Solstice Alaska - Victoria docking times

Blondie008

Any restaurant recs for Victoria? Tim, you mentioned fish & chips... Just curious about some places so eat that is walkable from the ship.

Thanks!!

Alaina

Hello! The famous Barbs fish & chips at fisherman's warf is a great spot. It's surrounded by house boats and you can even feed the seals.

If the weather is not the best try going to Bard and Banker pub.

Hello! The famous Barbs fish & chips at fisherman's warf is a great spot. It's surrounded by house boats and you can even feed the seals.

If the weather is not the best try going to Bard and Banker pub.

Thank you for the info on Barbs? Can anyone confirm what time sunset is in Victoria at the end of May? I'm hearing such mixed information about it getting dark so early.

Thanks again,

Alaina

Thank you for the info on Barbs? Can anyone confirm what time sunset is in Victoria at the end of May? I'm hearing such mixed information about it getting dark so early.

Thanks again,

Alaina

Around 9:00PM.

This link will provide exact time depending on your date:

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/canada/victoria?month=5&year=2016

The time is correct. We are going on the Solstice cruise of May 13. We have booked the Butchhart Gardens and Empress Tea tour.

I am curious...If you are booked on the Solstice and not scheduled to dock in Victoria until 5:30, how do your have a tour of the gardens booked?

They will be closed by then.

This is from their website:

Spring

March 1 – 31 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

April 1 – June 14 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

Please let me know as we are going the following week and want to do this tour.

Thanks.

I love taking a stroll down by the waterfront and heading up at Mile Zero to Beacon Hill Park.....love this park! If I am there the whole day, I make the loop and head into town with a stop by the Government buildings, the Empress and I know this is not glamourous at all, but we have a tradition where we always stop at the Days Inn for a cold beer before walking back to the ship.

We just love that place ... looks like it is right out of the 50s but we first stopped there to get out of the rain and catch a game on their many tv's. Everybody was so friendly and now we just check back in every time we go to Victoria. Dorky tradition, I know, but it is ours. BTW -- there is a wine store right in that same building as well.

If not going out to Butchart Gardens, you probably won't have time to do the entire loop I just mentioned above, but I still highly recommend Beacon Hill Park. There is no charge for entry and not quite as expansive at Butchart but still a beautiful park. You will also be able to take a picture stop at Mile Zero which is a landmark in itself. The walk is over a mile to get there but with beautiful scenery and you can always take a horse drawn carriage or a pedi cab (cannot remember which they have ... maybe both) to the Park and walk back.

The same goes for downtown ... such amazing architecture and you can walk through the Empress Hotel without charge. There is even a little totem pole museum not far from the Government buildings that is interesting.

Maybe it is just me and not criticizing anyone else for this by any means as to each his own (remembering that I stop at the Days Inn for a cocktail...LOL) ... but if your only time in Canada, I just think it would be great to take in the sights vs finding some place to eat.

I agree, having stopped in Victoria many times we just enjoy the waterfront, find some fish and chips for dinner, grab a beer or 3 and stroll around, its wonderful to just relax and take it all in, no need to rush around on tours and such just enjoy a beautiful summer evening before heading back to the ship later that evening.....and the little boats are fun too, much better than the bus or shuttle....

Where of you pick up the little boats? I have never noticed them at the pier. I agree, the Bard & Banker on Government Street is a great place to have a brew or a glass of wine!

Edited by kennelgang

I have looked at this site in the past....it still does not tell you to where you can pick up the "little boats" in relation to the cruise pier. Nor does it give you any landmarks to relate to such as the Empress Hotel so you can get some logistics.

Any restaurant recs for Victoria? Tim, you mentioned fish & chips... Just curious about some places so eat that is walkable from the ship.

Thanks!!

Alaina

Red Fish Blue Fish is a great little place along the inner Harbour I think it's better than Barb's Fish and Chips and you are right in the Inner Harbour, which is great for exploring.

I also like the Flying Otter, which is in the Harbour air terminal in the harbour. Not fancy, but a great view of water planes coming and going and the food is good

We always take people there when they visit us.

I have looked at this site in the past....it still does not tell you to where you can pick up the "little boats" in relation to the cruise pier. Nor does it give you any landmarks to relate to such as the Empress Hotel so you can get some logistics.

If you are experiencing difficulty situating yourself and points of interest on the map, use the provided link to download the PDF version. It provides additional information.

There is a great place for ice cream right opposite Beacon Hill Park on Douglas Street. Fantastic soft ice cream and the cones are huge!!! :)

http://www.beacondrivein.ca/

We met some locals that were out for a walk one day and they told us about it ... I know just the spot. I am not a lover of ice cream ... I know...odd, huh? so never stopped in. I think I may just have to pop in next time I am there just to see what everyone is raving about.

