BEWARE! We flew 6,700 miles to Norway and then they cancelled our cruise!

Smbruner

We were scheduled to sail on the Midnatsol on January 29 - Feb 9.

We arrived in Bergen on January 28 and were notified that evening that there was a "problem" with the Midnatsol and the sailing would be delayed.

After moving all of the cruise guests to one local hotel they told us it would be a one day delay because they had to exchange out one of the engines and it still wasn't working (found out later this was so they could take the ship to Antarctica this summer). Then on Saturday, the day they told us we would sail we were informed that our trip was flat out CANCELLED!

We had to line up for over 2 hours to see what could be done for us, we were told we had 3 options. 1. To fly home 2. To join another ship already at sea 3. to Join a ship that would be leaving in a few days. It was so mismanaged, none of the representatives had computers, they couldn't tell us what stateroom category we would be in or if we would even get on. They were just writing notes on pieces of paper. So, my husband and I decided to cut our losses and fly home to Los Angeles, CA.

We had reserved the Expedition Suite (highest category on this ship) and we were unwilling to now had an inside cabin. After talking to others at the airport in Bergen we found out that one couple was going to take option 2 and when they went downstairs to find out about timing to get to the airport for the charter flight to catch the other ship, the representative said "That was never an option!"

Never ONCE did anyone for Hurtigruten say "I'm so sorry" - not one word of apology We were never treated with any respect!

And as one fellow passenger pointed out they had to have known about this before many of us even left home as you can't arrange for a hotel to accommodate over 350 people at the last minute! Once home, I could tell that Hurtigruten called me on Thursday AM (we flew out on Wednesday AM), but they didn't leave a message. They did call back on Saturday AM but by then we were in Bergen staying at the hotel they provided.

We arranged our own flights home (we had used miles to fly first class to and from Norway). I don't know if they will reimburse me for my 200,000 miles

We returned from dinner to find flight arrangements for us to get to Green Bay, Wisconsin! We had met 2 sisters on the bus city tour that day who live in Wisconsin so I knew it was supposed to be for them. I found them on Sunday and showed them the E-ticket and even though they understood what had happened the stupid lady from Hurtigruten didn't understand.

There was a fairly large group from France who we found out did get to go on one of the ships. But, my husband and I were not with a group so we were basically on our own.

I would NEVER attempt to sail with Hurtigruten and if any of you are planning on doing a sailing I would be very cautious. One couple was from Australia on their honeymoon and had to turn around and fly back home!

I've been on over 10 cruises and never in my life have I been treated like this before. We had booked this in June 2015 and the disappointment much less the frustration has been so overwhelming.

What happened to you was not good, you appear not to have been treated well, and I sympathise, but you say 'We had reserved the Expedition Suite (highest category on this ship) and we were unwilling to now had an inside cabin'. Why not take the offer of a cabin on another ship rather than lose the trip completely? We spent minimal time in our cabin on each of our trips: it is, after all, about the landscape and the ports of call.

If i thought i was going away and had booked the most premium category on the ship i wouldnt be happy with an inside cabin either. I would rather not cruise if i could only do it in an inside cabin. Even the thought of me being in a windowless room with no natural ventelation or light makes me feel yucky. I go these places to "see" the country/area. I am also a bit un-sociable so i like hanging out in my room balcony door open listening to the sea. The actual stateroom makes a big difference to me. I like a bit of luxury. Prob to much - as i wouldnt say i was by anymeans rich lol.

If my trip involved flying 6700 miles I wouldn't turn round and go home. I would take the offer of a cabin in the expectation that, for at least part of the trip, an outside cabin of some description would become available. It's unlikely that the ship would be completely booked out.

But that's what I would do...

I would have taken the offered cabin as well, with the expectation that I would have been paid back the price difference (at the very least).

I'm really sorry for your bad experience and obviously you have not been treated well. Hurtigruten have a solid history for good customer service, so what you are reporting is very worrysome. I hope that at least you will have financial compensation, please let us know what happens next.

I had 2 of my (expedition) trips cancelled by Hurtigruten, but it was some time before the cruise date, and what I have been offered in compensation far made up for the disappointment (basically, both times I ended up doing similar or better trips for half the money). It was under the previous (Norwegian) management, so I hope that the new management hasn't lost that.

I would have taken the offered cabin as well, with the expectation that I would have been paid back the price difference (at the very least).

I'm really sorry for your bad experience and obviously you have not been treated well. Hurtigruten have a solid history for good customer service, so what you are reporting is very worrysome. I hope that at least you will have financial compensation, please let us know what happens next.

I had 2 of my (expedition) trips cancelled by Hurtigruten, but it was some time before the cruise date, and what I have been offered in compensation far made up for the disappointment (basically, both times I ended up doing similar or better trips for half the money). It was under the previous (Norwegian) management, so I hope that the new management hasn't lost that.

