Princess Dock Honolulu?

mysusie45

Usually the Princess ships dock at Pier 11, which is right at the Aloha Tower. Both of our Hawaii cruises have gone there. But I've noticed on the webcams over the last month or so that the Ruby has been docking at Pier 2, which is east of there. According to the State of Hawaii DOT website, the Ruby is scheduled to be at Pier 11 on Feb. 20, and at Pier 2 on March 29 and April 25. But I know first hand that this is not always accurate. On our last cruise this website said we would be at Pier 2, but we sailed right by it and docked at Pier 11 instead.

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/harbors/files/2013/01/oahu-criuse-2016-1-25-161.pdf

Edited by Jasperdo

Usually the Princess ships dock at Pier 11, which is right at the Aloha Tower. Both of our Hawaii cruises have gone there. But I've noticed on the webcams over the last month or so that the Ruby has been docking at Pier 2, which is east of there. According to the State of Hawaii DOT website, the Ruby is scheduled to be at Pier 11 on Feb. 20, and at Pier 2 on March 29 and April 25. But I know first hand that this is not always accurate. On our last cruise this website said we would be at Pier 2, but we sailed right by it and docked at Pier 11 instead.

Here's a link to a map & photos of the Honolulu harbor:

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/harbors/files/2012/10/Honolulu-Harbor-Oahu.pdf

While walking to The Bus a couple of blocks from Aloha Tower to go to Pearl Harbor we came upon a historical church where St. Fr Damien of Molokai was ordained as a priest.

Nice information thanks. I was stationed there and go back about every two years, have seen the church, but never knew that.

Nice information thanks. I was stationed there and go back about every two years, have seen the church, but never knew that.

You're welcome & it's the Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace located at Fort Street Mall and Beretania Street.

Edited by Astro Flyer

This is where I check before our cruises to Hawaii. All three times we docked at 11. The terminal has a beautiful mural (I hope it's still there, a few years ago a shop owner at the marketplace said it will be torn down for use by a college).

This is where I check before our cruises to Hawaii. All three times we docked at 11. The terminal has a beautiful mural (I hope it's still there' date=' a few years ago a shop owner at the marketplace said it will be torn down for use by a college).[/quote']

Hawai'i Pacific University purchased the Aloha Tower Marketplace & converted part of it to student housing however I don't think they purchased the cruise ship terminal so hopefully that great mural is there. :)

"Aloha Tower Marketplace’s second floor has been transformed into the Waterfront Lofts: modern, urban loft spaces for Hawai‘i Pacific University students, establishing a robust residential community within the complex".

Edited by Astro Flyer

This is where I check before our cruises to Hawaii. All three times we docked at 11. The terminal has a beautiful mural (I hope it's still there' date=' a few years ago a shop owner at the marketplace said it will be torn down for use by a college).[/quote']I was pleasantly surprised to find that website wrong the last time we sailed into Honolulu. I was fully expecting us to slow down and slide into Pier 2 like the website had said, but we continued on to the Aloha Tower.

And the Boat Day murals were still there when we got off the ship. But that was nearly 2 years ago now:

16229355143_1120d53471_z.jpg

16849313805_3bfba1b0f6_z.jpg

16226958374_fe02ddbd92_z.jpg

As a long time resident (even though I am "legally" bound to a different state), I am truly upset that the State of Hawaii leased the land under Aloha Tower Marketplace.

Who owns Aloha Tower Marketplace?

Hawai‘i Pacific University (HPU), through a legal entity and in partnership with a private developer, purchased the Aloha Tower Marketplace (ATM) buildings in late 2011. HPU acquired the remaining ownership stake from the previous developer, a process that was completed in 2013, and is now the sole owner of ATM. The ATM sits on land owned by the State of Hawaii, which is subject to a long term lease and acquired as part of the purchase.

It was a nasty battle. Ships may still moor at Pier 11. It is the ship's Captain/Princess that make the decision as to which pier they will take (information given to me by the Harbor Supervisor).

