Princess/HAL

karinad

Princess is the best fit for us but always have enjoyed HAL for port intensive cruises. Nice to return to a quiet ship that goes to sleep early when it's an early day next.

If Rolling Stones type of music is of great importance to you, you won't find it on HAL. ;)

Well....maybe not the Rolling Stones but is it mostly Big Band type music that we'd mostly find on HAL? We don't dance at all but it's always nice to hear a top 40's band or a good variety band. We're not even ones to stay up late especially pre-port nights. We're also not ones to go to the Broadway-like production shows anymore, but do appreciate a good solo singer, magicians, etc.

Also, we noticed with our past few cruises that the cruiselines don't play many movies on the cabin tv. Programming has really been sucking on sea tv! I know that we're not there to watch tv in the cabins, but there are times when you are there or not feeling good and just want to rest. I don't know if HAL is like this, but CCL, NCL, and RCCL are. We haven't sailed with Princess since 2009, so I can't say how they are.

In the last 5 years I been on HAL twice and just cruised Princess 2 weeks ago. They seemed more similar than different, with certain things I liked better on each. None of them were deal-breakers, and I would readily return to either.

First princess is booked

Have tried several lines....

But our favorite cruise was on HAL.... were in late forties at the time....now early 50s

They had a mixology class and a pub crawl that were both hysterical!

Have not seen those on other lines. :(

It is what you make it!

We kept the disco rockin till 2am!

The private island was great.....

No regrets!

Guess we will jump in with our 2 Pesos (in Mexico now). We have been Elite with Princess for many years and are also 4 Star Mariners (with about 350 days) on HAL. Just came off the Regal a few months ago (interesting ship without a single bar offering a decent seaview) and will soon be going on a 55 day HAL ship. One can not overstate the smoking issue on HAL because, in a word, it STINKS." Keep in mind that not only do they allow cigarette smoking on balconies, but they also permit Pipes and Cigars! For our upcoming 55 day cruise we, accordingly, booked an outside cabin (no balcony). When offered a very good upsell deal to a suite (with balcony) we turned it down because why should we pay for a balcony that may not be usable!

So, for anyone that does not smelling smoke and planning to try HAL, we suggest not paying the extra bucks (often significant on HAL vessels) for a balcony.

As to other comparisons, we do think that HAL generally has nicer cabins and better bedding then on Princess. Entertainment is hit or miss on both lines, although recent cut-backs on HAL have negatively impacted their entertainment. Food is pretty comparable with both lines having their pros and cons. One negative for HAL is that they have more limited dining hours then one finds on Princess....and they have nothing to compete/compare with our beloved International Cafe on Princess. One should also pay attention to HAL itineraries for their times in ports. In recent years it seems that HAL has cut hours off of many port calls...which allows them to slow down their ships and save fuel costs. While this is not always the case, one should not forget to review those port times.

Hank

Interesting well thought out comparison, Hank. There is no comparison to the Crows Nest Lounge on the HAL ships, our favorite place!

We have been on many different Princess vessels and just do not understand how they could design their new family of ships (Royal and Regal) without a single "bar with a view." Many of us take long cruises, with many sea days, because we love to be at sea, gaze out at the horizon, sip our drinks, etc. Princess seems determined to convince passengers they are in a hotel lobby as opposed to out at sea.

Hank

Just did the same thing but for September 2017. Couldn't find an itinerary anywhere close on other lines. Smokers put me off but you know what? we handled that for years on Princess before they outlawed it on balconies so we'll live. Funny you're already booked on a TA, so are we and doing the same debate on Sea Days. We'll keep both booked for a while as the TA is about $1,400 cheaper but I think we'll end up with HAL.

If you can get one of the northern route TAs they are spectacular. Generally max of two sea days between ports and Greenland, Iceland, Faroes and Shetlands are must sees! And you get a certificate for crossing the Arctic Circle.

We have been on one HAL cruise. It was our first and last time.

We did enjoy the spacious cabin (it was much larger than the equivalent on Princess).

Otherwise the ship was not in the best shape, the food was bland at best (I actually send MDR food back twice on s 7night cruise) and the entertainment was not very entertaining. The average age on our HAL cruise was somewhere upwards of 80, and the "highlight" of the cruise was passengers having an informal scooter race on the Lido deck.