Anthem of the Seas: A not-so-live Review: Feb 6, 2016

There was quite the line-up of cars forming to get into the terminal area. My shuttle only sat in the line for about 10-15 minutes but it looked much longer now!

IMG_5821.jpg

A shot of NYC from the deck - no reflections this time!

IMG_5819.jpg

IMG_5794.jpg

After North Star, it was about 12:45 and I was getting tired dragging my coat and carry-on so I headed down to my room. The hallways were still closed until 1, but I waited there. At 1:00 sharp, an overhead announcement was made and our rooms were open! And as luck would have it - my luggage was already waiting outside. And my seapass was on my door, as promised (and nobody had stolen it as I was worried could happen! Haha). I quickly unpacked and settled in.

A few words on my room - a category M inside with virtual balcony on deck 10. I was not a fan of the layout as the balcony is on a side wall and the bed on the back wall.

IMG_5825.jpg

Unfortunately, that means the layout is too strange for the virtual balcony to look realistic, and you can't see the virtual balcony from most of the bed. The virtual balcony itself is cool and has sound (optional - with remote control). Unfortunately the screen resolution is not nearly as good as I expected which again, makes it somewhat unrealistic. It also wasn't very bright in the daytime, so you don't get the "daylight" effect of a real balcony or window.

IMG_5829.jpg

Having said that though, there is tons of floor space for such a small room and I imagine that couples or families wouldn't be tripping over themselves as badly as in a "normal layout" room. Fortunately the TV swivels out to aim towards the bed too. It took me a few hours to have the guts to pull on it hard enough for it to swivel out.

The washroom was quite large too, and the shower was very nice with a glass door that opens outwards instead of the typical sliding door!

IMG_5826.jpg

Also tons of storage all over the room - a few drawers in the dresser, and then shelves and hanging space and a few drawers in the closet. There were also 2 large cabinets directly above the head of the bed. I couldn't reach them as I am quite short, but I'm sure they could come in handy for some. I was impressed with the room overall, and the new-ness was wonderful.

And relevant to some debates here on cruise critic... The beds! I was extremely worried about the so-called "Flintstone beds" pre-cruise and I had emailed special needs to request a mattress topper. Well as it turned out, the mattress topper promised was nowhere to be found BUT... I loved the beds!!!! They were very supportive and comfortable without having that horrible springing feeling that could toss you out on contact - this would become even more important later in the cruise! I was also able to sleep in the middle of the two mattresses without feeling the usual "ridge". There was a thin pad across the mattresses which added to the comfort. I also requested an extra pillow as my legs usually swell significantly on cruises, and received that the first night. Overall, I slept wonderfully on that bed! Much better than I did during the last 2 nights in my own bed!

Next stop - Two70 for lunch! It was a little bit confusing with all of the line-ups, as nobody knew which line to stand in for what. I had one of the famous roast beef sandwiches and some salad (the BLTA salad)! Delicious, as always!

IMG_4648.jpg

I ate in Two70 while admitting the view. This was one of my favorite public areas on the ship, and was so versatile in its uses as a lounge, café, theatre, and more!

IMG_5869.jpg

IMG_4679.jpg

Then it was off to my muster drill in the Royal theatre. It ran smoothly and was quite civilized. On my way, I stopped to admire "The Via" - really a beautiful area!

IMG_5831.jpg

IMG_4688%20Edited.jpg

IMG_5872.jpg

Edited by Newbcruiser1

I had plans to spend sailaway in the warmth of the solarium, in the hot tub. I went back to my room to change, swung by the indoor pool for a towel (no towel station in the solarium as far as I could see), then grabbed myself a padded lounger in the solarium. I got my own private hot tub and stayed there from the time we pulled away from the pier until well after going under the Verrazano bridge! I've never gone swimming on embarkation day because it usually cuts too close to dinner after the muster drill, but the stars aligned with the timing today and I was so glad. Loved seeing the views without freezing outside on deck as I had done one-too-many times before!