PS -- I think there is a night time tour of Butchart Gardens offered when there is a late ship in port. They may have fairy lights strung up around the grounds. I bet it is gorgeous!

Is a passport needed to get off and back on the ship at Canadian stops.
Not for Americans. We just leave our passports locked in the safe.

I don't know about Canadian requirements for other nationalities, but if you need to take your passport with you, they should let you know.

On cruises where we needed to take our passports off with us at ports, they have always let us know in advance.

It is the evening, its only a few hours, to me really a wasted stop. We just roamed around the city and went back to the ship. Don't get me wrong, its a beautiful city. I think a lot of people did the gardens, don't remember the name but its on the list of excursions.

I agree, beautiful city and that's what we did. Wish Celebrity could run the cruise there with a more reasonable time, it was just odd.
The reason for the evening stop at Victoria is to satisfy the legal requirement for a stop at a foreign port.

The brief sightseeing time for the passengers there is just an extra added bonus.

If they wanted to provide more time in Victoria on the round trip Seattle itinerary, they would need to shorten the time at the last Alaska port.

Edited by varoo

HoHo Bus for me - for sure I want a stop at the Empress Hotel for a cocktail - and as its an evening stop - probably just do a bit of sightseeing -

Its also our last night and next day its the long endless journey home + a hefty time difference - so only getting off for an hour or two - see a few sights - and back on board the ship.

Can at last say I've been to Canada! :D

Not for Americans. We just leave our passports locked in the safe.

I don't know about Canadian requirements for other nationalities, but if you need to take your passport with you, they should let you know.

On cruises where we needed to take our passports off with us at ports, they have always let us know in advance.

Since there is little time in the port, and if there's a visa requirement for your passport, Guest Services will ask for your passport before arriving to Victoria and hand it to Canadian immigration and then give it back when you board back on the Solstice. It will be stamped as if you went through customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoHo Bus for me - for sure I want a stop at the Empress Hotel for a cocktail - and as its an evening stop - probably just do a bit of sightseeing -

Its also our last night and next day its the long endless journey home + a hefty time difference - so only getting off for an hour or two - see a few sights - and back on board the ship.

Can at last say I've been to Canada! :D

Across from the Empress is the inner harbour and offers a nice stroll where there is buskers performing in the summer time. You will also see our Parliament buildings all lit up.

Greg

victoria-legs.jpg.4beaf45dedf2faac910ba8a3a703ba50.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This was briefly discussed earlier...

So my wife has always wanted to visit Butchart Gardens. With our stop in Victoria we thought this would be our chance to cross this one off our list. Solstice will dock at 5:30 pm on June 9. On the gardens website it states that they close at 5:00 pm. Obviously the times do not allow for a visit. I have found that tours are available even through Celebrity for the evening we are in port. So does anyone know do the gardens remain open for cruise passengers and are closed to the general public? This would seem odd but at the same time I would see them wanting the $$.

Let me know if any of you have knowledge of this. Thanks

It does not get dark until very late. Dusk is about 10pm in late June. Victoria stop is simply a legal requirement that a foreign flagged ship cannot make a voyage without a foreign port.

FWIW - There are tiny little ferry boats that can take you to the inner harbor area. cost is a few dollars. Then you can walk downtown and visit the Empress Hotel.

Butchart Gardens is a great tour but as it is a bit of a drive from the pier would only do this one on a ship's tour.

It really depends on time of year. We sailed in early September, and it got dark pretty early. We did the ship's Buchart Gardens tour anyway because it was on our bucket list and we don't know if we will ever get back there. It was beautiful, but it definitely got dark about 2/3 through our tour. They have the gardens lit up, but you miss a lot of the beauty once the sun goes down. Not sorry we did it, but not sure when the OP's sail date is, so wanted to advise that time of sundown can vary greatly depending on time of year.

Here is the reply I received from Alice at Butchart Gardens

Thank you for your interest in The Butchart Gardens. There are several dates in May and June when the Gardens extends our hours to accommodate late arriving cruise ships. These are unadvertised openings and we will only remain open later if the cruise ships dock as scheduled; if they are delayed or cannot dock due to bad weather, we will close at our regular time of 5pm. One of these dates is Thursday, June 9. On this date if the evening cruise ships dock as scheduled, the Admission Gate will be open until 9pm and visitors can view the Gardens until 10pm. If the evening cruise ships are unable to dock for any reason (high winds, schedule delays), the Admission Gate will close at the regular time of 5pm, and visitors can view the Gardens until 6pm. Our Night Illuminations will be on at dusk on June 9.

This good news for those wanting to see the gardens.