Star Princess vs golden, emerald and coral?

Mrs.Gosse

Hi everybody. Looking to use our future cruise credit that we received for our very rough post dry dock voyage on the coral for a land and sea Alaska next year. It appears the coral and Island are the predominant ships next season. We were not a fan of the coral, nothing to do with the issue she had post dry dock. We have absolutely loved the golden and we like the Emerald. I'm not in a position to get on the computer and do some through research on the Star Princess. But she is also sailing a few select dates next summer. Was wondering if anyone could give me your opinion on her compared to the other ships I have listed.

Coral and Golden are a toss up for me. Love the Window Suites on the Golden and would book one in a heartbeat. Oh, I have....for 25 days!

Worth a try since your fare is already reduced by compensation.

Otherwise, I would do the Coral again.

Which one does Glacier Bay?

Good luck. What a dilemma.

In 2017 only Island , Coral and Star are going between Vancouver and Anchorage . The same three ships are doing that route this year .

My preference would be the Coral . Since the Island was modified in 2015 . The reports coming from the ship seem to very negative . Many issues with new added cabins have been reported . Vibrations thru out the ship since the modifications.

I'm definitely not leaning towards the island after what everyone has told me about the remodel. As for the coral, my previous experience isn't tainting my feeling on the ship. She just wasn't my favorite ship. I felt like I was turned around all the time. The elevator banks were weird for me and it was hard for me to get my bearings. Plus she had such a small atrium . Plus I didn't love the horizon court being at the front of the ship, especially when I'm running up there to try and get some food in my stomach because I'm motion sick lol

There is a fairly good sale going on right now but it is only for the coral not the star.

In 2017 only Island , Coral and Star are going between Vancouver and Anchorage . The same three ships are doing that route this year .

My preference would be the Coral . Since the Island was modified in 2015 . The reports coming from the ship seem to very negative . Many issues with new added cabins have been reported . Vibrations thru out the ship since the modifications.

I booked on the Island for a May 2017 Alaska Cruise Tour, but after I did that and reading the reviews...I jumped ship and have gone to Star Princess. I like a bigger ship with International Café and Movies under the Stars.

The Coral is a bit smaller passenger wise it was considered but passed on too.

I like where I am now and looking forward to my 2nd Alaska Cruise, and 1st Cruise Tour.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite is definitely the Emerald, BUT for Alaska, it's best to do a Voyage of the Glaciers one way cruise to see the most, and the Emerald is not doing that. The Star would be closest to the Emerald, just older. The Island is the sister ship to the Coral, so I wouldn't recommend that since you don't like the Coral.

Ok. Never said i was trying to take the Emerald OR the Golden to Alaska next. I obviously don't get to choose the ships that go. I was saying what ships I've been on so someone could compare them for me. If someone told me the star is like the Dawn princess that would mean nothing to me. I've never been on her.

Perhaps someone could comment or make a comparison between the Star and the Coral on features that would be important in Alaska, like viewing places inside and outside?

What about the size difference?

Any major differences in terms of restaurants and theaters/entertainment?

Perhaps someone could comment or make a comparison between the Star and the Coral on features that would be important in Alaska, like viewing places inside and outside?

What about the size difference?

Any major differences in terms of restaurants and theaters/entertainment?

Why? The fore and aft exterior viewing decks, now gone on the Island. The Star has no equivalent aft and these are GREAT places, no wind, covered and virtually vacant in the afternoon to watch the islands slide by.

The aft decks will be open for everyone, regardless, and sometimes the fore viewing decks are opened as well, but are pretty windy and cold, but are great for Panama Canal cruises.

The entertainment venues are similar, but smaller as the star has a lot more passengers.

Another advantage to the Coral is the mid ship bumpout balconies. These are great viewing platforms as well.

I've done both in Alaska. I loved both Star and Coral. Star is bigger than Coral. Star has Skywalkers which is nice to see Glacier Bay in a warm place. Coral has great places to watch glacier bay as well. I loved them both and if I had a choice when I go back to Alaska, I would choose either one. For me the itinerary is the deciding factor. As long as Glacier Bay is one of the places, that's what would help me decided.

The Star is the most like the Golden if that's what you want. The Star is bigger and will have more people which means there will be more people inside on a cold weather cruise. The Star is a nice ship and I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. The Star has nice indoor viewing from Skywalkers.

That said, if I were making the choice I would pick the Coral. Smaller and less people. Superior outdoor forward and aft viewing areas. The Coral always seems much less crowded to me. I like how they remodeled the Horizon Court. One issue with the Coral is that the Horizon Court is forward and some people will camp out there for indoor scenery viewing, but it really never affected us when we ate there.

Finally, I'd choose a cruise that includes Glacier Bay.

• 4 weeks later...
I booked on the Island for a May 2017 Alaska Cruise Tour, but after I did that and reading the reviews...I jumped ship and have gone to Star Princess. I like a bigger ship with International Café and Movies under the Stars.

The Coral is a bit smaller passenger wise it was considered but passed on too.

I like where I am now and looking forward to my 2nd Alaska Cruise, and 1st Cruise Tour.

When you come back from your trip can you emal me and let me know how/if you enjoyed the Star, I know it's all about the scenery in alaska, but I still am picky (i guess you could say) on the ships, I too keep going back and forth between the Star and the Coral and just can't decide, I know once I get on the ship it really won't matter :) askforgiveness@aol.com

We have sailed on the Island and Coral, however we chose the Star for Alaska for 9/17. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them as they all have their "best" features.

Looking forward to the Star.

Cindy

The above information is not exactly correct on some parts...

We have booked May 23, 2017 for our Alaska Land Cruise for 11 days on Land and Star Princess for the cruise.. We are doing the land portion first, cruise second. We are flying into Fairbanks 1 night, and Denali 2 nights, and Mt McKinley 4 night. We will board our ship the STAR Princess in Whittier to continue with the cruise to Vancouver where we will depart for home. To my understanding Star will be doing both North and South bound trips.

Whatever Princess ship you decide upon... you will have a wonderful time visiting Alaska. Our first cruise ever was Inside passage on Golden Princess.

:)