formal night?

Biz64

Not really. There is a "Norwegian's Night Out" and you can dress up but actually its Freestyle and you can dress up any night or no nights. It depends on what you want to do.

There are 2 restaurants that require trousers for dinner, the aft dining room and Le Bistro -- at all others you can even go to dinner in shorts. You will find people in all manner of casual so its up to you how formal you want to go.

Hello all, my family and I will be sailing the Escape on the 20th and I was wondering if NCL has any formal nights? This will be our first time on NCL so I'm not sure.

"Norwegian Night Out" is the closest they get. They have photographers out in the public areas, and sometimes you can get your picture taken with an officer. Enough people dress up so that you won't feel out of place if you care to do so, but enough don't so if you don't care the pack the formalwear you can go without it.

No formal "Formal Night" as NCL dining is freestyle. Some people dress more 'formally' to dine in the 'more formal' MDR or in le Bistro but most just dress "neat and tidy" for the MDRs and the other specialty restaurants. I always say "go as you feel most comfortable in". The buffet is far less "formal"

Just be prepared to enjoy the food, it is good!! :) And plenty of it!! :) Make sure you take clothes that expand!! :D or :mad:

Mike (A 1lb a day person!!) :(

You can, if you want, dress up any night. Most nights, there will be a lot of photographers with backdrops set up on decks 6, 7, 8. Get you picture taken, have a nice dinner, and enjoy your night out!

Note: Formal is more of a suit and tie. Over the years of Freestyle cruising, you see very few people "formally" dressed up.

NCL is the least formal of all the mainstream cruiselines.....there is no "formal" night...you never need to wear a tie or jacket. The Norwegian Night Out, is just a suggestion that if you do desire to 'dress up', they suggest that night to do so, as they will have photographers set up to take portraits.

Thank you so much for the info everyone! I guess I will be leaving the suit behind lol. We were on the Allure last January and some men were in tuxedos on formal night, so I just didn't want to be underdressed :D

NCL is the 'polar opposite' of Cunard....I was on a transatlantic on the old QE2 before she retired in 2008....on the first and last night of the voyage, "Informal" called for a business suit....on the five, yes (5!) Formal nights between them, tuxedo's were required.

I believe they have relaxed that extreme on the QM2 somewhat today....:)