Pride vs. Vista - talk sense into me!

iheartmarshall

I need someone to talk some sense into me.

Currently planning a cruise in May 2017 and we've narrowed it down between the Pride out of Baltimore or the Vista out of Miami. While technically the Vista is cheaper for the cabin, once we factor in flights, hotel, excursions, etc., we're looking at $1,300ish more than the Pride. Seems like the Pride would be the clear winner, right? But that's not how life works. Both DH and I would love to cruise on the Vista and the ports of call are way more interesting to us (better excursions in our opinion). But we are on a budget and can only afford so much, which is part of the reason we book way in advance and make payments. We'd be happy with either and want to try the Pride but the Vista is so tempting. What to do, what to do?!

Pride out of Baltimore

Cost: $2,300 (cruise fare + hotel + parking + excursions)

Ports: Grand Turk, HMC, Freeport (8 days; 3 sea days, 3 port days)

Pros: Less expensive, drive-able port, can get a 4K (we want to try one!)

Cons: Not as excited about the ports/excursion options (we're not the best beach people).

Vista out of Miami

Cost: $3,500 (cruise fare + flights + hotel + excursions)

Ports: Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios (6 days; 2 sea days, 3 port days)

Pros: IT'S THE VISTA, better excursion options

Cons: Expensive, poor flight offerings (always happens when flying out of our airport, ugh).... that's it. The cost is the big factor.

So again... someone please talk some sense into me and tell me I should book the Pride over the Vista, before I actually book the Vista.

Can you make the drive to Miami? maybe just another day off to get down there. Or what about a compromise and grab something out of Charleston, SC (drivable), Jax (drivable) or PC (3 hours closer than Miami and lots of choices for good ports (Magic there later this year and several other ships including Sunshine and Valor which is getting upgraded next month I think).

I personally would not pop for flights (and all the luggage restrictions etc) and the $1300 difference. We would drive to one of the drivable ports and get a balcony and still come out less :rolleyes:, you will eventually get to the Vista but remember a cruise is over in 7 or 8 days and then the common sense will really kick in. Good Luck!

Edited by Drazil65

Can you make the drive to Miami? maybe just another day off to get down there. Or what about a compromise and grab something out of Charleston (drivable), Jax (drivable) or PC (3 hours closer than Miami and lots of choices for good ports (Magic there later this year and several other ships including Sunshine and Valor which is getting upgraded next month I think).

I personally would not pop for flights (and all the luggage restrictions etc) and the $1300 difference. We would drive to one of the drivable ports and get a balcony and still come out less :rolleyes:, you will eventually get to the Vista but remember a cruise is over in 7 or 8 days and then the common sense will really kick in. Good Luck!

We could drive to Miami, but it would take two days and DH has limited annual leave to take (I have oodles). Jacksonville is 12 hours away from us so it's the farthest we will go to drive (been there before, but not for a cruise). I've looked at cruises at other ports and this is what we've narrowed it down to.... the Pride because we've had friends who have sailed on it with good experiences and we'd like one of the 4K cabins (silly reason, but there it is). And of course the Vista because of the ship and itinerary. For whatever reason, nothing else appeals to us right now. Who knows why?

I'm just worried about the cost. Every time we've flown to Florida it costs around $1,000 - $,1200 for round trip tickets so although I don't know what it would really be, that's what I'm basing my estimate on (smaller airport, less options). My brain says go for the Pride but my irrational side says spend all the money and go on the Vista. They're at war :)

Edited by iheartmarshall

I'd lean toward the Pride here. Not only is it far cheaper, it is also longer. Let's put it this way: It's about $287 a day versus $583 a day for your party. So are you going to like the Vista twice as much as the Pride?

Good point! And like a PP said, the Vista isn't going anywhere so if not this year, then the future.

Book the Pride. It's cheaper yet 2 days longer and at GT and HMC you won't have to spend hardly any $. Plus you can drive to the port. We sailed Pride from Baltimore last May and are sailing again in March and you can stay at BW in Elkridge and they offer free parking and shuttle to the port. Check them out at trinityreservations.com for a great rate. Pride is a great ship and HMC is paradise on earth. :)Let us know your decision!

