Rome Cruise Terminal

arsenalboy

We are sailing Reflection on 25th April.

We are stopping in Hilton Garden Inn at airport the night before and will book a taxi to the port the following morning.

My question relates to our luggage, more particularly minimal handling!

When I have looked at taxi sites they talk of dropping you at side of ship but I assume that is on return from excursions and not on embarkation.

Elsewhere I see a picture of a shuttle bus that runs from port entrance to check in. The thought of handling quite a few pieces of luggage from taxi to shuttle bus and off again doesn't excite me.

Presumably taxis can take you to luggage drop off area? Not sure what the shuttle bus is about?

A taxi will take you to the ship, the place to drop luggage is right outside check and is a very short distance (yards)

Shuttle buses are to take people out of the port area mainly for ships that are visiting for the day or for cruisers who are arriving by train.

It is about a one hour drive from Rome to the cruise terminal. Am positive there will be several booking private cars that can pick you up at your hotel and drop you off at the ship. A taxi for one would be expensive. Also you might check out Uber. We paid $90 for two of us last year from the city to the port. 4 people is just a tiny bit more.

grandson used this company - http://www.romelimousines.com/shuttle-services/rome/

We have been to Rome many times and on our last trip discovered Civitavecchia shuttle services. I would check them out online. They picked us up from the airport and even though our flight was early they were on time. It was €70 for the two of us in a private sedan, versus about €125 for a taxi. We were extremely pleased with the service. And yes they can take you directly to the baggage drop off area

We are sailing Reflection on 25th April.

We are stopping in Hilton Garden Inn at airport the night before and will book a taxi to the port the following morning.

My question relates to our luggage, more particularly minimal handling!

When I have looked at taxi sites they talk of dropping you at side of ship but I assume that is on return from excursions and not on embarkation.

Elsewhere I see a picture of a shuttle bus that runs from port entrance to check in. The thought of handling quite a few pieces of luggage from taxi to shuttle bus and off again doesn't excite me.

Presumably taxis can take you to luggage drop off area? Not sure what the shuttle bus is about?

The distance from Rome's two airports to the Civitavecchia Cruise Terminal is significant by either taxi or shuttle (i.e. provided by cruise line).

The least expensive way to travel is by train, followed by a short taxi ride from Civitavecchia town to the cruise terminal (i.e. 5 minute ride). Unfortunately, this only works if you can haul your own luggage.

Here's some info on the Civitavecchia Cruise Terminal:

http://cruiseports.ca/italy/civitavecchia-cruise-terminal.html

Here is some info on Rome's two airports. You'll need to know which one you are arriving at.

http://romeitaly.ca/transportation/index.html

Enjoy your trip!

The distance from Rome's two airports to the Civitavecchia Cruise Terminal is significant by either taxi or shuttle (i.e. provided by cruise line).

The least expensive way to travel is by train, followed by a short taxi ride from Civitavecchia town to the cruise terminal (i.e. 5 minute ride). Unfortunately, this only works if you can haul your own luggage.

Here's some info on the Civitavecchia Cruise Terminal:

http://cruiseports.ca/italy/civitavecchia-cruise-terminal.html

Here is some info on Rome's two airports. You'll need to know which one you are arriving at.

http://romeitaly.ca/transportation/index.html

Enjoy your trip!

Does Celebrity use the out of town one that RCCL uses? Debarked there several times....NCL in town walking distance from train; RCCL the five minute taxi ride. The walk would be very hard anyway with luggage. It's been several years since we were at the intown one and I don't know if that one is still in service. That car service from the airport sounds like the best option, OP. I'm going to bookmark that myself.

Does Celebrity use the out of town one that RCCL uses? Debarked there several times....NCL in town walking distance from train; RCCL the five minute taxi ride. The walk would be very hard anyway with luggage. It's been several years since we were at the intown one and I don't know if that one is still in service. That car service from the airport sounds like the best option, OP. I'm going to bookmark that myself.

If you're talking about berthing spots, it's all the same port. But if you are embarking/disembarking, there is only one area set up to do that. If you're just there for a port day, you may be closer to the main entrance of the port. HOWEVER, a few years ago they changed the shuttle drop-off spot to a parking lot about twice the distance from the train station.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

a) taxis can be VERY hard to find at the train station; there is a bus that will then take you to the port shuttle bus; it costs E.80, but you will be loading luggage onto that bus, then off the bus onto another bus, then off THAT bus at the dock.

b) in most cases, when you arrive in Civitavecchia by train, unless you get very lucky, you will have to carry your luggage down the stairs, through the tunnel and then back up the stairs to access the street.

The point is, for many cruisers, this is simply too much luggage handling. It can be well worth the cost for a taxi or shared shuttle to drive you directly to the baggage dropoff/check in area. This is a good opportunity to join with others on your roll call to share transport.

Can I turn my original question on its head and ask a question about disembarking please.

For embarking we are going to use RomeCabs as they appear to be highly rated.

We also thought we would use them at the end. I have this vision of getting off the Reflection at whatever time and mingling with hundreds and hundreds of passengers all looking for their transfer vehicle, all hauling luggage on trollies.

My previous cruise experiences have been from Southampton where I have left my car in the port car park, that has been easy.

I have visions of chaos or I am worrying too much!

Can I turn my original question on its head and ask a question about disembarking please.

For embarking we are going to use RomeCabs as they appear to be highly rated.

We also thought we would use them at the end. I have this vision of getting off the Reflection at whatever time and mingling with hundreds and hundreds of passengers all looking for their transfer vehicle, all hauling luggage on trollies.

