Flying with a CPAP

JuliaMS

I recently started using a CPAP. I have already talked to celebrity for the extension extension cord and water for my cabin. I know I have to carry the CPAP on the plane (It has a carry case). Is there anything special I should know? Do I leave it in the case or take I out like a computer? Do I need to get a tag for it as a medical device when I check in?

Flying Virgin America LAX to FLL.

Thanks

Never had an issue when flying with mine. I put the case inside my carry-on bag along with the brochure (no one has ever asked about it) just in case. I do not take it out like you would a laptop.

My wife enjoys the quiet but now complains about the dog snoring - he can get his own CPAP, I am not sharing. :p

I carry mine in its own case. Security does not normally have me take it out. When I get to the scanner, I just tell them it is a CPAP and ask if they want me to take it out.

I also have a 12 foot extension chord that I keep in the case. The ones they give me on the ship are always too short. You never know where the outlet will be located. I have carried mine all over the world. No problem.

According to current US law, a CPAP or similar, is considered a medical device and is not counted towards any carry on luggage limits. You should carry it separately and in its normal case. TSA usually recognize the case and may, or may not, ask you to remove all, or parts, of your CPAP machine. For example, last month we flew from Houston to Fort Lauderdale and TSA in Houston just had me run the CPAP case through the x-ray machine without removing anything. When we flew back, the TSA agent ask me to open the case, and lift the main unit up slightly before placing everything on the x-ray belt (not the mask, hose, or humidifier tank).

Do not pack it in checked luggage. Some people also place all the different components in plastic bags just in case the TSA agent asks that all parts be removed.

If on a long flight were you may want to sleep, check with your airline about using your CPAP during the flight.

Celebrity will not allow you to bring your own extension cord. However, as you indicated, Celebrity will provide an extension cord and distilled water.

I have only had one airport (DCA) ask me to open my cpap bag and take the machine out similar to laptop through security otherwise it stays in the bag. I always keep a copy of my prescription for cpap use in the bag though I've never been asked for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never had any issues taking my cpap on flights to and from the U.S. I was wondering if it is any different travelling in Europe? Is it still considered as a medical device and therefore not counted as part of your carry on allowance? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have never had any issues taking my cpap on flights to and from the U.S. I was wondering if it is any different travelling in Europe? Is it still considered as a medical device and therefore not counted as part of your carry on allowance? Does anyone have any experience with this?

The rules are specifically for the US, however, other countries may have adopted US rules (or not), or may, or may not, have similar rules of their own. You can search the FAA, TSA, or the DOT, to see US rules, and the airlines for their rules (if outside the US). Below is a link to an ID tag that cpap.com sells that you can attach to your CPAP bag. If you look at each side of the tag, one side shows the rules as they are in the US. I personally made my own version of this tag (with the rules) and added my contact information in case it is lost. I had it custom made at: http://luggagetag.com/ Looks very professional.

Since CPAP inside its travel bag are protected by US law, it is important not to bury it in another piece of carry on luggage, which is not protected.

Also of importance for long flights, many CPAP machines are FAA approved for on board use (many are not). ResMed, for example, has a downloadable letter that lists all their machines that are compliant with FAA Rules for in-flight use. Also, availability of power at your seat will be a possible issue to consider.

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/medical-identification-luggage-tag-cpap-equipment.html

Taken mine to Europe twice - no problems. Just put the carrying case on the TSA belt and no one has ever said anything.

Celebrity will not allow you to bring your own extension cord. However, as you indicated, Celebrity will provide an extension cord and distilled water.

I've taken an extension cord for my CPAP machine on 2 Celebrity cruises - no one said anything or took it away. It was in my CPAP bag that went through their security scanner.

I've taken an extension cord for my CPAP machine on 2 Celebrity cruises - no one said anything or took it away. It was in my CPAP bag that went through their security scanner.

Based on your signature, you have not been on Celebrity for awhile. Current Celebrity rules specifically prohibit extension cords. Below is a copy and paste of the current restricted items. Folks on the Celebrity board have reported extension cords being confiscated. However, Princess does allow extension cords at least as of December.

"For the safety of our guests and crew, there are certain items that are not allowed on board. If these are found, they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned. Prohibited items are at the discretion of the Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain and include, but are not limited to:

• Firearms and ammunition, including realistic replicas

• Sharp objects, including knives and scissors*

• Illegal drugs and substances

• Candles and incense

• Coffee makers, clothes irons, and hot plates

• Electrical extension cords

• Baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, bows, and arrows

• Skateboards and surfboards

• Martial-arts gear

• Self-defense, including handcuffs, pepper spray, and night sticks

• Flammable liquids, including lighter fluid

• Explosives, including fireworks

• Ham radios

• Dangerous chemicals, including bleach and paint

• Alcoholic beverages**

If you have a question about an item you wish to take on board your cruise, please contact our reservations team."

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan-and-book/before-you-go-during-cruise?tab=before_you_go_during_cruise#before_you_go_getting_ready/plan-and-book/before-you-go-getting-ready%3Fsubtab=true

when I fly with mine they usually open the case and most times take stuff out and put back in. I always take one of those miniature 10oz bottles of distilled water they always say I cant have that but I remind them TSA said it is ok since if for medical device they always take it out test it and put back in. they come in a 12 pack at the grocery store

Based on your signature, you have not been on Celebrity for awhile. Current Celebrity rules specifically prohibit extension cords. Below is a copy and paste of the current restricted items. Folks on the Celebrity board have reported extension cords being confiscated. However, Princess does allow extension cords at least as of December.

"For the safety of our guests and crew, there are certain items that are not allowed on board. If these are found, they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned. Prohibited items are at the discretion of the Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain and include, but are not limited to:

• Firearms and ammunition, including realistic replicas

• Sharp objects, including knives and scissors*

• Illegal drugs and substances

• Candles and incense

• Coffee makers, clothes irons, and hot plates

• Electrical extension cords

• Baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, bows, and arrows

• Skateboards and surfboards

• Martial-arts gear

• Self-defense, including handcuffs, pepper spray, and night sticks

• Flammable liquids, including lighter fluid

• Explosives, including fireworks

• Ham radios

• Dangerous chemicals, including bleach and paint

• Alcoholic beverages**

If you have a question about an item you wish to take on board your cruise, please contact our reservations team."

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan-and-book/before-you-go-during-cruise?tab=before_you_go_during_cruise#before_you_go_getting_ready/plan-and-book/before-you-go-getting-ready%3Fsubtab=true

Based on the many posts I've read on CC and the discussions I've had with passengers who use CPAP machines, there is a very slim chance that an extension cord carried with the machine will be confiscated. They may or may not check it over, but the key issue is the question of the security staff using discretion. Rather than confiscating it and issuing one of the ship's cords, which are in limited supply, common sense dictates that, as long as the cord accompanying the CPAP machine shows no sign of damage, it will be permitted. Yes, there may be exceptions, but generally it will be ok.