Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

It was next to the art area, just around from the Cafe on Deck 5. They made some lovely cocktails there, but the position of it made it not a very inviting place to linger.

molecular20pic.jpg

I have to say that when we did the Solstice last month the Martini bar was always packed at night and the M-Bar was pretty empty. I had a few drinks at the M-Bar and enjoyed the Nitrogen drinks like the Apple one with the Cinnamon stuff.

The Martini bar just seemed more comfortable. They had a lot sit down chairs nearby in addition to the bar chairs. The menu was also larger. The M-Bar guys would periodically say we don't do that here and kick people to other places.

Sydney.

Wow.

Have walked from the Harbour Bridge to the Opera House via Circular Quay. Purchased a GF snack at the Opera House, met CC friends, bought tix for the day when we disembark on the 20th. Took ferry $12.50 return to Watsons Bay. Now waiting for cab to go to Bondi. Glorious day.

Sydney.

Wow.

Have walked from the Harbour Bridge to the Opera House via Circular Quay. Purchased a GF snack at the Opera House, met CC friends, bought tix for the day when we disembark on the 20th. Took ferry $12.50 return to Watsons Bay. Now waiting for cab to go to Bondi. Glorious day.

Hope you enjoy Ydney.

What are you going to see at the Opera House?

Sydney.

Wow.

Go to the Sydney Fish Market. It's the largest one in the Southern Hemisphere. Lots of fresh lobsters, oysters, ... To be had. It's pretty amazing. The hop on hop off bus goes right past it.

Hope you enjoy Ydney.

What are you going to see at the Opera House?

It's an Opera taster event. 90 Minutes worth.

Go to the Sydney Fish Market. It's the largest one in the Southern Hemisphere. Lots of fresh lobsters, oysters, ... To be had. It's pretty amazing. The hop on hop off bus goes right past it.

Currently at the Icebergs Club, Bondi, waiting for GF Barramundi. Following my feet really. Depending on when I get back I may pop into the Museum of Contemporary Art.

Will look in on the fish market after next cruise. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

It's an Opera taster event. 90 Minutes worth.

Currently at the Icebergs Club, Bondi, waiting for GF Barramundi. Following my feet really. Depending on when I get back I may pop into the Museum of Contemporary Art.

Will look in on the fish market after next cruise. Thanks for the heads up.

I enjoyed the Contemporary Art museum very much when I was there.

I have to say that when we did the Solstice last month the Martini bar was always packed at night and the M-Bar was pretty empty. I had a few drinks at the M-Bar and enjoyed the Nitrogen drinks like the Apple one with the Cinnamon stuff.

The Martini bar just seemed more comfortable. They had a lot sit down chairs nearby in addition to the bar chairs. The menu was also larger. The M-Bar guys would periodically say we don't do that here and kick people to other places.

I enjoyed some chocolaty thing there and hubby had something weird with leaves and foam, but those tables and being out in nearly the walkway is just strange for an upmarket priced bar. Also, yes, we saw people getting the "no can do" which seemed strange when the place was so empty so often. The bartenders were not anything like the ones we have had on most RCI ships and elsewhere on Solstice. They would not have been happy working in a quiet place I guess. No money for them in that idea.

Linda - glad to see you are having a nice day there, and yes, the priority is a nice perk when you can use it like that. We found Rose handled it well, and much better than our experiences with priority tendering muck ups on RCI recently :)

Edited by goodycruising

I enjoyed some chocolaty thing there and hubby had something weird with leaves and foam, but those tables and being out in nearly the walkway is just strange for an upmarket priced bar. Also, yes, we saw people getting the "no can do" which seemed strange when the place was so empty so often. The bartenders were not anything like the ones we have had on most RCI ships and elsewhere on Solstice. They would not have been happy working in a quiet place I guess. No money for them in that idea.

Linda - glad to see you are having a nice day there, and yes, the priority is a nice perk when you can use it like that. We found Rose handled it well, and much better than our experiences with priority tendering muck ups on RCI recently :)

Rose is an angel, so friendly and helpful.:D

Back on board. Just love Sydney..... can't wait to come back in a few weeks.

Return ferry to Watson's Bay around $12. Taxi to North Bondi $23. Bus back to Watson's Bay less than $4. In fact you can catch the bus from Circular Quay to North Bondi. I would have taken it back but having laid out for the ferry already I did that.

Impression of Bondi Beach : Beautiful bodies. Not so beautiful bodies. Downright 'what makes you think you can wear speedos?' bodies. Wonderful extremely pregnant in bikini bodies. Surfers. I'm on a beach. Me. On a beach. Hot. Sand on feet. Paddling. Need a child or three with me really. I've a picture of me on the beach. Later ok?

Lunch at the Icebergs was really good. Crowded though. When I got back to the City I found myself walking around the Nurses District.... the site of the first hospital in Australia. Fascinating neighbourhood which has been rejuvenated and has little shops tucked away in there.

Walked around the Museum of Contemporary Art. I do try with this stuff, really I do. My middle daughter says if it evokes a conversation it's art. OK. Lights flashing on and off in tupperware containers is not art ok Stevie?

Bought my little boys some finger puppets..... educational ones.... you'll see.... will grab a pic.....

Whoever told me the ride in from Athol Buoy was 30 minutes was misinformed. Was more like 10. There was no bio security at the pier. The walk round to Circular Quay from Dawes Point was about 15 / 20 minutes. Many 'Explorer of the Seas' passengers have disembarked at the Overseas Passenger Terminal. For those of you following on the next cruise the walk from the railway station is an easy 5 minutes on the flat. The next cruise for Ex departs at 1900. I want to be out on deck to see them off.