There were questions about beverage prices on here. I had a virgin Miami vice and it was $4.50 plus 18% gratuity! Not bad at all in comparison to the price of the alcoholic beverages.

IMG_5833.jpg

After sitting around trying to dry off a little bit, I went over to the iFly desk on deck 15 aft to change my reservation for day 2, as I learned that the Meet and Mingle was scheduled for 9:30am. It was difficult to get a new reservation at a time that I wanted, so I booked it for 10am Monday, the morning of Port Canaveral. I headed back to my room to shower and get ready for the evening!

Welcome Aboard show was at 7pm and 9pm. It was pretty good and always feels like a good kick-off to the cruise!

I had reservations on choice dining at The Grande tonight. On the advice of some fellow CCers, I had booked my dinners in advance with the plan of showing up and telling them I would share a table as I wanted to interact with others. Unfortunately this didn't work so well - they weren't full (at 8:15!!) so they didn't resort to group tables yet. As such, I was seated alone.

Service was excellent, with a waitress that kept calling me "my lady" but food was hit and miss! The mushroom risotto was a hit, but didn't have enough mushrooms. The eggplant Napoleon (an entree that I ordered as an appetizer) was fantastic. And the masterpiece of my meal - the lobster! They gave me 2 tails, the server took them out of the shells for me, and on my first bite... I was not a fan! Tried another bite but somehow found the lobster repulsive in both flavor and texture. The texture was just "off" (not raw or overdone but weird, like cutting into a half-cooked potato), and the flavor, whether the lobster itself or the sauce on it, was nasty. I felt horrible but the server happily took it back and I had shrimp cocktail instead (I was getting full due to the appetizers). I had the Napoleon for dessert which was just "okay". It was quite dense and heavy. All in all, dinner took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes - a far cry from the 2-hour estimate on their website. My apologies for the lack of food pictures from tonight - I felt too awkward eating alone to take photos of my food! But no worries - I got over this quickly later on in the cruise!

After dinner I went to see the intro to Two70 show at 10:30pm where they showed all of the special effects and had some live music and such. Great show and great preview of what was to come throughout the cruise.

After stopping by karaoke in the Music Hall and catching the last 2 songs, I headed back to my room.

As a side note - the captain's welcome aboard speech consisted of a notice about a storm developing off Cape Fear and the fact that he would try to out-run the storm by moving as fast as possible. He expected to be able to do that just fine. That night, the TV showed that we were moving at 23.7kts. I had no clue that a ship as large as the Anthem could even move that quickly.

Was ifly free cause I heard they were charging for it now, how long were you in PC for and did you have enough time at WDW? You said you were from Canada, where in Canada are you from?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They are charging on Quantum in Asia. Not Anthem in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for all of your kind words - it makes the 2 day hassle I had with the pictures worthwhile! :)

Quick question: how big of a zoom do you have on your camera to get that shot of Lady Liberty? Will my 20X zoom do a decent job?

My photos are from a mix of my iPhone 6 (most of the food pictures, and the panoramic shots), and a Canon SX280 which is a 3 year old point and shoot camera with a 20x zoom. So you should be able to get some good pictures with your 20x zoom as well - just make sure to rest your camera on a still surface to help stabilize it, like the ship's railing.

Was ifly free cause I heard they were charging for it now, how long were you in PC for and did you have enough time at WDW? You said you were from Canada, where in Canada are you from?

I was one of the passengers that called RCI regarding issues pre-booking iFly and was first told that there is a charge starting up. After several more phone calls, it became apparent that they told me this in error, and as stated by another poster, the fee is only on the Quantum (at this point, anyway). So there was no fee for it on my cruise.

In terms of PC, we were scheduled to be there from 12pm until 11pm. The ship's Disney tour is scheduled for approximately 9 hours total, and includes 5-6 hours in the actual park. That would have been enough for me to get a quick Disney fix as I spent 6 days there on a land vacation a few years ago. Unfortunately due to the infamous "storm", we didn't end up docking anywhere so I can't share my personal experience with PC. Having said that, 5-6 hours of park time should be enough to get on a few rides and take in a parade, but does require some advance planning and advance FastPass reservations.

