pool and hot tub water

Tracik

I was told the pool was water from the ocean. Is this true? If so, just wondering how it can be chlorinated?

We have been on once cruise 5 years ago. Carnival triumph. It was in February and pretty cool out so we never got in the pool. Couldn't get in the hot tub because the few kids that were on the cruise took them over. And then wouldn't get in them because I am sure they peeing up a storm in them. lol

Hot tubs are always chlorinated....they don't want bacteria growing in that warm water!

Salt water pools need no chlorine...the salt inhibits bacterial growth and as said...the pools are drained and re-filled daily..

You think? Not the case on the SKY -

Pool at 10.30am - cigarette ends -bits of lemon - and band aids made for a nice wee pile of deathly bacteria at the bottom of the main pool- we reported it (as we did the wasps, and the million other things that made us christen the SKY the "scabby sky") - an officer came up - inspected it - half an hour later (whereupon in between people dived in none the wiser) a pool guy came up with a net and their answer to cleaning it was to lift the dirt out in a net ... THAT was IT! That pool water was never change in four days , bit like the sheets and towels really!

Luckily we have both seen the other side of NCL - or we would never cruise again - it was disgusting - not to mention the danger to health.

We will never do a short cruise again - that pool and hot tub *shudders*!

Hot tubs are always chlorinated....they don't want bacteria growing in that warm water!

Salt water pools need no chlorine...the salt inhibits bacterial growth and as said...the pools are drained and re-filled daily..

Salt water does not inhibit bacterial growth - there are tons of bacteria in the ocean including the flesh eating variety. People at Florida beaches were getting infected a year or so ago.

You can chlorinate salt water. No problem there. Fairly certain that is how the water was treated on my last CCL cruise. On Norwegian I think it is the same. The pool was DEFINATELY not drained nightly. Nope.

The pool being out in the open air with constant air flow means that they can be CONSIDERABLY less discerning about whether they over chlorinate or not. Any gas released is not going to stick around long enough to hurt anyone.

A word to the wise, I'd be way more suspicious of local pools at schools or local YMCA's than of the pool on a cruise ship. Even if the water gets changed once a week on a cruise ship that's WAY more than your local pools. Those literally NEVER get drained and refilled other than maybe 2x per year. A local YMCA around here was not chlorinating and cleaning in an appropriate manner causing chlorine gas to off gas and giving countless swimmers very mild asthma symptoms.

Where is Chengkp75 when we need him?

Here I am to save the day! :D

The main pools are sea water. Sea water pools are operated in two different modes. When the ship is more than 12 miles from shore, they may operate in "flow through" mode. Here sea water is continually pumped to the pool, and the overflow goes right back to the ocean. Since the water is continually changing, there is no need for chlorination.

When within 12 miles of shore, sea water pools (and fresh water pools at all times) are in "recirculation" mode, where the sea water is pumped in to fill the pool, and then is recirculated through filters, and continuously monitored and chlorine dosed. And I mean continuously. Unlike pools on shore, as the water recirculates to the filters, sensors check the chlorine level, and then adjust continuously running dosing pumps to add chlorine as needed. Chlorine levels are maintained at 2-4ppm, which is generally higher than shoreside pools.

Pools are required to be drained once a week.

Hot tubs are always fresh water, and are to be drained daily and also super-chlorinated to 100ppm while closed. Hot tubs are generally chlorinated to 8-10ppm, which is much higher than most private hot tubs.

These are all the requirements of the USPH Vessel Sanitation Program, which controls all aspects of foreign flag cruise ship operations when calling at US ports.

The main pools are sea water. Sea water pools are operated in two different modes. When the ship is more than 12 miles from shore, they may operate in "flow through" mode. Here sea water is continually pumped to the pool, and the overflow goes right back to the ocean. Since the water is continually changing, there is no need for chlorination.

When within 12 miles of shore, sea water pools (and fresh water pools at all times) are in "recirculation" mode, where the sea water is pumped in to fill the pool, and then is recirculated through filters, and continuously monitored and chlorine dosed. And I mean continuously. Unlike pools on shore, as the water recirculates to the filters, sensors check the chlorine level, and then adjust continuously running dosing pumps to add chlorine as needed. Chlorine levels are maintained at 2-4ppm, which is generally higher than shoreside pools.

Hot tubs are always fresh water, and are to be drained daily and also super-chlorinated to 100ppm while closed. Hot tubs are generally chlorinated to 8-10ppm, which is much higher than most private hot tubs.

These are all the requirements of the USPH Vessel Sanitation Program, which controls all aspects of foreign flag cruise ship operations when calling at US ports.

GREAT information! Thanks!

I very RARELY will get in a hot tub. It just grosses me out! LOL All that hot water and people peeing in it or going in it with std's. YUCK!

• 1 month later...

Funny, we have a pool and hot at home, and live very close to our own beach (Virginia Beach, Va)

So spending time in the pool while on a cruise is not a bid draw. Now if we are into a hot tub dip later after dinner sure.