Dawn Princess is at the White Bay Cruise Terminal which is why we tendered. I've missed their sailaway.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Back on board. Just love Sydney..... can't wait to come back in a few weeks.

Return ferry to Watson's Bay around $12. Taxi to North Bondi $23. Bus back to Watson's Bay less than $4. In fact you can catch the bus from Circular Quay to North Bondi. I would have taken it back but having laid out for the ferry already I did that.

Impression of Bondi Beach : Beautiful bodies. Not so beautiful bodies. Downright 'what makes you think you can wear speedos?' bodies. Wonderful extremely pregnant in bikini bodies. Surfers. I'm on a beach. Me. On a beach. Hot. Sand on feet. Paddling. Need a child or three with me really. I've a picture of me on the beach. Later ok?

Lunch at the Icebergs was really good. Crowded though. When I got back to the City I found myself walking around the Nurses District.... the site of the first hospital in Australia. Fascinating neighbourhood which has been rejuvenated and has little shops tucked away in there.

Walked around the Museum of Contemporary Art. I do try with this stuff, really I do. My middle daughter says if it evokes a conversation it's art. OK. Lights flashing on and off in tupperware containers is not art ok Stevie?

Bought my little boys some finger puppets..... educational ones.... you'll see.... will grab a pic.....

Whoever told me the ride in from Athol Buoy was 30 minutes was misinformed. Was more like 10. There was no bio security at the pier. The walk round to Circular Quay from Dawes Point was about 15 / 20 minutes. Many 'Explorer of the Seas' passengers have disembarked at the Overseas Passenger Terminal. For those of you following on the next cruise the walk from the railway station is an easy 5 minutes on the flat. The next cruise for Ex departs at 1900. I want to be out on deck to see them off.

Dawn Princess is at the White Bay Cruise Terminal which is why we tendered. I've missed their sailaway.

When you say the Nurses area do you mean at the Roks, or further up in MacQuarie Street?

Pretty sure neither Explorer nor Solstice can dock at White Bay.

They won't fit under the Coathanger (that bridge structure).

Love your picture of this morning! What a real treat for you! :D I bet it was AMAZING to see that view from on board with what looks like a full moon too!

Was it a bit chilly? We arrived early morning mid march last year in Sydney on Solstice and it was freezing! But so worth the views.

When you say the Nurses area do you mean at the Roks, or further up in MacQuarie Street?

Erm.... I walked down the Suez Canal and came out opposite the MCA

Love your picture of this morning! What a real treat for you! :D I bet it was AMAZING to see that view from on board with what looks like a full moon too!

Was it a bit chilly? We arrived early morning mid march last year in Sydney on Solstice and it was freezing! But so worth the views.

Not chilly one little bit today. Really needed that sun cream. I think you can see the temp on the snip I took off the webcam about half an hour ago.

There are nests dotted around the area for the penguins to avail themselves of..... they don't migrate.

DSCN6632.jpg

This fella..... is blind.

He is now 12 weeks old

He was found and rescued.

They need to find a zoo to take him on......

They take him to the water to swim regularlyy otherwise his coat will lose its ability to be waterproof.

DSCN6634.jpg

DSCN6636.jpg

DSCN6637.jpg

DSCN6643.jpg

DSCN6644.jpg

I thought you might be interested with this little article that featured in the NZ Herald today about your little 'fella' you took a photo and interest in..... (I hope the link works).

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/animals-pets/news/article.cfm?c_id=500834&objectid=11594570

Like you, I too hope they find Zoo to look after him. What a cutie!

Edited by Embrace

Erm.... I walked down the Suez Canal and came out opposite the MCA

Not chilly one little bit today. Really needed that sun cream. I think you can see the temp on the snip I took off the webcam about half an hour ago.

Too late to edit the origins post. It wasn't chilly first thing. The few people out on deck some wore sweaters.... I was sleeveless.

"Coathanger"... ha ha..... we kiwis are known (or maybe in our earlier days....)...to refer to our Auckland Harbour Bridge thing as the 'Coathanger' too.... must have got that one off you Aussies :D

I thought you might be interested with this little article that featured in the NZ Herald today about your little 'fella' you took a photo and interest in..... (I hope the link works).

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/animals-pets/news/article.cfm?c_id=500834&objectid=11594570

Like you, I too hope they find Zoo to look after him. What a cutie!

Thanks for posting the link.

Blindy is adorable.

"Coathanger"... ha ha..... we kiwis are known (or maybe in our earlier days....)...to refer to our Auckland Harbour Bridge thing as the 'Coathanger' too.... must have got that one off you Aussies :D

Typical Kiwi copycats:p;):D

Thank you loving the review!! Fantastic detail and photos :)

Hoping if it's not too much trouble, I could please ask you a huge favour? In the main dining room evening menu, on the left hand side there was a beautiful Hungarian dessert wine listed every night. Would it be possible for you to please note the name for me? I would love to buy it on land!

Thank you and look forward to the rest of your trip!

We're about to sailaway...... had to leave dinner to get pics of Explorer of the Seas passing us by,,,,,

That wine you are looking for is Oremus Tokaji late harvest

Sooooo excited had to come back, upload this and share..... Those with port side verandas......lucky lucky lucky

DSCN7183.jpg

WOW!!! Simply beautiful.

Love your "bit of a blogs" Linda and have read them all - this trip is on my bucket list!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your adventures.

Barb

Typical Kiwi copycats:

I do believe our Tyne Bridge is the original coathanger bridge up here in Newcastle upon Tyne!!! ::

Have been reading along to the whole thread eager to see the progress every day. Sounds fantastic. Have done land trips to both Australia and New Zealand so the photos are great to bring it all back. So well written too. Great breakfast reading. Looking forward to my Solstice cruise to Alaska in June.