Greece in mid-late October

enyaw

Hi there!

Going on the Jewel of the Seas leaving Rome in mid-October and going to all of the places in Greece -- crete, mykonos, santorini, athens along with Kusadasi and Naples. Wondering if anyone has been during October?!

Looked up some weather and from the sounds of it -- looks great. Also, many shops seem like they're closed for the season, will there be stuff to see and do?

It's the only time we can both be gone from work, so we'll make the best of it, as we're SO excited to check these places out.

Thanks for all of your help!

I've been to all of your ports listed above (except Santorini) not once but several times each in October and also November.

In general, the weather has been very good for that area. More northerly and western Med ports are often cooler and rainy in October but so far (knock wood) I have been lucky with no rain and very reasonable temperatures. I really enjoy cruising the Med at that time of year.

There are so many cruise ships in the area now up until late November. I wouldn't worry about finding shops closed. I have even been on Mykonos (the very definition of a resort) as late as the end of November and I do not remember any shops being closed, although perhaps a couple of restaurants were.

We have been to Greece and Turkey numerous times in the October timeframe. And we will most likely be going again this fall. We have always had good-very good weather. Less crowds too. Of course it is weather so anything can happen but you do have very good reason for optimism.

I would not be concerned about shops being closed.

• 2 weeks later...

This is another "weather" question. We will be in Athens, then a cruise ship (Celestyal) for four nights then back to Athens....April 2nd to 9th. what can we expect ? Dress in layers ?? rain? Thanks in advance for any reply!!

Most probably the only 'layers' that you will need are shorts and a shirt.

It has been perfect the last three Octobers we ere in Athens. We got a like rain in the western Med on our last trip. It was at the end of Oct/early Nov.

You dhould be fine.

We sailed on the Serenade from Rome on October 20, 2014 and the weather was very good for the most part - including almost 80 degrees in Rome (which was a surprise). We only had a brief shower in Crete up until the day we were scheduled to port in Mykonos. Unfortunately, there was an early morning storm that prevented the captain from docking the ship.

I was really looking forward to getting to Delos so now I have to go back in 2017 ;)

Iancal, I appreciate your advice on weather in Athens in October, but we will be in Athens and the islands in early April. Has anyone been there at this time of year?

The title of this thread is asking about weather in October.

If you want information on the weather in April, I recommend starting a new thread to obtain that information. Doing this will also help others who may want that information as most people won't click on a thread asking about October weather if they want weather info for April.

Edited by lovemylab

• 2 weeks later...

October is the best time of year to visit Greece. The weather is perfect, not too hot nor cold. October is considered "low season" but you are lucky to be avoiding the heat and the crowds! All businesses are open.

Enjoy!