And lastly, I'm from Toronto! :)

Here are some more photos from my walk around deck 15!

iFly and the flowrider were not yet running.

IMG_5802.jpg

IMG_4697%20Edited.jpg

IMG_4698%20Edited.jpg

The pools wouldn't be filled with water for much longer...

IMG_5787.jpg

IMG_5790.jpg

IMG_5822.jpg

looks like the replace the white ball on top of deck that broke during the storm,. but you can tell they are now different sizes.

Day 2: At Sea - "The Perfect Storm"...

I woke up somewhat bright and early at 8:45. Actually thanks to the rolling seas the creaking of the ship with intermittent loud banging/rumbling noises, I was up before my wake up call rang. I quickly grabbed a yogurt parfait and a mini croissant from the Promenade Café on my way to the Meet and Mingle. It was quite well-attended and they gave away plenty of prizes. I won a water bottle - actually it would have been 2 water bottles as they gave me 2 raffle tickets and both were selected, but I had them donate the second one to someone else! The cruise director, Abe Hughes, stopped by briefly to say hello as well. They also served champagne and mimosas. During the Meet and Mingle, Captain Claus made his 10am announcement, stating that the seas were somewhat rough with following seas, consisting of waves every 8 seconds, and that this weather would likely continue for much of the day. Unfortunately as per many of my M&M experiences, there wasn't much mingling so I didn't end up really meeting anyone - too bad since I was traveling solo and looked forward to making some "cruise friends".

I hoped to catch the 10:30am puzzle room since I signed up for day 7 so it wouldn't conflict with the Meet and Mingle which I thought would be at 11am today. I ended up standing in line at the Seaplex for so long that by the time I got to the front, 20 minutes had passed and I was told that while there was room in the 10:30 session, I missed the start time and therefore would be unable to take part! And the 2 ladies in front of me couldn't even get a reservation for it because it was full for the rest of the cruise - they were upset as they had been trying since the day prior and were repeatedly told to "come back later" too. I wasn't too upset as I knew I was scheduled for it on Day 7, our last sea day.

Next, someone joined the line that said they had just come from iFly and loved it - and despite the rain and wind, it was running! So off I ran across the deck to iFly (outside)... I was greeted by a crew member who was quite rude, and told me "you need a reservation". I explained that I was originally booked for 9am today but changed it yesterday at their desk to 10am on day 3, but this wasn't reflected on my TV cruise planner and I was hoping to try to go this morning on standby. Turns out the reservation was never actually changed in their system, so he jumped down my throat that 9am had come and gone. He also refused to let me wait on standby. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed! So I booked it for 12:40pm today and off I went.

I then headed to the windjammer for part 2 of my breakfast - that croissant and yogurt parfait weren't quite holding my hunger. While the layout of the windjammer looks great on the Anthem, it's functionality is not so great. I had to go all over standing in various lines to get what I wanted (an omelette, a pancake, and a piece of bacon). By the time I got everything, my food was cold and I had to walk all the way to the aft to find a table, as they were all either occupied or hadn't been cleaned yet). I also asked at the milk area for chocolate milk and was told they didn't have any (although I had just seen someone else drinking one). Oh well! Drinking orange juice instead didn't kill me... Yet! :) My apologies for the lack of breakfast picture today!

Next stop - back to the room to drop off my extra "stuff". Turns out it hadn't been made up yet. I then went to explore some of the stores in the Royal Esplanade, and went to the "solo lunch" which was to meet in the Bionic Bar. I knew I wouldn't have time to eat with my iFly reservation, but I thought I might meet some fellow solo travelers! No such luck - it wasn't hosted, and there were no apparent solos there. So I watched the robots for a bit, which are awesome and made me laugh every time they shook a drink. Of note, there is a crew member in the Bionic Bar at all times to assist with the ordering process on the iPads, and to help override the system in case of any mishaps.

