Wheelchair vs scooter for handicapped person?

gogetter

Hello all,

My wife is handicapped and needs a wheelchair or scooter. From what I understand I can bring either with us and use on the cruise. They still do have rental wheelchairs on the cruise.

Anyone ever use them, brought them or what has been your experience?

Thank you

I've brought my scooter on several cruises. As I have to have someone push me if in a wheelchair, the scooter gives me freedom - as well as hubby. You might wish to check with a local dealer as when I didn't have my own scooter I found them much cheaper than renting through one of the companies listed with Carnival. ALSO, keep in mind if you use a company instead of bringing one with you, you will have to get Carnival to bring a wheelchair to board.

I don't know if your wife uses a scooter, but just as information, while a 3 wheel is less stable (easier to tip if making a quick turn) it also turns shorter and is easier to maneuver. I've had both kinds.

OK to bring a power strip WITHOUT a built-in serge protector. Serge protector are on the do not bring list.

Edited by Swampbaby

Please do not listen to afreetdragon. You are not allowed to have a surge

protector. You are allowed to bring a power strip as long as it is not a

surge protector. I rent a scooter from Special Needs At Sea for all

my cruises. When I get to the room my scooter is charged and ready

for use. At the end of cruise just leave in the cabin charging and they

will come and move it to the next cabin that rents it. Carnival will

push you from terminal to your cabin in a carnival wheelchair and

at the end they will push you back to the terminal door to go to

your transportation. HAPPY SAILING!!!

I've brought my scooter on several cruises. As I have to have someone push me if in a wheelchair, the scooter gives me freedom - as well as hubby. You might wish to check with a local dealer as when I didn't have my own scooter available I found them much cheaper than renting through one of the companies listed with Carnival. ALSO, keep in mind if you use a company instead of bringing one with you, you will have to get Carnival to bring a wheelchair to board.

I don't know if your wife uses a scooter, but just as information, while a 3 wheel is less stable (easier to tip if making a quick turn) it also turns shorter and is easier to maneuver. I've had both kinds,

Hello all,

My wife is handicapped and needs a wheelchair or scooter. From what I understand I can bring either with us and use on the cruise. They still do have rental wheelchairs on the cruise.

Thank you

If you are able and your wife is somewhat mobile a wheelchair can be a lot more convenient than a scooter. You can easily go where you may not be able with a scooter.

My wife can climb and walk a bit but she can't stand or walk for long without causing undue pain. I am easily able to push her in a chair anywhere we need to go. If there is a curb that is too high she can get up so I can lift the chair same for a few steps. If you have a tender port they won't take her with a scooter, you would be able to go with a push wheelchair.

With a folding wheelchair you can easily bring it into cabin and fold it out of your way. Even interior cabins it can be tucked away in a corner without getting in the way.

It depends on the two of you and what you will be doing, what you are able to manage and what you really need to get around.

have a great cruise

Catalina Island, California and Half Moon Cay, The Bahamas are the only tender ports with accessible tenders.

From Carnival:

Facilities in ports of call vary significantly; wheelchair accessibility may not be available for shore tours or in certain ports of call. Carnival is not responsible for accessibility in its ports of call, which are not under Carnival’s control.

Honestly, I think I'd do both, if it's at all feasible. The lightest comfortable portable chair for taking ashore (the tenders aren't accessible but I believe they can accomodate folded up chairs?) and a lighter chair will be not uncomfortable for a shorter time period plus lighter to push) and then a scooter for using on ship, which will allow her to not need pushing all the time and which is pretty accessible.

Hello all,

Thank you

I have used my scooter on our last two cruises, and I will be taking it along in a few weeks for our Pride cruise. I have mobility issues that limit my walking. We have gotten the same cabin for the last 3 cruises, so I know I can enter the doorway, and keep it out of our way in the cabin. We book a standard balcony cabin, as I don't require a handicap-accessible cabin. I can use my cane in the cabin, etc.

