The Mystery of Table Assignments - A Story

ABoatNerd

We always request a table for two when my husband and I are sailing and a table for five when my whole family is sailing. Been on twenty some cruises, always have got what was requested. That said, we always go straight to the Maitre'D when boarding the ship to see that our requests are honored.

Cannot resist telling my experience just two weeks past. Asked for large table ( 8 preferred but would have accepted 6)

Checked as soon as I got on board, was at a table for 4 - obvious from their names that they were of Oriental nationality, did not speak English.

Fortunately got a table for 8, two of whom disappeared after first night , got another couple then they also disappeared, we wondered what we could have done that "frightened" both couples off, then saw they dined at Casual dining every night, they just did not like having to get put of their shorts and tee Shirts

Different strokes for different folks.

Now for me the mystery is "How does mmy luggage get lost" when it is tagged correctly, put outside the door by 10pm, has special coloured handles, and strapping with my name written the entire length of the strapping? Now that is really a mystery, yes it went missing on friday, I can only wait and hope, it is now in the hands of FED EX!!!!!!!

------

We've made life-time friends that we met on one of our cruises. We were tablemates, and after introductions found out we were all from the Atlanta area. We became friends, and even though we were miles apart, met for dinner and now have cruised twice with them, are taking a TA cruise this fall, and have plans for Alaska on the Summitt next year. icon_biggrin.gif So I, for one, am delighted to cruise with people from my area. You never know where a new friend is lurking! icon_wink.gif

Garry

Century Western Caribbean - 6/5/2004 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;5;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Galaxy Transatlantic - 9/3/2004 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;9;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

click <a href="mailto:gkm278@comcast.net">here</a href> to send me an email

Garry, I'm with you! I just want to sit with friendly, fun people that like to talk about what they did that day and don't complain endlessly about what is wrong with the cruise. Drink or don't drink, but I do have a problem if they go face first in the entree (yes, it's happened!) more than once per cruise. And I want to sit at a table with at least 5 other people. Oh Great Table Fairy of The Century, Hear My Prayer. On This My First Century Cruise, June 5th Please Honor My Table REquest! Amen! Think that'll work? Or will it be like all my prayers to the upgrade fairy and go unanswered? <bg>

Going on CENTURY! Third X Cruise In Four Months!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

icon_smile.gif Tuggers...have a wonderful time!

quote:

" Oh Great Table Fairy of The Century, Hear My Prayer. On This My First Century Cruise, June 5th Please Honor My Table REquest! Amen!"

---------------------------------------------

To everyone on here....please lets all put good thoughts into Tugger's request icon_smile.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Hi Lois, you've got that right! Clothes are all over the bed in the spare bedroom, clothes are hanging ready for packing, shoes all together, stuff stacked everywhere, luggage open and ready. The only problem is is that it's too early. icon_rolleyes.gif It's going to be a long week!

Gail, you're late seating, aren't you? We're early. I've spent too many years getting up early to change my habits for one week. I'm sure you're going to have someone wonderful at your table. If the group we have on the CC board is any indication, we've got a wonderful bunch of buddies with us! icon_biggrin.gif

Garry

Century Western Caribbean - 6/5/2004 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;5;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Galaxy Transatlantic - 9/3/2004 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;9;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

click <a href="mailto:gkm278@comcast.net">here</a href> to send me an email

Hi everyone,

This has been very interesting to read and, I must say, surprising that I can understand all points. I would be very interested in meeting people from elswhere while traveling so I can understand the first post and that of Sekhmet. I can also see the benefits of making new friends that are closer to home...just in case you want to keep in touch. I love the friends we made from our last cruise, but some are soooo far away that visits will be few and far between. It doesn't change the friendships, just makes the hearts grow fonder with the absence. Perhaps the many choices that are now available has created a new "monster" with the dining room. I must say, I usually travel with a group of friends (approximately 40-50) and I send in seating assignments for our group.