I so agree with what you said. Ever since the new management took over there have been many changes; none good, IMO. They seem to be trying to be more "Cruise" than "Coastal": 4 catagories or classes on board, charging for water, higher prices for excursions, a new website that is not user-friendly, etc. I cannot imagine the Midnatsol in Antartica, even though they intend to reduce the passenger load, it is still a huge ship and the number of people allowed on land at one time in that region is limited. It will be interesting to see what the future brings.

If i thought i was going away and had booked the most premium category on the ship i wouldnt be happy with an inside cabin either. I would rather not cruise if i could only do it in an inside cabin. Even the thought of me being in a windowless room with no natural ventelation or light makes me feel yucky. I go these places to "see" the country/area. I am also a bit un-sociable so i like hanging out in my room balcony door open listening to the sea. The actual stateroom makes a big difference to me. I like a bit of luxury. Prob to much - as i wouldnt say i was by anymeans rich lol.

I agree. Sitting in a suite gives the option of enjoying the scenery in the privacy of your room. Plus there are other amenities and perks that make it worthwhile for us. My husband is in a wheelchair and a suite allows him to enjoy the cruise while an inside room would be unbearable for him. (And me too...I think I would go nuts being enclosed.) One of the suites with the bay window would be an option for me but certainly not an inside room.

Do follow up with a call to customer service and politely ask to speak with someone higher up who has the authority to compensate you properly. Mention the cost, time lost, and any and all relevant factors that result in your disappointment. Flying all that way is an ordeal not to mention the cost. If one poster got a better cruise for half the price you should get more satisfaction. She was notified well before sail date and she was flying from a shorter distance.

Persistence, politeness, firmness and an idea of what you would consider fair compensation will hopefully result is satisfaction for you.

Our cruise was wonderful. I hope they make things right for you so that you will be able to enjoy a good experience.

As an after though, I understand some people can get results by posting on Twitter or Facebook but I am not that technically astute.

What happened to you was not good, you appear not to have been treated well, and I sympathise, but you say 'We had reserved the Expedition Suite (highest category on this ship) and we were unwilling to now had an inside cabin'. Why not take the offer of a cabin on another ship rather than lose the trip completely? We spent minimal time in our cabin on each of our trips: it is, after all, about the landscape and the ports of call.

They couldn't even tell us if we COULD get on another ship for sure, as there were 3 people writing down what people wanted to do and none of them spoke to each other or were on a computer. So, when you walked away you didn't know what they were going to place you.

And as it turned out we found out that many of the people who did ask to be put on another ship were told "now there is no room" or "we don't have that option". THEN they needed to find flights home. It was a very unprofessional way to take care of their cruise guests. It just didn't leave us feeling like they were going to really take care of us.

Had it been done where as we walked up, said what we'd like to do and they could say "okay, you will be on THIS ship and have a cabin" then we might have done that. BUT, none of the representatives had a solid answer.

If we had brought different clothing, and not for the Arctic we would've just stayed in Europe and traveled for a few weeks. As it was we had only very cold weather clothing and not conducive to travel to France or Germany.

Needless to say, I cried for days and lost my faith in this company - that's for sure!

If we had brought different clothing, and not for the Arctic we would've just stayed in Europe and traveled for a few weeks. As it was we had only very cold weather clothing and not conducive to travel to France or Germany.

I understand you were upset about the whole thing (and I sympathise) but if this was your only reason not to use your time to travel in Europe then maybe it was a bit hasty decision. It is still winter in Europe, you need warm coats, just use less layers under them if necessary. Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland, the French Alps, etc... can actually be colder than the Norwegian coast at this season.

But again, I'm really feeling for you for this unfortunate adventure. Keep in touch with Hurtigruten regarding compensation and let us know please if there is any positive outcome (I hope there is).

...none of the representatives had a solid answer...

But, given a little more time, perhaps they would have?

If I had travelled that far, and my clothing really was unsuitable, I would have bought a minimal amount of suitable clothing rather than return home with nothing to show for my hours in the air.

As SarniaLo has observed, from what you have posted, you may have been a little hasty in the decisions you made. We have taken two Hurtigruten coastal trips and five expedition trips, with a sixth on the way, and have learnt that when it comes to ships and the sea nothing is guaranteed and it's best to relax and go with the flow.

Even on large cruise ships there can be disappointment: we once missed a call at Stanley in the Falklands when a Force 12 blew up. We were on a huge Holland America ship and sailing past in the calm before the storm was seriously disappointing, especially as we had chosen that itinerary specifically for its call in the Falklands and nothing else. We flew a round trip of ~14,500 miles between the UK and South America to take it,.

We went with Hurtigruten 2 years ago and in a storm a lifeboat got damaged.

All passengers had to leave the ship and we went by a fast ferry to the next port.

They gave us a very nice dinner in a hotel (with wine) and then we rejoined the ship.

On the return -south run- with impending storm and huge waves the rest of the cruise was cancelled and we were flown home. Both mishaps were handled brilliantly and

we were well compensated for missed days.