If your decide to rent a scooter, your wife should probably do some test runs on a scooter beforehand. If she has her own scooter, you should be certain it can fit through the doorway of the cabin. As I mentioned, I bring my own scooter (Pride GoGo Elite Traveller Plus 3-wheel), and I was dead set against it initially, but it's the best purchase we've ever made. Anyway, I had no problems navigating the ship, never any problems with getting elevators, etc.

The last time we were on the Pride, I suggested to DH that we go to Muster drill early. We did just that but as it turned out, we didn't need to be outside on deck. The wheelchair and scooter folks muster was conducted inside a lounge.

Also, it depends a lot on where you are headed, and how active you both are. We go on the Pride just to have fun and relax. We've been to the same ports before, so we don't get off of the ship.

Bottom line, I had no problems with my scooter. Have a nice time when you cruise.

Please do not listen to afreetdragon. You are not allowed to have a surge

protector. You are allowed to bring a power strip as long as it is not a

surge protector. I rent a scooter from Special Needs At Sea for all

my cruises. When I get to the room my scooter is charged and ready

for use. At the end of cruise just leave in the cabin charging and they

will come and move it to the next cabin that rents it. Carnival will

push you from terminal to your cabin in a carnival wheelchair and

at the end they will push you back to the terminal door to go to

your transportation. HAPPY SAILING!!!

How much did the electric scooter cost for the week?

We have a 4 wheel scooter and was told by Carnival it can't be more than 22 inches wide.

Last cruise we rented a wheelchair and my wife never used it...lol...she got super powers and could walk......lol....anyways this time she will need some sort of assistance....we also have a wheelchair, scooter equals more freedom, I agree and less stress on me..lol...

Thank you all for your responses.

Scooter scooter scooter. We brought my husband's wheelchair on the Sunshine in August, and it was not fun. My husband is a bigger guy, and it was really hard for me to get him out side and on the serenity deck. Getting off and on at the port was not too bad, depending on the ramp. A carnival employee broke my husbands wheelchair pushing him up the small ramp. ( we later got it covered by Carnival, but it took a lot of effort on our part)

We decided a scooter would be better for this next cruise. He will be able to go anywhere on the ship by himself this time.

How much did the electric scooter cost for the week?

We have a 4 wheel scooter and was told by Carnival it can't be more than 22 inches wide.

Last cruise we rented a wheelchair and my wife never used it...lol...she got super powers and could walk......lol....anyways this time she will need some sort of assistance....we also have a wheelchair, scooter equals more freedom, I agree and less stress on me..lol...

Thank you all for your responses.

DH is a really big guy and we were easily able to fit his full sized scooter through the door of a modified cabin. If you are at all concerned about door width, be sure you get a modified or handicapped cabin. You should have no issues.

Honestly, I think I'd do both, if it's at all feasible. The lightest comfortable portable chair for taking ashore (the tenders aren't accessible but I believe they can accomodate folded up chairs?) and a lighter chair will be not uncomfortable for a shorter time period plus lighter to push) and then a scooter for using on ship, which will allow her to not need pushing all the time and which is pretty accessible.

I agree with the above choice!!!! Our next Cruise is in April 2016 and Hubby will drive his own Scooter which we notified Carnival of this. And I will wheel his empty ( except for My carry on) wheel chair . the wheel chair is so we can use it for tender ports. This is the first time bringing both. but have traveled with his scooter many times and it is great on the ship.

Hello all,

Thank you

If you are asking if the ship rents wheelchairs. The answer is NO. They have them to use to get on and off the ship but you can not keep it for your exclusive use. At least on the ships I've been on. You can rent one thru a special needs company.

If you are asking if the ship rents wheelchairs. The answer is NO. They have them to use to get on and off the ship but you can not keep it for your exclusive use. At least on the ships I've been on. You can rent one thru a special needs company.

No I wasn't asking about renting wheelchairs. On our last cruise a Carnival person got a wheelchair and pushed my wife on to the ship in the lobby. Then they left. I went to guest services and rented on that was put on my sail and sign. I do believe it was from a 3rd party business.