Currently planning a cruise in May 2017 and we've narrowed it down between the Pride out of Baltimore or the Vista out of Miami. While technically the Vista is cheaper for the cabin, once we factor in flights, hotel, excursions, etc., we're looking at $1,300ish more than the Pride. Seems like the Pride would be the clear winner, right? But that's not how life works. Both DH and I would love to cruise on the Vista and the ports of call are way more interesting to us (better excursions in our opinion). But we are on a budget and can only afford so much, which is part of the reason we book way in advance and make payments. We'd be happy with either and want to try the Pride but the Vista is so tempting. What to do, what to do?!

Pride out of Baltimore

Cons: Not as excited about the ports/excursion options (we're not the best beach people).

Vista out of Miami

Cons: Expensive, poor flight offerings (always happens when flying out of our airport, ugh).... that's it. The cost is the big factor.

So again... someone please talk some sense into me and tell me I should book the Pride over the Vista, before I actually book the Vista.

We are on the same itn. on the Vista in Jan. 2017 ( 8c Bal for under $2000 } We will most likely fly into FLL for under $700 for 2 For my money I would go the bright new ship

I was also going to point out the cost pp for each day.

Have you done any of those ports before, because that would make a difference to me? We are a family of five and we have only been on one cruise and have one scheduled for this summer, so I don't have the same view as many others, but even when we do land vacations, I try to find someplace new to go, because our vacations don't come around all that often.

I was also going to suggest driving to Miami. It would save you money, but those extra days could be spent on your actual vacation and not traveling to the port (or worse, driving home).

Book the Pride.

because...

1.Even though the Vista is the shiny new ship with all the bells on the Pride has a better space/passenger ratio. We have sailed Pride's sister and we are worried about being on the Vista because of this.

2. 4Ks are awesome...book one between lifeboats...well worth the money.

3. The Pride is 8 days over 6....thats enough of a reason on its own

4. The ports may appear to be beach ports but I am sure there are other options.

5. That extra money you saved can on fun stuff/another cruise

Its up to year but I think the choice is obvious. :D

It looks like you haven't yet been on a Spirit class ship (Pride, Legend, Miracle, Spirit).

Strongly urge you do Pride first, since in our opinion that class of ship

is the BEST ever offered by Carnival.......and they'll never make ships

like that again, since they are less profitable.

Ships like Vista and Dream Class entries make MUCH more money, since

they SQUOOSH customers together ! Pride isn't a tiny ship....but simply never

feels crowded, no matter where your adventures take you.

Do Vista afterward to compare.

Pride out of Baltimore

Vista out of Miami

Hell no.....book the Vista. You can take the Pride anytime. :cool:

I didnt creep on, so all i know is your title lists west virginia. We live in south central pa. I have family in florida so driving to miami this april is no problem. Since you are ik with driving to baltimore, what about flights from bwi, dulles(iad) or national? I was looking for flights and without much effort i found roundtrips for >$250. Now, you wont find good airfare more than 4 months out, you have to have faith in how flight pricing works and hold off buying your airfare until at least 60 days prior to sailing. Right around 45 days is about the best, unless you have huge cajones and can wait til about 30 days out. I wouldnt push it more than that. It seems like you really want to do the vista, just hold off on your airfare and you may save 500-700. But, this is of course, hypothetical. This post has been monitored for quality and training purposes. :cool:

OP, just to let you (and everyone else!) know, the Pride is a 7 day cruise, not 8. So you actually just have one more day than your Vista cruise. Not sure if this makes that much of a difference. All the cruises we used to do from NY were 8 day cruises and believe me, that extra day was a BIG BONUS! When we cruised on the Liberty last Jan. and the Pride in May, we did the 7 night cruises, but did B2B's :D Anyway, as someone else posted, the Vista is going to be BIG. And I agree completely that the Pride is just the perfect size as are all spirit class ships. We have been on all 4 of them and think they're the best size and layout in the fleet. Also, look up what kind of venues and features are on each ship and what you really WANT on a ship-maybe the waterworks would make no difference to you, for example. If you REALLY want to cruise on the Vista, then do it. But if you pick the Pride you won't be disappointed! ;)

Another vote for the Pride, we also love the Spirit class ships.

