Komodo Island shore excursion & expensive rates.

WeiMin

I had researched about getting a shore excursion to Komodo and did not find particularly useful information, writing this thread for new passengers who are planning a hop to Komodo.

When I researched excursions to Komodo before the trip, I found out that

a) the cruise liner only allows those who have booked a shore excursion to land on Komodo island due to danger issues.

b) from the national parks website, it also said that one could book a ranger and a guide for a small sum of money.

Queston is: if the ship does not allow passengers to land on Komodo, how can I going to book a local ranger when at the national park?

Answers

a) on checking with the front desk, they repeated the "official stance" but added that they cannot force anyone to leave the ship and be on the island, but neither can they stop anyone from landing. I found this moronic and provided no guidance. After I managed to book an excursion to Komodo, at a substantial saving of 40%, and was queuing for the tender, a guy just came up to the passenger controller and said that he wanted to go to the island (without prior permission) and they let him go. I had to get a printout of the booking for the excursion from another company, register it at the counter and then get their permit to board the tender for the island. I feel that HAL should be clearer in their tendering policy for Komodo instead of giving the impression that only those with shore excursion booked by them can land on the island. Upset with mis-information.

b) after booking a shore excursion to Komodo from a private company, I had to submit the papers to the front desk and then get a tag to leave at a designated time. After landing on the island, I asked the local tour operator if one could just latch on without a booking and he said, "if there is space, this is not a problem". Meaning, I did not need to book ahead, and could also land on the island without the hassle of informing the front desk. Again, mis-information.

Overall after this Komodo Island tendering procedure and the cancellation of port-of-call, I think most cruise liners are just trying to squeeze out more profits from every passenger charging exorbitant rates for their shore excursions.

Have not been to Komodo but hope to one day. This sounds similar to ploys cruise lines used for a while for stops in St Petersburg. They tried to tell you that you could not get got without a individual visa ( which is expensive) when the facts are that you can get off if you are booked on a private excursions which will have a group visa.

the tenderdock in Komodo is right in the national park where the dragons are. . So that rule is most likely by the national park management, not the cruiseline.

Hi Ine,

Don't think so, the National Park controls entry into the park ie with a guide and ranger.

Th tenderdock is decided by the ship and they were not totally upfront about the information.

Wei Min

The "tour" is pretty canned and is the only real activity on this island, besides selling tourist souvenirs at the dock area. If you do decide on the tour, pick the short one. The long one did not reveal any further dragons in their native habitat and became a fairly routine "herbal medicine" demonstration walk.

There was a dragon wandering around the area right around the dock. While on the tour, we saw a few more in an open clearing but only in the "short" part of the walk.

Quite honestly, I think they were drugged or tame/chained to be brought out for the tourists. A lot more hype than a real safari setting. In fact they almost "guarantee" you will see some dragons, And lo and behold, there they were on cue.

However, for goodness sakes do see them - they are unique and this is the island's one way of giving visitors a good experience, along with tales of lost explorers who were never seen again - like in the 1950's. For sure you would never want to explore on your own because these are real killers. But the guarded tourist experience is a lot more tame, than the hype that led up to it.

IMHO, of course. And I would not have missed it for the world. Save your money someplace else, but do plan on a shore excursion to see them.

The "tour" is pretty canned and is the only real activity on this island, besides selling tourist souvenirs at the dock area. If you do decide on the tour, pick the short one. The long one did not reveal any further dragons in their native habitat and became a fairly routine "herbal medicine" demonstration walk.

There was a dragon wandering around the area right around the dock. While on the tour, we saw a few more in an open clearing but only in the "short" part of the walk.

Quite honestly, I think they were drugged or tame/chained to be brought out for the tourists. A lot more hype than a real safari setting. In fact they almost "guarantee" you will see some dragons, And lo and behold, there they were on cue.

However, for goodness sakes do see them - they are unique and this is the island's one way of giving visitors a good experience, along with tales of lost explorers who were never seen again - like in the 1950's. For sure you would never want to explore on your own because these are real killers. But the guarded tourist experience is a lot more tame, than the hype that led up to it.

IMHO, of course. And I would not have missed it for the world. Save your money someplace else, but do plan on a shore excursion to see them.

I have to agree with everything you've said, OlsSalt. We were there three years ago and that's exactly how it was.

Ozcruizer

Hi Ine,

Don't think so, the National Park controls entry into the park ie with a guide and ranger.

Th tenderdock is decided by the ship and they were not totally upfront about the information.

Wei Min

OK, but once you get off the tenderdock you are in the park.

Thanks for that. I will take your advice to heart next month! :)

• 3 weeks later...
I have to agree with everything you've said, OlsSalt. We were there three years ago and that's exactly how it was.

Ozcruizer

Been there twice and yes they are slow but they are deadly. On the first trip we were with the ranger and one of our fellow passengers passed a tree branch and got a cut. One of the 3 guards ushered him away but not before a dragon took a wiff of the scent and followed them and had to be shooed away with sticks. It actually was kind of scary. They are killers but don't actually kill their prey. They bite them, inject them with a poison that slowly kills then once their prey is dead they come back for it. They look harmless and lazy but they really aren't. Don't wander off and listen to the guards whatever you do.

When we stopped at Komodo Island we were told that the only way to get off the ship was to attend the somewhat overpriced shore excursion. We passed on that as I knew if I wanted to see a Komodo dragon I could visit Seattle's excellent Woodland Park Zoo for about $12 and see them along with other exotic animals. So if you really want to see them and you are in Seattle for an Alaska cruise, you might consider visiting Woodland Park.

Agree with you,we had same experience. The group after us saw a dragon attack a deer,then it chased a passenger! The guides said that this was very unusual as they had been fed that morning! Well worthwhile visit.

Knittingneedles and Erawon: Tks for the info, didn't realise they actually move fast to attack people and deers. Glad we took the tour then. Did you visit Pink Beach? That was another highlight in the visit to Komodo.

You might want to consider a third party tour guide. I organized a group through our roll call when we called at Komodo. We booked with Gotokomodo tours. Had a great day. We toured the park, then took a small boat over to the pink beach. Had a nice lunch on the boat.

If I recall correctly, you are supposed to have tour arrangements with someone in order to board the tender. It does not need to be with the cruise line.

RJ2002 - did you just take the tender to the shore and then asked for a tour guide? How did you identify the Tour guide?

Yes, we were provided with a tour confirmation letter to show the ship's tender personnel, as proof we were booked on a tour. Once at the dock, our tour operator was there holding a sign.

RJ2002: So you booked the tour before reaching Komodo. I am just wondering if anyone just got on the tender, went to the park center and booked a tour to Komodo without pre-booking.

RJ2002: So you booked the tour before reaching Komodo. I am just wondering if anyone just got on the tender, went to the park center and booked a tour to Komodo without pre-booking.

Oh yes, it was arranged in advance. I don't believe you can arrange for on-the-spot tours at the dock here. As others have stated, once you arrive at the dock, you are essentially in the national park. This is not your usual port stop. The only thing at the dock area, aside from the entrance to the national park, is the little area where local residents sell trinkets and souvenirs.

You might also want to take a look at the Asia port of call forum here on CC. Search the term "komodo" and you'll find other threads on touring there.

If I remember well nobody was allowoed in the tender unless a tour was booked.

Knittingneedles and Erawon: Tks for the info, didn't realise they actually move fast to attack people and deers. Glad we took the tour then. Did you visit Pink Beach? That was another highlight in the visit to Komodo.

No we did not go to the Pink Beach, just the 2 hour HAL excursion.

It is my understanding that Komodo Tours have to be pre booked.

When will you be visiting Komodo Island?