It is a long haul to the Marketplace from Pier 2. In all fairness, it is much better for the tour buses and commercial drivers. Pier 2 is a "nicer" terminal but sure lacks the ambiance of "Boat Days".

It was a nasty battle. Ships may still moor at Pier 11. It is the ship's Captain/Princess that make the decision as to which pier they will take (information given to me by the Harbor Supervisor).

Interesting. That might explain why the last time I cruised into Honolulu we went to Pier 11, even though the State DOT website had posted that we would be at Pier 2. I would think Princess and the ship's Captain would much rather dock at the Aloha Tower, even if most of the shops are now closed. It's still a more iconic Pier.

Interesting. That might explain why the last time I cruised into Honolulu we went to Pier 11, even though the State DOT website had posted that we would be at Pier 2. I would think Princess and the ship's Captain would much rather dock at the Aloha Tower, even if most of the shops are now closed. It's still a more iconic Pier.

It's just the opposite. Most ships are now docked at Pier 2. I asked the same question. As a passenger, I love the Aloha Tower Terminal. It is rather congested when a ship is in town. Therefore, buses, taxis, concessionaires, etc prefer the "other" pier where there is much easier access and lots more space for parking. Of course, there is very limited parking for those who actually have a car. And it is a long walk to the Aloha MarketPlace parking lot. Plus parking downtown is extremely expensive.

Don't get me started on the why's and what for's regarding the "over-throw" of an icon. Brings back the days of "annexation". Really now, does a private university really need to have Hooters and Gordon Biersch as they anchor restaurants?????

I was pleasantly surprised to find that website wrong the last time we sailed into Honolulu. I was fully expecting us to slow down and slide into Pier 2 like the website had said, but we continued on to the Aloha Tower.

And the Boat Day murals were still there when we got off the ship. But that was nearly 2 years ago now:

16229355143_1120d53471_z.jpg

16849313805_3bfba1b0f6_z.jpg

16226958374_fe02ddbd92_z.jpg

Beautiful, aren't they? Our last Hawaiian cruise was the holiday one in 2012/2013 and loved being greeted by these after getting off of the Golden for our Honolulu day.

Don't get me started on the why's and what for's regarding the "over-throw" of an icon. Brings back the days of "annexation". Really now, does a private university really need to have Hooters and Gordon Biersch as they anchor restaurants?????

Hi cr8tiv1,

Of course they do! I went to CU in Boulder, CO back in the day (I know, not a private institution, but, kind of a similar idea). The diversity of the places on the "Hill" made it magical to a freshly minted college person. Hopefully both piers will remain and be used by all cruise lines. Not sure if that was the point of your post, however, just my opinion. :cool:

Hi cr8tiv1,

Of course they do! I went to CU in Boulder, CO back in the day (I know, not a private institution, but, kind of a similar idea). The diversity of the places on the "Hill" made it magical to a freshly minted college person. Hopefully both piers will remain and be used by all cruise lines. Not sure if that was the point of your post, however, just my opinion. :cool:

Thanks for the background information and your opinion. I miss "old" Hawaii. The International Market Place is gone. The state could have done so much with the Aloha Tower's property to preserve the heritage. I am hoping that Hawaii Pacific University will include the rich history of the Aloha Tower's landmark in some of their planning. I am for progress, but not at the expense of tradition.

It is what it is. Luck for the passengers who still dock at Pier 11.

Thanks for the background information and your opinion. I miss "old" Hawaii. The International Market Place is gone. The state could have done so much with the Aloha Tower's property to preserve the heritage. I am hoping that Hawaii Pacific University will include the rich history of the Aloha Tower's landmark in some of their planning. I am for progress, but not at the expense of tradition.

It is what it is. Luck for the passengers who still dock at Pier 11.

My first experience in Hawaii was an unusually fortunate opportunity to have a 10 day trip back in 1972. I have been back over there another eight times via land vacations or cruises. Way too many unfortunate changes in the name of progress on the islands these days. I get progress, but, not at the expense of history. I am always a bit of a dinosaur in that regard. :D