I make my living selling many different bottled waters, and Im a VOSS water lover. But I drink tap water from home, work, most places for dinner that bring water.

We only drink water (2 glasses) with our meals while we cruise, and some people seem to thank water on ships are not clean. Its not like they have holding tanks that they fill up while in port.

traveling soon for 2 week cruise, and just to be fair we will be spending time in pool and hot tubs and on our return I will let you know if we got sick from drinking it, or swimming in it, or soaking in it. I mean unless I was all wrong and our skin falls off.

Jerry and Donna

next stop NCL STAR April 17 TA :rolleyes:

Funny, we have a pool and hot at home, and live very close to our own beach (Virginia Beach, Va)

So spending time in the pool while on a cruise is not a bid draw. Now if we are into a hot tub dip later after dinner sure.

I make my living selling many different bottled waters, and Im a VOSS water lover. But I drink tap water from home, work, most places for dinner that bring water.

We only drink water (2 glasses) with our meals while we cruise, and some people seem to thank water on ships are not clean. Its not like they have holding tanks that they fill up while in port.

traveling soon for 2 week cruise, and just to be fair we will be spending time in pool and hot tubs and on our return I will let you know if we got sick from drinking it, or swimming in it, or soaking in it. I mean unless I was all wrong and our skin falls off.

Jerry and Donna

next stop NCL STAR April 17 TA :rolleyes:

Well, they actually do have holding tanks, the Star would have about 3000-4000 metric tons worth of potable water capacity, while using 800-1000 metric tons of water per day. While the ship does make water while underway, depending on the itinerary, the ship's watermakers may not be able to keep up with demand (not enough hours at sea), so some water is loaded in ports. This water must be from a known source, and the particular hydrant that it comes from must have been tested and met the USPH standards for drinking water, within the last month. Further, the water is chlorinated as it is piped to the storage tanks, and any water taken in port must be kept segregated and not used until a coliform bacteria test is done, which takes 18-24 hours.

I have a water question - I usually drink water from the taps on ships. By the end of the cruise I am feeling very swollen and bloated. On my last cruise, I drank mostly bottled water and the effect was not as bad.

You can see below which ships I have sailed most often.

Is it true that the desalination process leaves some salt in the water?

Edited by KarenMF

The "Hot Tubs" on NCL ships I have cruised on are NOT "Hot Tubs" at all, more like "Lukewarm Tubs"!!! vbg. Our free town swimming pool is at least 4-5 degrees C hotter than the "HTs" on the ship. I like my "HTs" HOT!!

Mike

I have a water question - I usually drink water from the taps on ships. By the end of the cruise I am feeling very swollen and bloated. On my last cruise, I drank mostly bottled water and the effect was not as bad.

You can see below which ships I have sailed most often.

Is it true that the desalination process leaves some salt in the water?

Hoping the OP doesn't mind if this veers off pool water to drinking water.

Ships use both flash evaporators and reverse osmosis watermakers to desalinate water. Evaporators do just that, evaporate the sea water and then condense it as distilled water. This water has virtually no salt or sodium in it, usually less than 1ppm. Reverse osmosis units are not quite as efficient, but if the sodium content reaches 10-20ppm, the unit will stop making the water to the ship's tanks, and will dump it overboard. 20ppm is the upper limit recommended by the EPA/FDA for those who need limited sodium diets.

I believe there are two reasons for your difference in water retention between ship's water and bottled. One is chlorine, which has been known to affect water retention. Chlorine levels in ship's drinking water is higher than in municipal water supplies. One way around this is to drink water from the buffet, bar, or dining venue (the water in the pitchers the waiter brings) sources. These water dispensers have charcoal filters that remove the chlorine, not for your taste benefit, but because it can scale up the machinery. Alternatively, fill a pitcher or glass from your sink tap and leave it sit open for a few hours (overnight maybe), and the chlorine will dissipate naturally.

The other reason you can have a difference in water retention is hydration. When you use bottled water, you are toting it around, and you are more aware of water, so you most likely drink more of it. Interestingly, lack of hydration can cause the body to retain what water it does have, and lead to swelling.

Well, they actually do have holding tanks, the Star would have about 3000-4000 metric tons worth of potable water capacity, while using 800-1000 metric tons of water per day. While the ship does make water while underway, depending on the itinerary, the ship's watermakers may not be able to keep up with demand (not enough hours at sea), so some water is loaded in ports. This water must be from a known source, and the particular hydrant that it comes from must have been tested and met the USPH standards for drinking water, within the last month. Further, the water is chlorinated as it is piped to the storage tanks, and any water taken in port must be kept segregated and not used until a coliform bacteria test is done, which takes 18-24 hours.

no worry here fill our glass,

thanks for the info, just doesn't worry me, now if I was in Flint maybe

Donna

• 1 year later...