Save the Vista to your bucket/future list.

Use the HMC day for your beach day or stay on ship uncrowded.

Grand Turk has plenty of stuff to do....we did ATV tour and it was so fun!

Do some research on Freeport, you'll find something interesting to do.

Was in the same boat as you (no pun intended, lol) the other day. The plan Was to book the Vista sometime later this yr, then the $99 deposit sale came out...Yeah, so we started really looking. We knew we wanted Christmas 2017 and we also knew it would not be cheap for a family of 4. So we came upon looking into the Magic. We knew it was going into drydock and getting all the 2.0 upgrades that we grew to love from already cruising on the Breeze and Sunshine. So like you it really came down to price.. The Vista was a 6 day and the magic a 7. We done all the islands between the two so that wasn't really an issue. Prices were a bit more on the Vista. So what did we go with...We are booked on the Magic! Its sad but true but the Extra day and cheaper price won me over.. Not to mention we have cruised the Dream (its sister ship) and loved it. We figure like others have said, the Vista will still be there...I know its tempting, but its true...So I say go with the Pride, great size ship ,extra day and cheaper price!

Pride out of Baltimore

Vista out of Miami

Are you kidding ? it's Vista or nothing .

Grand Turk and HMC are beach days; similar. Freeport is kind of....let's be nice...a DUMP unless you leave the port area and then it is also basically a beach day.

Baltimore to Miami is probably roughly a 16-18 hour drive if you opted not to fly.

I would go Vista. New ship, much better ports, IMO.

Another vote for Vista! Go big, or go home!:D:D

With all joking aside, it really comes down to what you are comfortable spending.

We did the Pride back in 2012. Great cruise, but was not a fan of the décor of the ship. We still had a great time. To some that is a non-issue.

I just booked the Vista for April 2017. We LOVED the Breeze, so of course we are DYING to cruise on Vista.

To each their own. Either way, you're going to have a great cruise!:D

Enjoy!

I would vote vista too. We just booked it for next April. Price flights to west palm beach too (about 1.5 hr north of Miami PBI airport code). Our cruise in 6 weeks we got tickets there on Delta about 40% less than Miami. We will fly in day before & do the rent a car & drop near the port.

Thank you for the replies, everyone! It's too much to do individual replies so here's my collective thoughts:

1. My bad on saying the Pride is an 8-day when it's really a 7-day. I swear I thought it was an 8-day while browsing the website earlier today. Maybe I just looked at too many options! Still though, the price is cheaper and it's one extra day.

2. We prefer adventure excursions over beach time which is why the Vista ports appeal to us a wee bit more -- more options in that category (i.e., cenote swim, river tubing, etc.). Plus we'd like to try out the new ship features, especially that thing you ride around the top deck (what is it called?!). On the other hand, the Pride has more beach ports which would cost less. Strangely, Freeport actually excites me as they have a kayaking excursion that looks fun. I'd love to go to HMC too; it looks so beautiful in pictures.

3. We've been to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Grand Turk so Vista would provide us one new port and Pride would give us two.

4. The reality is, as much as we want to go on the Vista, it's just too much money. In the past, we've booked and then made equal monthly payments until the due date. Going by that, it'd still be a stretch for Vista. Time to be a responsible adult, I guess.

5. Also, I'm happy to see a lot of love for the Pride! I must admit, I'm intrigued by her layout because it's unlike any of the other Carnival ships I've researched. We've been on the Conquest twice and I am ready for something completely different.

I guess that although the Vista is something we want to do, we'll probably go with the Pride for 2017 and save up for the Vista later. We've really loved cruising so far so I know whatever we pick, we'll enjoy. Thank you all SO much for your responses! I appreciate it :)

Although Vista is the newer "more desirable" ship, my vote is for the Pride here. I happen to be a big fan of GT, HMC, and Freeport since they are lay on the beach days which is what I like to do so they may not be as good as the other ports on Vista as far as excursions go like you mentioned. However pride gives you an additional 2 nights on board, and is $1,200 cheaper. That's a no brainer in my book, especially since the Pride is one of the better "older" ships.