IMG_5837.jpg

The esplanade was bustling with shoppers looking for a good deal!

IMG_5836.jpg

And guess who I ran into just looking for passengers to take pics with him? King Julian! He and I go WAY back to my previous cruises on the Allure and Liberty!

I then headed up to iFly for my 12:40 flight. And of course, after taking off my jewelry and running through the rain and wind, I was told it was cancelled due to the weather. The crew said that when it's raining, it's highly unpleasant because the fan blows the water up into your face, and while you're wearing a helmet and goggles, the rest of your face is exposed. I was disappointed but fully understood! Fortunately this man was MUCH nicer than the one earlier! He re-booked me for 9am the day of Nassau. He also said I could come and try to get in on Standby at any time, although they didn't anticipate reopening it today due to the increasingly poor weather conditions.

So with no iFly, I guess it was time to eat... Again! ;) I went to the Solarium Bistro and had some salad, lentil salad, and a tuna sandwich - all were very good! I also had no trouble getting a table!

IMG_5842.jpg

Actually this picture was taken prior to the storm on day 1! :) Good catch though!

thanks for letting me know.

I thought this post is that they are on the cruise right now after the storm and left today on Saturday.. I should of looked at the heading saying Feb 6 my mistake

I was checking out all the pictures to see what has been fixed after the storm

that explains that everything I was seeing looks normal like the giraffe also looked with no damage in the neck and the vases in La Via

thanks for letting me know again

Great pictures and post and review before the storm event

Edited by MAZ100

I went back down to my room to change into my swimsuit, hoping to spend some time in the solarium's pools or hot tubs. By now, the weather was getting significantly worse. The ship was creaking like crazy, and upon lying down on my bed for all of 3 minutes for a quick rest, I noticed that it felt like I'm a see-saw! Not a fan of these beds facing across the ship - I would much rather be rocked from side to side!

Check out the view from the virtual balcony... or lack thereof due to the rain and fog:

IMG_5834.jpg

So to get out of this teeter-tottering mess, I headed to the solarium for some peace and relaxation! I was armed in my swimsuit and ready to hang out in the hot tub. I realized just how bad the weather was when I got there and had a full forward view of the bow. You could hardly see the water straight down below because it was raining so hard, but what I could see were huge waves with wind carrying the water from the white caps.

IMG_5841.jpg

The rain was also pouring down the roof of the solarium in sheets.

IMG_5843.jpg

I sat for a while and watched the weather while waiting and hoping that the hot tubs would die down as they were packed. Eventually the ship got so rocky that everyone in them was getting sloshed back and forth. They were having a blast but I sat there wondering why the crew had not closed them down yet. I then had to relocate as the water was splashing out of the hot tubs right over my head. Unfortunately, I had to wait for a while to be able to move to higher ground in the solarium as the pools were overflowing and flooding the stairs.

IMG_5845.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

I went upstairs in the solarium and found a seat facing the port side of the ship. I went to the bar to get a drink (my usual - virgin Miami vice!), and while sitting and waiting for it, the captain made an announcement that these rough seas were expected for the next 6 hours while in the storm, but that they were working to ensure the safety of the guests and crew. This was at approximately 2:30pm. While they were preparing my drink, a supervisor walked by and told the bartenders to move all of the bottles of liquor from the top shelves to the bottom. The wine glasses behind the bar also began to roll away, and several of them fell while passengers tried to catch them from over the bar. With my drink in hand, I headed back to my chair with the intent of staying put due to the rough seas.

Upon sitting down, I learned that the 2:30 We Will Rock You show was cancelled about 30 minutes in due to the rocking of the ship. I then saw the crew members running by with bags of nets to close the pools. Initially, the hot tubs remained open with the laughter of those in them as they sloshed back and forth. However, 10 minutes later, the crew asked everyone to get out and those were shut down as well.