My previous cruise experiences have been from Southampton where I have left my car in the port car park, that has been easy.

I have visions of chaos or I am worrying too much!

There is no chaos. You simply walk off. There is usually no customs at all. The shuttle buses are straight ahead, private cars to the left and tour buses/vans to the right. There are no trolleys or carts. It is a couple hundred feet to the shuttle bus. You put you bag in the luggage bin and get on. The shuttle leaves the port and then either take a LONG walk into town, across the street to rent your car, or another shuttle bus to the train. It is under 50' from the port shuttle bus to the train bus.

There were probably 30-40 private cars at the port building. Each with a sign with a name. Again no chaos. Have never seen chaos at any disembarkation except when customs and immigration hold things up or one time what some idiot shouted "bomb" and everything shut down. With no immigration there is only a short line for the bus or no line for yuor private car.

Sorry to chime in, but maybe take less luggage. We will be on the Reflection when it arrives that day (16 nights crossing from Miami;stopping at 6 different ports) We will take one 25 inch suitcase and one small carry-on for each of us. Our general thought is if we can't handle it ourselves, then we don't take it, as you can never be sure of porters, easily available taxis, etc. ANYWAY-since you are going with RomeCabs (which we use a lot) I might suggest that, for a fun day that adds to your vacation, have them pick you up early and do some little touring on your way to the ship. Maybe a stop for a nice lunch. The hilltop town of Cheri is interesting. I also believe that April 25 is some type of national holiday in Italy. Maybe you can find others on your cruise to share the cost.

We will be using Romecabs that day from the ship into Rome. Picking us up at 8:30. Enjoy your cruise.

I also believe that April 25 is some type of national holiday in Italy. Maybe you can find others on your cruise to share the cost.

April 25th is Liberation Day in Italy and elsewhere and can lead to local protests etc., although hopefully unlikely!

It is about a one hour drive from Rome to the cruise terminal. Am positive there will be several booking private cars that can pick you up at your hotel and drop you off at the ship. A taxi for one would be expensive. Also you might check out Uber. We paid $90 for two of us last year from the city to the port. 4 people is just a tiny bit more.

grandson used this company - http://www.romelimousines.com/shuttle-services/rome/

We used them a couple of times. They were punctual. How the woman drove us to the airport safely while screaming into two cells (one on each ear), is amazing. She even threw in a few gesticulations too. :D

Stay at the San Giorgio. Great hotel, breakfast at restaurant in hotel and shuttle to pier is 5 minutes. Beautiful beach, Boardwalk across the street and hotel is lovely. We spent a nice day before cruise in Civvitevecchia. Walked around town, free museum, gelato.... Very nice.

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen the TSA at work in JFK airport and it was a mad house. It took several hours to go through with two huge serpentine lines of flyers for one security check point. My question is if the ships docks at Civitavecchia at 0500 hours and our flight is at 1030 hours is that enough time to disembark, travel to FCO Airport, go through security, and make our flight, if weather and traffic permits. Thanks in advance.

I have seen the TSA at work in JFK airport and it was a mad house. It took several hours to go through with two huge serpentine lines of flyers for one security check point. My question is if the ships docks at Civitavecchia at 0500 hours and our flight is at 1030 hours is that enough time to disembark, travel to FCO Airport, go through security, and make our flight, if weather and traffic permits. Thanks in advance.

You should be fine (assuming your ship docks by 6) but you need to do some planning. If you are flying internationally (as compared to flying within the EU) then you would want to be at FCO by 7:30 (8 at the latest). This means you want to be on your way from the port no later then 6:45! In your situation we would arrange for a private transfer (we like Romecabs) and perhaps you can find another 1 or 2 couples (post on your CC Roll Call) that would want to share a transfer that early. Some of the transfer companies might charge an extra charge for being at the port that early, but so be it. Because the biggest delays getting off most ships is caused by waiting for luggage, you would want to use your ship's Express Debarkation option which means you would be among the first off your ship....but you have to haul all of your own luggage!

Keep in mind that if you are flying directly to North America the procedures at FCO are a bit strange. You will generally need to check-in a the remote Terminal 5, and having a private transfer company means you can ask them to drop you right at that terminal. Many cruise ship transfers will drop folks at the main terminals and they must then drag their lugguage on to a free internal airport shuttle bus (to get to Terminal 5) which is a royal pain and can cause delays.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You should be fine (assuming your ship docks by 6) but you need to do some planning. If you are flying internationally (as compared to flying within the EU) then you would want to be at FCO by 7:30 (8 at the latest). This means you want to be on your way from the port no later then 6:45! In your situation we would arrange for a private transfer (we like Romecabs) and perhaps you can find another 1 or 2 couples (post on your CC Roll Call) that would want to share a transfer that early. Some of the transfer companies might charge an extra charge for being at the port that early, but so be it. Because the biggest delays getting off most ships is caused by waiting for luggage, you would want to use your ship's Express Debarkation option which means you would be among the first off your ship....but you have to haul all of your own luggage!

Keep in mind that if you are flying directly to North America the procedures at FCO are a bit strange. You will generally need to check-in a the remote Terminal 5, and having a private transfer company means you can ask them to drop you right at that terminal. Many cruise ship transfers will drop folks at the main terminals and they must then drag their lugguage on to a free internal airport shuttle bus (to get to Terminal 5) which is a royal pain and can cause delays.

Hank

Thanks Hlitner for this valuable info, we would have been so screwed.