya is a nice 4 hour excursion. Bus ride takes you through the countryside for some interesting scenery. We had a great day there and took lots of memorable pictures.......have not done Tulum just because of the time commitment.

Try both the Costa Maya and Belize boards for lots of good information on ruins excursions. Both have Mayan ruins closer to port than Cozumel which require a 40 minute ferry to the mainland and then buses to ruins. There are no ruins on Roatan. The ruins on the island of Cozumel itself are NOT interesting. They are little more than piles of stones.

About a five hour bus ride from Roatan is Copan. Too far though. Belize the good ruins are far. So that leaves Tulum from Cozumel which are worth the ride in my opinion. Also worth the ride from Cozumel is Coba. Costa Maya it would be Chaccoben. Chaccoben is small, and less interesting than Coba and Tulum.