As I watched the weather and felt the ship rocking, I began to feel a little bit concerned about the weather, and wondered how I would handle the next 6 hours of this. I started to chug my drink (good thing it wasn't alcoholic) with the plan of going back to my room to change and take some extra sea-sickness medication when I finished. While I was sitting there, the ship began to rock so much that myself and the other passengers nearby were all looking at each other somewhat worried, and I was almost holding on to my chair. Several times, the ship listed to port-side giving me a pretty clear view of the massive waves building up below. The lady beside me commented "this was fun for a while but not so much anymore".

Shortly after 3:00pm, as I was finishing my drink, the captain made an announcement asking everyone to go back to their cabins immediately and stay there! In 10 cruises, that was a first for me, and was quite scary! I even said something to the lady beside me about the fact that I was worried about having to be alone in my room as I was sailing solo. She was so nice that she invited me back to her room so I wouldn't be alone. I politely declined the offer as I wanted to take my medication and change out of my swimsuit.

Unfortunately, the port-side sliding doors to the indoor pool which lead into the forward elevator lobby were closed and locked due to flooding on the deck of the indoor pool. The port-side door into the Solarium Bistro was also locked as it was closed after lunch. As such, I had to walk around the solarium to the starboard side to get into the stairwell. The ship was listing significantly to port side at this time, so much so that I had to lean on one of the pillars in the solarium to maintain my balance. In a hurry to get everyone to their cabins, 2 crew members assisted me off of the pillar and got me on my way. I had to make my way around a passenger sitting on a walker being assisted by 6 people to prevent it from rolling sideways, and what do you know - I slipped on the wet, slanted floor of the solarium and fell right on my butt - beach bag and towels in hand! What a sight! Luckily there were 2 crew members there who were making sure the sliding glass doors which were malfunctioning from the listing didn't crush anyone. They pulled me up and sent me on my way, with my sandals in my hand. Nobody was allowed to use the elevators so the stairwells were full of anxious people heading up and down to their staterooms.

Once I got to deck 10 and turned into my hallway, I noticed a young couple standing in the hallway, the girl holding the garbage can from her cabin as she was sick. I also saw another young couple running down the hall with a bottle of champagne and an ice bucket!

I eventually made it back to my room... At this point, it was shortly after 3:00pm. I noticed that everything that was on top of my dresser, including some jewelry, a pen, a bottle of water, and various papers, had fallen on the floor towards the port side of my room - presumably when the ship listed when I was in the solarium. Even sitting on the bed and changing out of my swimsuit was a challenge with the seas. As I was a little bit worried that I would have to vacate the room for whatever reason, I got dressed in pants and a long-sleeve shirt with socks, fixed my hair which was wet from the splashing hot tub, put everything I might need in my purse including my medications and cell phone, and then barricaded myself between pillows on the bed. I was watching the ship's navigation channel on the TV, and noted that the wind speed was 76kts and saw this view from the North Star camera... yikes!

IMG_5850.jpg

They had the cameras rotating between the Esplanade camera as well, but the last I saw on that one were a bunch of officers standing there, and then that camera was pulled out of the rotation.

Shortly after, there was another announcement from Captain Claus from the bridge stating that the conditions would likely last until about 9pm, and that the ship "is doing what it's designed to do". He explained that keeping the ship's aft to the storm was no longer working, and the ship was listing due to his efforts to turn the ship around to face into the storm. He also mentioned that the senior officers were surveying the ship for damage, which was primarily water-related and to sliding glass doors.

Shortly after this announcement, Abe came on to say that he was on the bridge with Captain Claus and would continue to update us, but in the interim, the in-room on-demand movies were free. Upon trying to play a movie, my television froze on the "please wait a moment" screen. I knew that this was not a priority for the crew at that time, so I tried to fix it myself to no avail and then gave up. After about 20 minutes, I realized that I needed SOMETHING to do to keep myself distracted, so I called guest services for help with it. It took about 5 phone calls to get through - I got a busy signal, a message that the extension was not in service, etc. Finally I got a nice crew member on the phone who advised me on how to fix it (simply by pushing the yellow button 5 times and then turning the TV back on, for anyone who ever encounters the same issue). I put on "Everest", and once again barricaded myself between my pillows in bed as the only way to not feel insecure due to the ship's movement was to lie floppily on the bed. I had some trouble actually watching the movie due to the noises coming from the ship, the periods of weightlessness that felt like I was on one of those swinging boat rides at an amusement park, and the following...

