Getting off Independence

I have been reading a ton of threads about the nightmare of getting off the Indy. We have a 12:45 flight out of FLL. I have 3 boys (11,9,7) and we have nothing but carry-ons. We are planning on taking a taxi to the airport. My husband gets very nervous about running to planes and timing. We are on the 2/13-2/18 sailing of Indy. Knowing all this, do we self disembark or do we get off with the luggage tags? Really don't want to miss our flight as we will miss our connection. Opinions from anyone who was recently on Indy or who is familiar with Indy. Thanks

I have been reading a ton of threads about the nightmare of getting off the Indy. We have a 12:45 flight out of FLL. I have 3 boys (11,9,7) and we have nothing but carry-ons. We are planning on taking a taxi to the airport. My husband gets very nervous about running to planes and timing. We are on the 2/13-2/18 sailing of Indy. Knowing all this, do we self disembark or do we get off with the luggage tags? Really don't want to miss our flight as we will miss our connection. Opinions from anyone who was recently on Indy or who is familiar with Indy. Thanks

You should be OK if you have very low luggage tag numbers, which you should be able to arrange at Guest Services. However, to give you the most leeway in case of delays, I would opt for self-assist disembarkation. Our experience is that when a delay starts, it gets worse as the day goes on, so it's best to get away from the ship ASAP, even if it means sitting in the airport for a few hours.

I know it was a year ago but we had no problem disembarking Independence. You usually only hear about the bad. We used luggage valet and walked off right after the self disembarking crowd. There's always a chance you may get delayed but I believe there's a better chance you won't have any problems.

do self check out..much eaiser....took us about 15ish minutes from the time we left the room to getting off the boat..and then maybe 10 more mins to get through security area.....cabs lined up everywhere.....wouldn't worry about it a tall.

I wouldn't do the tags..some times weren't till 9:30 or later...while that still maybe ok it would be a little tighter for time if hes stressed out about it.

With only carry-ons, just do the self diembark and all will be fine. There will be plenty of cabs to take you to the airport. No need to put extra stress on DH after a great cruise.

This isn't just a suggestion for Indy. We had no problem getting off Indy in February 2015 after an 8 day cruise, so we had more than carry-on luggage. We had parked our car offsite, so we had to wait for their shuttle, We were in our car by 9:45am and on our way home. If we had been on our way to the airport for a 12:45am flight, we would have had plenty of time as well. The airport is only a few minutes from Port Everglades.

Agree, with only carry-ons, do the Express self debark.

Pack the night before, get customs forms done.

Wind Jammer opens at 6 AM on turn around days.

Eat, pack last minute stuff from the safe, and get

in line about 6:45.

Last 5 Indy cruises I have done this....off the ship

and in the taxi by 7:45....home 4 miles by 8:05 usually.

If Indy docks at Pier 25 the usual gathering place is

deck 3 by On the Air/Studio B.

If Indy docks at Pier 18 the usual gathering spots

are deck 4 by fore and aft elevators.

Pretty easy and fast this way.

Agree with Bob, better to be close to the front of the line, early.

:D

Let me add that you need one hand free to use the

escalators in the terminal building. If not, you can take

elevators there, no problem. May lose a few steps but

one option if you have a lot of small bags.

Edited by Rocket3D

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see you having an issue either way you get off the ship. Unless it has changed, FLL doesn't even let you check-in for your flight until 2 hours before departure time. Can anyone confirm if this is still corret?