Ketchikan food June 2016 food on board still best.

WeiMin

We were on the Westerdam for the Alaska inner passage cruise from Seattle and planned to dine on land at Ketchikan after dining through most of the menu on board.

Checked out a few bars, cafes and restaurants, but found nothing interesting by reading the menu and observing what was being served.

Had a beer, walk through the park, worked up the appetite and then headed back on board for the delicious meal on board Westerdam, where food served is delicious, hot and included in the price.

Congrats HAL Westerdam, your food is outstanding everywhere: Lido, Dining room and even the Dive in next to the pool.

We were on the Westerdam for the Alaska inner passage cruise from Seattle and planned to dine on land at Ketchikan after dining through most of the menu on board.

Checked out a few bars, cafes and restaurants, but found nothing interesting by reading the menu and observing what was being served.

Had a beer, walk through the park, worked up the appetite and then headed back on board for the delicious meal on board Westerdam, where food served is delicious, hot and included in the price.

Congrats HAL Westerdam, your food is outstanding everywhere: Lido, Dining room and even the Dive in next to the pool.

Curious as to when you were there on the Westerdam since the 2016 season has not started yet.

Also curious as to when you did Seattle to Alaska via Inside Passage since that is not the normal route from Seattle. Seattle is Ocean not Inside passage. Inside Passage is Vancouver.

Another question is what type of food were you looking for in Ketchikan? They have some really great places to eat at decent prices.

I do agree though that the food on Westerdam, as well as all the other HAL ships I've been on is outstanding.

Joanie

Also curious as to when you did Seattle to Alaska via Inside Passage since that is not the normal route from Seattle. Seattle is Ocean not Inside passage. Inside Passage is Vancouver.

Joanie

Hi Joanie,

HAL considers Seattle departures as Inside Passage, too, because they sail in the southeast Alaska Inside Passage. While technically true, like you, I consider the true Inside Passage to be on Vancouver departures.

Hi Joanie,

HAL considers Seattle departures as Inside Passage, too, because they sail in the southeast Alaska Inside Passage. While technically true, like you, I consider the true Inside Passage to be on Vancouver departures.

Alberta Quilter, I have never seen a Seattle departure advertised as Inside Passage. I agree with Joanie as being 100% correct.

Hi Joanie,

I agree that the cruise lines consider Seattle departures "Inside Passage" because of the time spent in Alaska's part of the Inside Passage. There are multiple threads on the Alaska board that explain the rationale. I'll try to find some of them today, time permitting :)

We try to eat off the ship whenever we can.

Me, too. :)

I consider trying local restaurants during our travels one of the fun things about new locations. I can have a Lido salad anytime. ;)

But halibut in Alaska/Seattle I cannot always have.

Alberta Quilter, I have never seen a Seattle departure advertised as Inside Passage. I agree with Joanie as being 100% correct.

Not so. I did a sailing with RCI that went to the west (or outside) of Vancouver Island, but was called an Inside Passage sailing because further north it does what is considered that.

While I really enjoy the food on HAL (and especially the Westerdam) finding it almost always very tasty (everyone is entitled to an off day now and then), when in port, we like to eat ashore. My favorite place in Ketchikan is the Alaska Fish House (http://www.alaskafishhouse.com/). Their smoked salmon chowder is fantastic!

One only has to look at a map to see that the Inside Passage does not end (or start) at the border of BC and Alaska.

A very good suggestion. In fact Alaska's Inside Passage runs roughly from Ketchikan to Skagway. While some people may believe the Inside Passage only refers to the area between Vancouver Island and mainland, they are dead wrong.

A very good suggestion. In fact Alaska's Inside Passage runs roughly from Ketchikan to Skagway. While some people may believe the Inside Passage only refers to the area between Vancouver Island and mainland, they are dead wrong.

You really do like calling people out.:(

So, you didn't even eat anything in Ketchikan, just looked at menus and rejected them? How can you say the food was better on board if you didn't try anything in town to compare it to? :rolleyes:

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. :)

What is so amaaaaazing about the shrimp? What do they do to make them so special?

I know crab are caught in Alaska waters but are shrimp, as well?

Sorry I missed this yesterday, have been kinda busy .... locally caught wild shrimp, cooked by someone who knows how to treat a shrimp :)

I'm not certain, but they may have been spot prawns.

Thanks.

I was curious enough about it that I googled and sure enough there are spot shrimp caught in the clean, cold waters off Alaska. I don't think we had any when we were in Alaska but if I return, it will be on my 'have to try' list. :)