On Celebrity - we have always gotten exactly what we requested. Could be because of the size of the group or it could also be that we sent the specific request with final payment (way in advance). This has been unique to Celebrity however. We did not get the same quality results from Carnival or even Princess.

It must be hard to accommodate everyone. In fact, on Princess the MD tried to tell me that I need to complain to my TA because they did not give him seating assignments. I inquired as to how the other tables were all correct and the one I was in was not - to which he stated that the TA screwed up. I politely, but firmly told him that he was addressing the TA and I did not screw up. I provided the faxed paper and confirmation to back it up. Needless to say, he received no tip and stayed away from our table the entire cruise. Don't always believe them when they blame things on the TA. BTW, I am no longer a TA but have great empathy for them. It has been great reading the different opinions. Good luck to all.

Personal note to Jimsgirl, noticed to are from Port Charlotte. Tell me what you think of the place. I have property there and am really struggling as to what to do with it. Should I hold on for retirement or sell? Any thoughts?

Cath

We were on the Summit Ende of March 2004 and had also a bad experience with table assignment by Celebrity.

We booked our cruise in July 2003. One of the reasons was to get a table for two in the dining room. We both work and enjoy our meals without small talk with strangers. Our request was confirmed. Upon arrival on the ship we realized, that by mistake we were assigned a table for 8. We contacted immediately the Assistant Maître’d (Frankie) who reluctantly assigned us a table for two in an absolute impossible location behind and underneath the staircase. After another discussion with Frankie (the only unfriendly and unhelpful crew member on board), he placed us with 2 other couples at a table for 6. Since it was very important to us to be at a table for 2, this poor treatment overshadowed our entire cruise on the Summit. Since so may people seem to like big tables, Celebrity should be able to have enough tables for 2 available. For our next cruise we will evaluate another curiseline with better service.

Peterm,

Sorry to hear of your experience, but I am curious about Frankie. Was this a very tall gentleman with dark hair and speaks rather good English? I have been wondering what happened to him as he was a waiter on the Horizon a few years back. He told us when we left that he was getting a promotion to Asst. MD. I hope it is not the same person as I would be very disappointed to learn that he would not be more caring and concerned. Please let me know if you have the time. I believe he was from Croatia, however, if you had such a bad experience - I doubt you would have cared to learn much more about him. I would not blame you one bit.

C

Last year on the Century, my fiance and I had no prob with our table assignment. I had asked for a table of 6 with "20 somethings." They put us with 2 really fun couples right in the center of the dining room near the Captains table. It was a great place to sit and with good company too.

Century 5/24/03

Majesty of the Seas 6/3/02

Chandris Victoria Summer 1984

SS Poseidon: New Year's Eve 1972

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;5;23;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500 till I cruise for my honeymoon!!

On the Century last month, we sat at a table for 10 on the upper level right at the aft window. What a marvelous location - the sunsets every night were spectacular. The table was full (ages ranged from 23 to 78) and even included a priest who was the chaplain for the cruise. Everyone had a ball and we were the last table to leave each evening. I love the experience of meeting new people and making new friends.

Carol

I guess we have been lucky. We always ask for early seating and have always gotten it. We've always asked to sit with others because we enjoy meeting people from other locations. Each time, we have had such enjoyable experiences. We are sailing in 18 days to Alaska and we have requested the largest table. Can't wait to experience everything!

We allways but in a request for a table for 2 right after we book and allways have got it.

I think the secret is putting in your request right away, waiting till 2 weeks before you go is pushing it they probably have it all worked out by then.

bearfish_1.gif

LoisR...you and I seem to understand the statement made by ABoatNerd. Personally I also wish I could chose my tablemates...they would be pleasant, friendly, mannered, easy-going. But I wouldn't dictate nationality, people are people and it does take all kinds.

Fortunately I have only encountered one pompous person at dinner and since is was on Princess, we could change tables easily the next night.

Happy Memorial Day to my American friends!

God Bless Canada, too!

The point someone made about how - if you were seated with people from your own town - that you could see each other after the cruise - what a good point.

