Insignia or Riviera?

bzv143

Looking at booking my first Oceania cruise over the 2016 holidays, and Riviera and Insignia itineraries both look good. Help please--comments on which ship I should choose? I know the ship sizes are different, so no need to point that out. How about ship crew members, dining, cabins, etc? Also it looks like there is no Concierge Lounge on Insignia, so Concierge cabins are not necessarily needed?

Thanks.

The other differences are the cabins are slightly larger on Riviera

4 specialty restaurants vs Insignia 2

La Reserve a wine pairing restaurant (fee)

Culinary centre (fee)

some people like the concierge lounge for a quick coffee/snack read the paper some do not care either way ;)

The crew change when the contracts are up so you never know if they will be new or regulars

Choose the itinerary that works best for you

both ships have pro's & cons

Edited by LHT28

I too agree. It depends on the itinerary. I personally love Riviera as my favorite ship in the fleet, can't exactly say why as I love the art on Marina better but I am always drawn to Riviera. Been on her 3 times x4 in 4 weeks, Marina X 4 with #5 in May. 6 on Regatta. Actually just love them all

Looking at booking my first Oceania cruise over the 2016 holidays, and Riviera and Insignia itineraries both look good. Help please--comments on which ship I should choose? I know the ship sizes are different, so no need to point that out. How about ship crew members, dining, cabins, etc? Also it looks like there is no Concierge Lounge on Insignia, so Concierge cabins are not necessarily needed?

Thanks.

Seems to me that your saying "the Riviera is larger" may not convey the fact that she is quite literally, more than twice the size of the Insignia ( 66,000 tons versus 30,000).

The "R Ships" as Insignia, Nautica, Regatta and Sirena, are collectively known, have slightly smaller "standard" cabins and bathrooms and although these ships are exquisitely maintained, their size blocks them from matching Oceania's bigger ships amenity for amenity.

That said, there is something about the intimacy and ease of sailing on a 600 passenger ship, that a 1200 passenger ship will simply never be able to beat.

Don't get me wrong, the Marina and Riviera are glorious variations on Oceania's original theme, but if you are anxious to sample the ambience that put Oceania "on the map", then you may want your first Oceania cruise to be on an R ship. Many believe them to be the "perfect" cruise ship size.

b_003310.jpg

One further piece of advice:

Oceania Holiday cruises don't prohibit children, but there isn't any provision made for them either (although a few Summer Cruises to Alaska will). So if you prefer to Sail over the Holidays, you might want to arrange your sailing so that school is still in session.

We have sailed the Riviera twice and toured one of the smaller ships (the Nautica which, according to what I've read, is the same as the Insignia). IMO, there is no comparison between the ships. While the smaller ships have a unique design that appeals to many, the suites are small and cabins have tiny bathrooms (except in PH and above).

We are typically luxury cruise passengers (Regent and Silversea), we felt that the Riviera was the most beautiful ship that we have ever sailed on. For us there is no choice...... the Riviera (or Marina) or we would not sail Oceania at all!

I have sailed on both size O ships and also in concierge on the Nautica and this is what I found: I would not book concierge again as the extra cost was not worth it IMO. I like the intimacy of the R size and it's ability to get up close to the destinations. It was also quick and easy to disembark on port intensive itineraries. I also like the larger O ships when the itinerary has more relaxed itineraries and plan to spend more time on the ship. More restaurants and more activities as mentioned by LHT28. I very much enjoyed the B3 extended balcony on the Marina (7111) which the R size does not have. I would recommend you choose primarily for the itinerary and be assured you will definitely enjoy whichever O size ship takes you there, they are both great!

Edited by canuck.qc

Love them both. Except for the bathrooms in the regular cabins the R ships which are very small. Just got off Insignia January 4th after 35 days and I consider it my best cruise. Wonderful staff they seemed very content.

Spent 26 days on the Riviera 2 years ago and loved the ship, but very little staff interaction.

We did meet up with the Riviera in Martinique and Grenada in December, and it was fun to wake up and see her docked next to us. The staff was excited. image.jpg.700a017e8e05138f6a3ee25249dafe26.jpg

Love them both. Except for the bathrooms in the regular cabins the R ships which are very small. Just got off Insignia January 4th after 35 days and I consider it my best cruise. Wonderful staff they seemed very content.

Spent 26 days on the Riviera 2 years ago and loved the ship, but very little staff interaction.

We did meet up with the Riviera in Martinique and Grenada in December, and it was fun to wake up and see her docked next to us. The staff was excited. [ATTACH]375112[/ATTACH]

We were "next door", docked across from you, a nice surprise.

Our Butler had a friend working on the Insignia, so they met up and had some time together.

... and we ran into them on shore.

(DH recognized him first. He wasn't in uniform, of course, so with brightly colored casual clothing on, he looked quite different.)

It was really helpful to stand facing both ships to compare general size.

Your photo attachment captures that nicely.

We'd miss Jacques and Red Ginger too much on the R class ships.

However, if the itinerary is right, we'll definitely consider trying one.

But it will be hard to beat the Riviera. There were so many features that we loved/used, and the overall beauty and ambiance...