We are only in the UK so it must have been more distressing being so far from home

also as unlike weather it was a forseeable problem so they should have had a plan in place.

Digiti - I believe only one in four or maybe five cruises to the Falklands get to

go. It is a long tender trip so often too risky. We were one of the lucky ones

and the Horn was equally as calm the captain remarked that it was the most placid

he had seen it in 3 years. Some hardy passengers even said they would have liked it a bit rougher!! to see what it was really like. Cant please all the people............

But, given a little more time, perhaps they would have?

They did have an answer for friends we made, only to later recant and say "that was never an option". It was obvious that the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing and what's more, they didn't care! Apparently, any rooms available on other ships went to a group from France, not any individual travelers.

"If I had traveled that far, and my clothing really was unsuitable, I would have bought a minimal amount of suitable clothing rather than return home with nothing to show for my hours in the air."

Unfortunately, we didn't know where to go after this huge let down. We had traveled to unpack ONCE and stay on board for 11 days. Not to travel from country to country and so our luggage and clothing did not suit the change of plans. Had we known where to visit or had friends in Europe then that might have been an option. As it was, we had to go with what was given (or not given) to us.

As I said before. There was no one from Hurtigruten who had one solid answer in 3 days or could even offer an apology for what had happened. It was quite obvious that we were not given a thought.

In all of my travels I've never seen anything so mismanaged.

I only posted the original post as a warning to others who might be planning their special trip and traveling far to perhaps check with the line before they leave home and make sure that THEIR cruise will indeed be on schedule.

So sorry that you were treated so poorly. I really can't even imagine what it would fell like! Horrible I"m sure.

We each have different tolerances for disappointment and regrouping, making lemonade out of lemons etc, but what has been described here would damage confidence in Hurtigruten for anyone.

When was the new management change? Just curious as we cruised on Midnatsol just over a year ago and thought highly of it (water issue aside).

As for missing a window room, I think there's not a lot to see in late January with so little light but missing out on a fancy suite with balcony etc, that would be a major change in the ambiance of the cruise. I hope you can enjoy something wonderful with what I assume will by a compensation package. m--

I am sorry your cruise was cancelled and understand your disappointment. It sounds like your situation could have been handled much better by Hurtigruten.

Because I book long haul flights and do land travel, in addition to a cruise, I no longer book cruises too far ahead, because rescheduling of ships is becoming more common.

Because I book long haul flights and do land travel, in addition to a cruise, I no longer book cruises too far ahead, because rescheduling of ships is becoming more common.

Unfortunately, that's not always an option if you want to book a particular cabin on a particular ship on a particular itinerary which is, more often than not, the case with us. Having booked my (expensive) longhaul flight and then finding I couldn't get the cruise I wanted would not be acceptable.

When we're booking an expedition cruise it's always essential to book well ahead. Our upcoming Antarctic trip was booked around two years in advance of the date we will sail!

Wow! How disappointing! What a terrible experience! Im surprised they didn't email you as well. I assume you didn't bring your cell phone? They should have had alternate ships and rooms already assigned! Not sure I would have wasted the miles and flown home, but from what you say, you didn't have much choice. My voyage on the Midnatsol is quickly approaching. March 2. I think the clothes I'm taking would work elsewhere in Scandinavia, other than the shoes (boots) which I'll consider now adding a more light weight pair. And as you or someone said, surely the must have known weeks if not months ago they were going to need to swap out the engines and cut the cruise short, if nothing else. Well perhaps you'll do a mainstream cruise up the coast in the warmer months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hurtigruten representative I met yesterday said Midnatsol had had two new propellers installed and the engine issue arose when the need for a spare part became apparent at the last minute and its arrival from Germany was delayed.

Wow! How disappointing! What a terrible experience! Im surprised they didn't email you as well. I assume you didn't bring your cell phone? They should have had alternate ships and rooms already assigned! Not sure I would have wasted the miles and flown home, but from what you say, you didn't have much choice. My voyage on the Midnatsol is quickly approaching. March 2. I think the clothes I'm taking would work elsewhere in Scandinavia, other than the shoes (boots) which I'll consider now adding a more light weight pair. And as you or someone said, surely the must have known weeks if not months ago they were going to need to swap out the engines and cut the cruise short, if nothing else. Well perhaps you'll do a mainstream cruise up the coast in the warmer months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I DID have my cell phone and I gave them my number. Not to mention they knew what room we were in at the hotel since they booked it for us. I understand that the company had been sold or there is new management, I don't know. I just know that after spending all of that time researching and shopping for this "trip of a lifetime" we were VERY disappointed, and the Hurtigruten representatives in Bergen could have cared less!

As for your clothing, I would just plan on layering as when you go into a room or hotel or any place else in Norway (at least Bergen) they have the heater on full blast so you have to start peeling off your clothes to breathe. Good luck with your trip! Hope they don't disappoint you the way they did us!