Purchasing Carnival Corp stock assistance

VacationCharlene

With the stock market tanking every other day, I have been tossing around purchasing the 100 shares of stock but not sure how to do it :( Currently it is about $48 per each stock. I would appreciate all the knowledge from people who have recently purchased and who you purchase it thru. Etrades, CapitolOne, etc. If I understand correctly most of the on-line purchases are about $7 a TRANSACTION. Correct? Can we purchase directly from Carnival.com? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also, is it non-refundable OBC? Thanks all :o (Cross referenced on Holland America.)

I've been a shareholder since Carnival was trading in the upper-20$ range - that said, I don't only hold Carnival, it is part of my portfolio.

I use TD Ameritrade and I think their fee is in the $9 per transaction (buy/sell) range.

I don't know if the OBC is non-refundable, as I've always spent it (usually on gratuities) -

Bear in mind that the shareholder benefit is only available to one person per cabin, regardless of how many may be shareholders.

I am using TDAmeritrade also. It is $9.99 per trade, no matter how many shares are bought or sold. I like them because there are no additional fees, etc. and I can put in an order to buy or sell anytime. There are others that charge less per trade, but be sure to check for any additional fees.

It is very easy to buy--just sign on with one of the online traders, fill out the forms, and then arrange for funding from your bank, or however you want to get the money to them. Then, just go to the section that says "Buy", put in how many shares you want and what you are willing to pay. I keep tabs on the market and buy & sell accordingly. Just remember, as long as you don't sell at a loss you are OK. Plus the dividends are nice, I think the last dividends were .30 per share, so you would get $30 per quarter on 100 shares for a total of $120 per year.

The OBC is a plus and is given for each cruise you take, with varying amts. based on the length of the cruise. As far as I know, it doesn't have the OBN designation, but we have never had any trouble spending it!

I purchased my Carnival stock thru my Schwab IRA account. There was no charge. If you have 401-k, you may also be able to use it with no fee. Otherwise use a discount broker like Ameritrade or Charles Schwab. But the best way would be to purchase within a retirement account, but make sure to verify if there are any charges or not.

With the stock market tanking every other day, I have been tossing around purchasing the 100 shares of stock but not sure how to do it :( Currently it is about $48 per each stock. I would appreciate all the knowledge from people who have recently purchased and who you purchase it thru. Etrades, CapitolOne, etc. If I understand correctly most of the on-line purchases are about $7 a TRANSACTION. Correct? Can we purchase directly from Carnival.com? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also, is it non-refundable OBC? Thanks all :o (Cross referenced on Holland America.)

I purchased mine through Scottrade and paid $7 to purchase it. Not all online brokers charge the same commission, so it's good to research that before opening an account. The broker holds the stock certificate for you so you don't actually receive anything. CCL has historically paid $100 to $120 in dividends per year (paid quarterly). It's a great buy and hold investment if you are a frequent cruiser or plan to be since you can reap the benefit of the onboard credit over and over. And of course you can get the onboard credit on any of CCL's brands (such as Princess, Holland America, Carnival, etc.). I've had mine for many years and never regretted buying it.

What helpful advice...Thanks to all that have responded so far. I really like the shareholder benefit, after purchasing the minimum 100 shares currently at $48 share, of OBC for every cruise with a Carnival Corp ship. We are cruising on longer cruises now and it would be great to have the add'l OBC. I am afraid to make the jump to purchase them on-line:eek: I have no desire to have other stocks. Guess I should set up an acct somewhere first and then be ready to strike!

IMO ,buying Carnival stock should be part of your financial plan/portfolio of stock and not just a one off to get shareholder OBC.

Carnival stock has really held up well with the market off so much lately! This dip below 50 is the first time in ages that it has been so low! We were actually hoping it would go down a bit farther before buying but who knows what will actually happen??

Good luck with your transaction! We actually just bought some ourselves when it dipped down to 47+

Now to send in the proof and get my OBC!

Edited by riffatsea

We use Met life for our annuities and have a personal finance person. So when we were thinking of buy stock we side $$ a small account and set it up a buy order if the stock got to certain point buy. So we were crusin and got the email that "you bought stock". there was a small fee around $7.

Our finance guy doesn't think much of the stock but we get over $200 year free $$$ OBC plus it has climb since we bought it at $22. for us a great deal.

Make sure you have disposal income to do this. It is a risk. it is a stock.

It is non refundable OBC on the ship but we never have a problem using it up LOL