My suitcase sliding out from under the bed and across the room, slamming into the bathroom door (it actually made me giggle in the midst of the "what the heck was that" moment!):

IMG_5851.jpg

The extra duvet stored in a plastic case under the bag kept sliding out as well.

And then a sliding noise followed by a loud crashing shatter in the washroom - I knew immediately that it was the glasses from the shelf. I was worried about them falling but for some reason, hadn't thought to put them away anywhere! The shattered glass pieces were also sliding around the floor with the rocking, and some came out the crack under the door onto the carpet in my room.

IMG_5853.jpg

I knew my room attendant wouldn't be able to make it up to clean the glass, so I attempted to balance myself while bending down and using a towel and facecloth to push the glass aside behind the toilet. About an hour later, I called my room attendant just to give her a heads up about the glass (I realized it was probably the least of her worries) and she said "I can't get out either. Just don't get yourself all caught up in it and wear your shoes". Noted! She called me not even 5 minutes later with a completely different tone of voice - much more upbeat, saying that she was checking on everyone and asking if anything was broken.

Check out the wind speed on the TV at 6:31pm :eek::

IMG_5856.jpg

During this time, the mini bar items that were on the top shelf of the desk (as I had moved them to make room for my own bottles of pop) flew off the desk as well, making a horribly loud noise and rolling around the room. I attempted to pick up what I could find (most of the cans were now badly dented) and put them in the drawer for safe-keeping. I knew I was missing a few cans which were likely under the bed, so I wrote a note and stuck it on the minibar noting that I did not consume anything, but that some items were lost in the room during the storm.

There were frequent announcements every 30-60 minutes, mostly from Abe on the bridge as he stated that Captain Claus was understandably busy fighting to keep the bow of the ship facing into the storm. The announcements also included that the captain was in close contact with the US Coast Guard, and that all shows would be canceled and they would re-schedule everything.

At 6:40, Captain Claus announced that the mini bar items would be free as they realized people would need to eat. Off came the note I had just placed on the minibar and into the trash can it went! He also made an announcement that the storm turned out to be much more powerful than was anticipated, and that they continued to try to steer the ship into the storm but that it was causing a 30 degree tilt of the ship. He also mentioned that "it's no secret that there is water damage to the ship, but it is doing what it was designed to do and handling it well". Later on, he said that we had winds of over 150 miles per hour as measured by a buoy in the ocean!

At 9pm, my room attendant knocked on the door giving out snacks - a banana, a snickers bar, and some peanut M&Ms. Too bad I was so hungry since eating lunch at 1pm that they didn't really hit the spot. But it was a really nice gesture. Also, the 9pm announcement was that they continued to hold the ship's position to maintain everyone's safety, and would do so until approximately midnight. As such, this would affect our arrival time in Port Canaveral, but he was unsure how much as he wasn't concentrating on that - he was too busy trying to steer the ship and maintain it's position "into the storm".

The last announcement for the evening from Captain Claus came at about 10pm, when he stated that he wouldn't give any further updates unless things worsened so that everyone could try to get some rest. So no news was good news!

At 10:20pm, my cabin attendant came by once again to drop off some bottles of water (Evian -the good stuff!) for the night. I actually didn't get to the door quickly enough and as I didn't have my "Do Not Disturb" magnet up, she let herself in to give me the bottles. So there you have it - chocolate, Pringles, pop and water for dinner - between copious amounts of antinauseant medication, of course! ;) Thankfully I was not sick, just somewhat anxious.

The seas eventually calmed down, the ship turned back south at around 1:30am, and I finally was able to fall asleep around 3am after watching several more movies including The Gift and The Intern.