I've met people on this board and people on board that I've "clicked" with - sorry to say - they live in far away states. How nice it would be to learn they lived in my state.

I am sailing June 19 for 14 days on Constellation.

My travelling partner and I have asked for a large table since we are pretty gregarious people. She likes early and I like late, so we compromise and alternate on different cruises, and this time we settled on early.

Now my question. If I decide that I had rather go for late dining, at least some nights, will it be possible to find an empty seat at a large table? Will wait staff mind? What do I do -- locate an empty seat and ask to join or what?

I do prefer eating in the dining room to the more informal places.

love

joan

How would you compensate the waiters who just got you for a couple of nights? And the asst. waiter? Of course you would tip your assigned people for all nights but I would hate to expect the others to work for free.

Going on CENTURY! Third X Cruise In Four Months!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ladysail2:

To ABoatNerd....you actually request that don't want to sit with Canadians? icon_frown.gif For shame. How sad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would gladly sit with Canadians...but not Canadiens! icon_wink.gif

My husband will hate hockey talk during the cruise!

------------------------------

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Zuiderdam 8/21/04 FLL - Key West - Cozumel - Grand Caymans - Half Moon Cay - FLL

<LI>Splendour of the Seas 05/15/04 Barcelona - Marseilles - Villefranche - Livorno - Chivitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona

<LI>Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow

<LI>Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum

GO BRUINS!!!!

Well, I'll add to the "table mates" experience we had on a very first cruise. A little background...our daughter worked on the ship and we were cruising space available (free..Scandinavia/Russia). The first night we ate buffet because they had to figure out where there would be seating for us. The second night they assigned us a table and we waited for our table mates to show up. When they did..they were appalled, apparently we had sit in the seats they had selected for themselves, and that was not acceptable. It was a table for 6 and no one else showed up(found out later the other guest had asked to be moved). Well, we learned why...this couple was early 70's..he was a shoe salesman...and didn't like anything (and I can't emphasize anything enough)...everytime he sent something back she wife would say "Oh, Milton!" and then just giggle. We talked about shoes any chance we got because otherwise he found out our daughter was on the ship and questioned everything...(why does it do this...what did it cost you...why aren't we..where's the Captain...why isn't he...) We made our daughter come eat with us one of the nights...she then made a friend who was an ACD eat with us, we didn't have answers to their questions..neither did the kids and neither wanted to eat with us again.(they did but it was under duress...) We laugh to this day about Margie and Milton...after 17 days they kinda grew on us...even hugged us at the end of the cruise. icon_biggrin.gif

Panama Canal on the Galaxy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;11;25;19;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Hi Joan icon_smile.gif

I want to make sure I understand what you are asking....that on certain nights you want to be able to change tables?

I would guess you would have to speak with the Maitr'd about that..but I do have a question, in that case, do you plan on tipping both waiters?

I was re-reading your post and it seems you prefer the late seating. (And are compromising to eat early this time). But if you already know ahead of time that you won't want to eat early....did I miss something? icon_confused.gif.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Our first cruise was HAL and we had requested a table for 6- not too large, not too small. Well, one of the couples was supposed to be in a large party so they requested to be moved with their friends. Unfortunately that left us with a table for four and despite our best efforts we had very little in common with the other couple. We were able to change seats one night although it did put us in late seating. The tablemates were fantastic and we discovered that one couple was going to be on the dolphin swim with us the next day. A fortuitious and great happenstance. Unfortunately the people whose place we had taken were back to their regular seats for the rest of the cruise.

On the Century we must have lucked out. A table for eight including my wife, father in law, and two couples. The eighth seat remained empty (we did ask a fellow CCer who was traveling alone if he wanted to join us, but he said we were all a bit too wild for him) All seven of us were from the states but were from very different backgrounds. Great conversation and we liked the group so well that we are still writing one of the couples.

I guess it is the luck of the draw. What is unfortunate is that if you deliberately try to match people up you are going to miss some of the best experiences. On the other hand, it is nice if everyone speaks the same language so communication is possible.

Archived