Travel Insurance

KimboJam

I made my initial reservation for Anthem's July 2016 sailing back in Aug 2015 and did not get insurance..I know, I know.... So I had to cancel that room and booked 2 different ones last month and again, no insurance....yes I know, I know....my question is......is it too late for me to get it or am I still within the window since I had to change my original booking?

I made my initial reservation for Anthem's July 2016 sailing back in Aug 2015 and did not get insurance..I know, I know.... So I had to cancel that room and booked 2 different ones last month and again, no insurance....yes I know, I know....my question is......is it too late for me to get it or am I still within the window since I had to change my original booking?

You can take cruise line insurance at final payment or you can shop for third party insurance now. Try one of the independent broker websites, such as Insure my trip, Squaremouth or Trip insurance store. (google them.)

You can always buy insurance, but after final payment, there is usually an increase in cost.

Edited by Coralc

You can still purchase insurance, but it may not cover preexisting conditions since you didn't purchase it within 2 weeks of booking. Agree with checking out third party insurance through the independent websites listed by Coralc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remembered reading somewhere about some kind of time limit for something but I couldn't find it again. Thanks so much. Will check the sites tomorrow. Is there anything specific I should be on the look out for to make sure everything is covered?

I remembered reading somewhere about some kind of time limit for something but I couldn't find it again. Thanks so much. Will check the sites tomorrow. Is there anything specific I should be on the look out for to make sure everything is covered?

Once your plans are firm, the sooner you purchase it, the better. For instance, if you try to purchase it after a named tropical storm or hurricane (has been named)....it won't be covered. Look for high dollar medical evacuation.

Just my thoughts, most travel insurance is secondary to your primary medical insurance. Cancel for any reason costs more, and isn't usually full reimbursement.

Cruise Critic has a Cruise/Travel Insurance forum if you need more information: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Yes you can purchase. I always buy through insuremytrip . Com. I like CSA or John Hancock personally... It will not however cover pre-existing conditions or cancel for any reason nor will it cover carrier financial default... Otherwise travel delay, emergency medical and baggage etc is covered... Do the compare side by side for the plans you are interested in...

You can still purchase insurance, but it may not cover preexisting conditions since you didn't purchase it within 2 weeks of booking. Agree with checking out third party insurance through the independent websites listed by Coralc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royal's doesn't cover regardless of when you purchase

Yes you can purchase. I always buy through insuremytrip . Com. I like CSA or John Hancock personally... It will not however cover pre-existing conditions or cancel for any reason nor will it cover carrier financial default... Otherwise travel delay, emergency medical and baggage etc is covered... Do the compare side by side for the plans you are interested in...

Thanks. I was looking at Insure my trip. There seem to be so many options. I emialed them for support but I didn't hear back. I am looking for insurance like you mention above. I'm worried about weather/flight delays causing a problem in travel. I'm not worried about health issues.

How do you even begin to shop for insurance on this site? It's overwhelming.

Thanks. I was looking at Insure my trip. There seem to be so many options. I emialed them for support but I didn't hear back. I am looking for insurance like you mention above. I'm worried about weather/flight delays causing a problem in travel. I'm not worried about health issues.

Health issues includes accidents, so you might want to consider that. Emergency evacuation insurance is important too.

Is there anything specific I should be on the look out for to make sure everything is covered?

Get a policy with a high evacuation limit (minimum 25k, ideally 50k) as well as a high medical limit ($500,000?).

Note that most policies require you to pay for medical expenses out of pocket and later reimburse you. If that's an issue, discuss this with the agent and ask for a direct pay policy.

If you require 'cancel for any reason' then specify that as well. Not sure if this is available when you purchase insurance more than 2 weeks after initial payment is made on the cruise.

Include your air fare along with your cruise.

After you purchase, read the entire policy for exclusions and know what's covered. There's generally at least 24 hours you have after purchasing the insurance to cancel it for a full refund. Make sure you're happy with the fine print before this window is up.

I always have purchased from insuremytrip and I agree the website is overwhelming. Call the toll free number and talk to a real person, it makes the process much less daunting.

On the insuremytrip website put in the info on cost and travelers. On the left side click on the coverages you want. I would suggest the medical evacuation, travel delay, baggage delay at minimum. Then, when all the options come up, I scan through them and click the compare box of the ones I am interested in... then just compare line by line. I usually like baggage delay to be 12 hours $250, trip delay 6 hours, medical 25k minimum. As you compare, eliminate the ones you don't like or are too expensive and narrow till you find your plan.

For what it's worth, I personally had great experience with CSA on a recent booking where mom was in hospital 2 weeks post trip and we had to delay return as well as 2 delay claims which CSA paid mo problem . I also had a medical evacuation (pilot boat evacuation on Mississippi river) that was over 25k total and John handcock handled it wonderfully.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Have you considered Royal Caribbean's policy? I have used Insuremy trip but lately have been just using RCCL's policy. On most policies any unusual item i.e. cancel for any reason or pre-existing condition, has a 7-14 day time frame from date of initial booking. RCCL's policy includes 75% cancel for any reason. For me, that's why I use them. Plus, at my age (64), they are cheaper than many other policies. In addition, I don't think you pay for it until final payment (at least I don't), so if you cancel the cruise early you don't lose the cost of insurance.

Having said that, look for the policy that most covers the "most likely reason" you might cancel. Here's my best example. In 2013 we booked a New Years cruise with my son and daughter-in-law. He is a Navy Pilot. We found a policy that would allow ALL of us to cancel if his Military Leave was cancelled for any reason. It coincided with the chemical attack by Assad on Syria. His Airwing was "on the bubble" to be sent immediately to support any action. Fortunately this did not happen, but it was close. So I was certainly glad I had that policy. Doubly glad he was able to make the cruise. So look for what you might need. But in your particular case, price in RCCL's policy also.

Edited by papaflamingo

If all your taking is cruise then the cruise line policy can be an option... however if you have airfare or additional hotel nights then you need to get 3rd party so those things are covered. When we book far in advance we opt for the cancel for any reason or cancel for work reason. Since he is long past initial deposit he might only have the option of a 3rd party.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

You can buy travel insurance up until the day the cruise begins. However, it will not cover issues related to a named storm if you buy the insurance after the storm becomes a named storm.

OK - dumb questions..........a comprehensive plan is what people usually get as it covers everything??? The price is per person and not cabin/family right?

It depends on how the question is worded. I would go with total cost since the price per person can vary, especially if you have a 3rd or 4th person in the cabin.

As to what kind of insurance one buys, that depends on what one needs. Usually I purchase a package, but not aways.

Edited by Cuizer2