Solstice Alaska - Victoria docking times

Blondie008

According to our schedule the ship docks in Victoria at 5.30pm leaving at 11.59pm - but when I look at the shore excursions available - they are all geared up for daytime.

Anyone been and know whats right or wrong?

If it is evening - what recommendations do you have for Victoria?

Thanks CC folks:)

According to our schedule the ship docks in Victoria at 5.30pm leaving at 11.59pm - but when I look at the shore excursions available - they are all geared up for daytime.

It is the evening, its only a few hours, to me really a wasted stop. We just roamed around the city and went back to the ship. Don't get me wrong, its a beautiful city. I think a lot of people did the gardens, don't remember the name but its on the list of excursions.

It is the evening, its only a few hours, to me really a wasted stop. We just roamed around the city and went back to the ship. Don't get me wrong, its a beautiful city. I think a lot of people did the gardens, don't remember the name but its on the list of excursions.

Thanks so much.

We have never set foot in Canada - so this is a must for us - I have since found one excursion which does an evening market - I was a tad confused as they all seemed daytime trips.

Might just get off then and do as you did - :)

It does not get dark until very late. Dusk is about 10pm in late June. Victoria stop is simply a legal requirement that a foreign flagged ship cannot make a voyage without a foreign port.

FWIW - There are tiny little ferry boats that can take you to the inner harbor area. cost is a few dollars. Then you can walk downtown and visit the Empress Hotel.

Butchart Gardens is a great tour but as it is a bit of a drive from the pier would only do this one on a ship's tour.

It does not get dark until very late. Dusk is about 10pm in late June. Victoria stop is simply a legal requirement that a foreign flagged ship cannot make a voyage without a foreign port.

FWIW - There are tiny little ferry boats that can take you to the inner harbor area. cost is a few dollars. Then you can walk downtown and visit the Empress Hotel.

Butchart Gardens is a great tour but as it is a bit of a drive from the pier would only do this one on a ship's tour.

I don't know when you were there but in 2014 Celebrity had shuttle buses which took you right to the hotel, no need for a boat.

As one of the posters stated Victoria is a requirement for those sailing return out of the US. Other then the butchart gardens excursion (which is a place to see) http://www.butchartgardens.com

If you feel too rushed then i suggest a walk through our beautiful inner harbour with lots of activities in the summer.

-Stroll along the walkway from Ogden point (Cruise ship dock) to downtown Victoria passing by Fishermens wharf home of Barbs place (fish & chips) and a few other floating food stops

- Inner harbour has a lot of tourist buskers and those famous water ferries. http://www.victoriaharbourferry.com/tours-services/water-taxi

-Check out the famous Empress hotel or take in some of our restaurants in the area.

If walking is not your thing, take a taxi or I believe there is a bus from Ogden point to the inner harbour for a nominal fee. http://victoriacruise.ca/page/shuttle

Hope this helps,

Greg

The bus is $5.00 senior rate or $10.00 not senior round trip to downtown. Last year we stayed on the ship since getting there at 6 pm is a waste of time and been there twice before. Very few stores open mostly bars and restaurants.

Edited by ozark74

Victoria is such a beautiful city. We've been there several times, both on port stops and land trips.

But to add one more idea for an evening visit -- for those who enjoy a nice pub we've enjoyed both the beverages, food and ambience at the Bard & Banker (located on Government Street).

Hi,

I cruise with Celebrity but I also live and grew up here in Victoria. I would recommend to just enjoy the city and walk Government St and our Inner Harbor. Don't waste time by driving or being on a bus all the way to the gardens. Just enjoy our city and find some good food!

Tim

Hi,

I cruise with Celebrity but I also live and grew up here in Victoria. I would recommend to just enjoy the city and walk Government St and our Inner Harbor. Don't waste time by driving or being on a bus all the way to the gardens. Just enjoy our city and find some good food!

Tim

I agree, having stopped in Victoria many times we just enjoy the waterfront, find some fish and chips for dinner, grab a beer or 3 and stroll around, its wonderful to just relax and take it all in, no need to rush around on tours and such just enjoy a beautiful summer evening before heading back to the ship later that evening.....and the little boats are fun too, much better than the bus or shuttle....

Hi,

Tim

I agree, beautiful city and that's what we did. Wish Celebrity could run the cruise there with a more reasonable time, it was just odd.

Hi,

Tim

Great advice, Tim! (See you in April!)

Mark.

As one of the posters stated Victoria is a requirement for those sailing return out of the US. Other then the butchart gardens excursion (which is a place to see) http://www.butchartgardens.com

If you feel too rushed then i suggest a walk through our beautiful inner harbour with lots of activities in the summer.

-Stroll along the walkway from Ogden point (Cruise ship dock) to downtown Victoria passing by Fishermens wharf home of Barbs place (fish & chips) and a few other floating food stops

- Inner harbour has a lot of tourist buskers and those famous water ferries. http://www.victoriaharbourferry.com/tours-services/water-taxi

-Check out the famous Empress hotel or take in some of our restaurants in the area.

If walking is not your thing, take a taxi or I believe there is a bus from Ogden point to the inner harbour for a nominal fee. http://victoriacruise.ca/page/shuttle

Hope this helps,

Greg

Thanks for the great tips Greg!

That's great to know - here at home our days are long and sunset in "urm summer" here in Scotland can be very very late evening. I didn't know this about Victoria - think we are going to enjoy this very much!

This past August we just walked around the city - it is a nice walk from where the ship docks and we ended up at Irish Times - a great Irish pub with live Irish music. Had a great time.

Hmmm - Irish bar and we are Scots - we might not make it back onto the ship if we land in here :D lol!

Edited by Blondie008

I agree, having stopped in Victoria many times we just enjoy the waterfront, find some fish and chips for dinner, grab a beer or 3 and stroll around, its wonderful to just relax and take it all in, no need to rush around on tours and such just enjoy a beautiful summer evening before heading back to the ship later that evening.....and the little boats are fun too, much better than the bus or shuttle....

Sounds like a good plan! :)

• 3 weeks later...

They won't even let you on the ship without a passport if there are foreign stops.

Not true. When the cruise ship stops in Mexico and various Caribbean Islands, a passport is not necessary. However, you do risk being able to get a flight out of one of those areas in an emergency should arise. But, you can get on the ship with identification other then a passport.

We cruised in early September and took the ship's Buchart Gardens tour as that was on our 'bucket list'. Extraordinary garden if that is your thing - world famous and for good reasons. The only issue was that it got dark quite soon after we arrived. The garden is pretty then too, but obviously you can't see as much. There is more daylight in June, so perhaps that would not be a problem.