Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

Not often I find myself on the same side of an argument as you but this time I agree 100%.

I also agree with loubetti. Some people have NO business going on a cruise.

For every one Royal loses over this the will likely gain two to replace them.

I like this logic. Sail through a storm, end a cruise early, turn the ship around

and pick up two new cruisers for every one you lose. If you want to double your business cut your advertising budget, look for a major storm and head right for it.

Go back and check the FACTS. storm was predicted 20 to 30 foot seas and 30 to 40 mph winds with gusts to 50 mph. Storm was not upgraded until 5:50pm on Sunday and Anthem was already in the storm which was THREE times worse than what was protected.

Exactly. Saturday here in Ma we were just going to get a little snow, then Sunday it blew up, we had blizzard warning posted for Monday.

As I sit here on my sunlounger in the solarium with the sun now peeking through the clouds every now and again and the distant sounds of the waves gently crashing against the bow of the ship I can almost feel that I'm sat on the beach on Coco Cay where we should have been today.

The only thing that brings me back to reality is the woman walking past telling her husband in a loud disappointed New Jersey accent that her fries were cold.

I think I'm going to write a book on my general observations of people on cruise ships, a constant source of genuine amusement.

Don't you just love the Solarium. It's perfect for the colder sea days.

I think I have to take a break from Cruise Critic for a few weeks. This is out of control.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't leave me here all alone with the scary people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're my favorite villain. :)

OP- Yes please make sure you organize a boycott for Liberty so I can get a price drop. ;) I totally get that many were afraid but I will cede decision making to the experts. As I stated elsewhere, I kinda suspect the Captain wanted to live too. I am sorry for your family's experience but am thankful everyone is ok.

Edited by wolfganghowell

Ok some funny things we have seen and heard over the last few days to lighten the mood.

The day after the storm with glass and broken furniture everywhere on the pool deck, there were 2 women putting their towels and books out on sunloungers to reserve their places for later.

2 old ladies chatting in the bar asking the barman why the captain didn't lower the lifeboats during the storm as that would have been safer.

A woman complaining to the man in the towel station about the pool being closed despite the fact that there was glass everywhere.

2 different old ladies agreeing with each other that if we hadn't have turned back we would have sunk for sure.

2 older guys complaining to a crew member about something (didn't hear what) and telling him that they were Americans and deserved better. They had the strongest east European accents I've ever heard.

So there, despite everything we went through some people went back to normal very quickly.

Nicely done and you've inspired the philosophic in others. :D

Edited by Big_G

I don't think the captain should automatically be fired (though if RCI decides that he was negligent in some way, it could happen), but at least you seem to be reporting what I think is the truth. Based on the forecasts they had of this known storm system, the captain thought he could outrun it, but it came up faster and more intense than expected, and they ended up caught in the middle of it.

I live in SC and the low was suppose to form off the coast as a weak low pressure. This thing came faster and more intense than predicted and the captain and ship had no where to go. Even with the most advance technology weather is still the hardest to predict. :)

Just thankful no one lost their life!

As I sit here on my sunlounger in the solarium with the sun now peeking through the clouds every now and again and the distant sounds of the waves gently crashing against the bow of the ship I can almost feel that I'm sat on the beach on Coco Cay where we should have been today.

The only thing that brings me back to reality is the woman walking past telling her husband in a loud disappointed New Jersey accent that her fries were cold.

I think I'm going to write a book on my general observations of people on cruise ships, a constant source of genuine amusement.

Man, I like your attitude. I'm not sure how many Cruises you've been on but I'll bet (just knowing your personality from your posts) you'll come away from this Cruise with a lot of good memories. I'm glad that you and everyone else that was on your Cruise is safe. Safe travels back home.

Edited by davekathy

Exactly. Saturday here in Ma we were just going to get a little snow, then Sunday it blew up, we had blizzard warning posted for Monday.

We have had some nasty weather. Still trying to figure out why I willingly got on the plane in Ft. Lauderdale and came back here.

This is my view on the weather and what happened.

Whether the weather be fine or whether the weather be not,

Whether the weather whatever the weather whether we like it or not.

Can we leave any further comments on the weather there please as your getting boring and giving my wife a headache which is impacting my game plan for later.

How was your cruise, OB? How was the weather?

Hi!

other than being pretty windy on the way down to the Caribbean as well as on the way back it was a great time. The wind played havoc with the Aqua Theater shows cancelling most of them. They did get two shows in and I got to see them both. That theater is the major reason I book Oasis class ships.

If you'd like to read some of my thoughts on the cruise you can find them here....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2308157

It was upgraded to hurricane force on Saturday.

Here read this and following the information from the National Weather Service. They continued to predict up to 50 mph gusts right up to Sunday at 5:50pm .. And then all they said was it was getting worse. A little too late to help Anthem.

http://www.nj.com/weather/index.ssf/2016/02/weather_expert_blasts_decision_by_nj_cruise_ship_t.html

Someone else posted about tides so I thought it was true. It was kind of rude to include the sentence I was making it up:mad:

I like this logic. Sail through a storm, end a cruise early, turn the ship around

and pick up two new cruisers for every one you lose. If you want to double your business cut your advertising budget, look for a major storm and head right for it.

Way to take what I said totally the wrong way :rolleyes:

My point is that bookings are up, not down and this is nothing that hasn't happened before. In a week, it will all be forgotten except for those onboard. I still stand by what I said.

Next time I'll try to be more clearer for you :rolleyes:

Edited by ryano

Whether the weather be fine or whether the weather be not,

Whether the weather whatever the weather whether we like it or not.

Can we leave any further comments on the weather there please as your getting boring and giving my wife a headache which is impacting my game plan for later.

I guess we can then infer you won't be rushing to disembark tonight...

I thought someone said there were broken windows in the solarium and it was freezing in there?:confused:

the indoor pool roof is stuck wide open. Only one window is stuck open in the solarium so it isn't so bad depending where you sit, some spots like along the sides are like a wind tunnel others like the front are comfortable

hahahahahahaha.....you have an awesome sense of humour my friend, love it!!!!

Andie

After reading all your recent posts i REALLy do hope you write a book….i will buy a copy at the first printing!

thanks for 2 good laughs this afternoon! you painted a perfect picture with the "disappointed new jersey accent" description…i recall sailing with her on a princess ship!

i hope our paths cross on a future cruise…

PS: its currently a very chilly 68 degrees F. here in florida, wish you were here...