Senator Nelson calls for NTSB to investigate Anthems Feb 7 sailing.

Is an investigation necessary?  

467 members have voted

1. 1. Is an investigation necessary?

• Yes the NTSB should investigate
    • No the NTSB should not investiagte

This is the safest area to cruise in the world, just off the Eastern US.

As a (retired) Gulfstream IV Captain this does not seem right? With modern weather & navigation technology there is no way this can happen!

The Captain & Crew will probably be going into lock down upon arrival. The lawyers will be waiting at the docks for this one.

We will see.

CaptDave

This is the safest area to cruise in the world, just off the Eastern US.

As a (retired) Gulfstream IV Captain this does not seem right? With modern weather & navigation technology there is no way this can happen!

The Captain & Crew will probably be going into lock down upon arrival. The lawyers will be waiting at the docks for this one.

We will see.

CaptDave

Gosh, it took me a couple of seconds to appreciate the humor in your post!

I got it when I realized that no one could be serious about what you said.

Ah, I see you are a retired Gulfstream IV captain. Nice!

gulfstream-iv-1.jpg

To discover what exactly?

That a perfect decision can be made using hind sight?

My favorite posts about this have been from supposed meteorologist claiming to have "predicted this exact outcome of this storm", maybe they did, but what about all the ones they have gotten wrong in the past? How many of their colleagues were predicting the exact opposite of the true out come. A broken clock is right twice a day.

I remember back in October a bit before our cruise there was a hurricane developing in the Bahamas, there were literally 10 US prediction tracks and 3 EU tracks. It ended up taking the middle EU track that nailed Bermuda. Following some folks logic that means all the cruise lines should have shut down operations on all of the possible tracks.

That's not the question needing to be asked. The question that needs to be asked is why a federal lawmaker doesn't know the law? The NTSB has no jurisdiction over a foreign flag ship operating in international waters. Even if they did have jurisdiction, there was no loss of life, or serious injuries, so what is to investigate. Peruse my posts on the various Anthem storm and investigation threads for more.

That's not the question needing to be asked. The question that needs to be asked is why a federal lawmaker doesn't know the law? The NTSB has no jurisdiction over a foreign flag ship operating in international waters. Even if they did have jurisdiction, there was no loss of life, or serious injuries, so what is to investigate. Peruse my posts on the various Anthem storm and investigation threads for more.

Cheng, you are really starting to annoy me by being so right all the time. But at least we have you here! :D

Also, why all this talk about Anthem needing a dry dock? You think? I don't, but...

Couldn't divers look for any hull / pod damage? If QE2 (yes, here goes Lou again!) could take a 100' wave on the bow plating (fo'csle) have it dented, and not have it repaired until the next dry dock over a year later, what issue could there be here?

Cheng, you are really starting to annoy me by being so right all the time. But at least we have you here! :D

Also, why all this talk about Anthem needing a dry dock? You think? I don't, but...

Couldn't divers look for any hull / pod damage? If QE2 (yes, here goes Lou again!) could take a 100' wave on the bow plating (fo'csle) have it dented, and not have it repaired until the next dry dock over a year later, what issue could there be here?

As one other poster on the locked thread stated, some cruise lines will have internal procedures for inspecting (by the Chief) certain areas of known high stress, from the design stage. If there is no visible damage at these points, there is no legal requirement, nor a class requirement to have a drydock. They could have divers do an inspection, but there is not likely to be any damage done to the pods, thrusters, or stabilizers.

The damage you mention on the QE2 was damage to plating. The only reason this was repaired was for cosmetics. Generally, if plating is deformed in a gradual way (in other words it curves inwards from the framework on all four sides), there is no reason to ever renew it. Even when there is a marked crease, there are standards of how much deflection per inch is allowed, and unless frames are bent or tripped, again no reason to repair. I really doubt there is any damage whatsoever to the hull below the waterline, as it does not see the impact force that bow plating sees in this kind of storm, which is what deforms steel.

Unless a pod or thruster has started leaking oil, and weathering a storm does not usually initiate something like this, there is no need to drydock the ship. Even a leaking thruster can be repaired in the water, while in service. I did this on my ship in Hawaii, where the divers took the thruster apart during port stays, and lashed everything back in the tunnel to get underway. It took about a week to do it this way, but kept the ship in service.

I think that someone does need to investigate why that Captain put them in that situation

RCCL obviously needs help in their decision making policies

See my posts #12 & 13 on this thread for what will happen, and why there will not be a US investigation, or one that will have any effect:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2313074

I read that and I also read that unless there were injuries related to the storm the chances of suing were slim. I'm wondering about the 2 that was rumored to have had heart attacks, I haven't heard much but then I haven't read every single post so I apologize in advance.

NOAA isn't blaming anybody or saying they screwed up. They said that they issued an advisory that winds may go from 63 to 75 mph. If the winds had been at the level predicted there most likely would not have been any issues with the ship or the cruise continuing on. Even the "weather experts" talk of how quickly this storm developed into something much larger and stronger than predicted. Yes they knew there was a storm and went anyway. The storm was not supposed to be that large and it seemed they could avoid the main portion of the originally predicted storm.