Anthem of the Seas: A not-so-live Review: Feb 6, 2016

Are those photos working for everyone? Is the size okay? If they're too large, I'm at a loss on how to re-size them as I'm posting from Facebook and my internet is still wonky despite 2 service technician visits.

I'm using a laptop and the photos are too wide for my 14" screen. Having to scroll back and forth. Might look fine for others.

Being on this cruise also, I'm now pissed someone was on the balcony smoking. It was a long 12 hours of no smokes for me. I wasn't terrified but damn I wanted one. He should be fined.

I hope you are joking.

One of life's most basic rules is, if in any kind of danger, especially if there's the teeniest possibility that's it's mortal danger, smoke! Or whatever you vice is . Wouldn't you hate to bobbing around the Atlantic, getting ready to inhale seawater, and your last thought is "should have had that cigarette?"

Speaking of, this is ridiculous:

http://patch.com/new-jersey/hoboken/anthem-sea-passengers-busted-smoking-pot-horror-cruise-returns-port-0

However you feel about that otherwise, it's seems kind of nervy to arrest someone like this after a storm like that. And who's the crew that turned them in?

OP thanks for post, pics are a bit big for me. I'm at 1920 X 1200

Edited by DrD

I hope you are joking.

One of life's most basic rules is, if in any kind of danger, especially if there's the teeniest possibility that's it's mortal danger, smoke! Or whatever you vice is . Wouldn't you hate to bobbing around the Atlantic, getting ready to inhale seawater, and your last thought is "should have had that cigarette?"

Speaking of, this is ridiculous:

http://patch.com/new-jersey/hoboken/anthem-sea-passengers-busted-smoking-pot-horror-cruise-returns-port-0

However you feel about that otherwise, it's seems kind of nervy to arrest someone like this after a storm like that. And who's the crew that turned them in?

OP thanks for post, pics are a bit big for me. I'm at 1920 X 1200

That is crazy! Medical pot? Doesn't it help with nausea? :D

Alright it looks like I'm going to have to put my review on hold for now because of the photo size thing! They appear fine on my cruisecritic phone app but huge on my computer.

They took 12 hours to upload to Facebook due to my internet issues, and despite 2 service visits, my internet is still on the fritz so I'm unable to upload them to a photo-hosting site right now. I will re-attempt tomorrow if I can get it up and running again!

In the meantime - any suggestions of photo hosting sites which re-size and will allow me to update the picture links?

Thanks for your patience! :)

Looking forward to the rest of your review

I quit smoking over 5 years ago and my husband quit about 3 years ago... I also didn't think about the smokers! I feel bad for them! I wonder how many took a quick hit here and there through all of it... obviously the guy in the video didnt care...

Still confused about DD but I have a few months to get it all figured out...

... In the meantime - any suggestions of photo hosting sites which re-size and will allow me to update the picture links? ...

I would resize the photos before uploading. Many programs will do this. If you have Microsoft Office on your laptop, you cn use Microsoft Picture Manager.

I can't see any photos in neither Firefox nor Explorer.

I have to resize a bunch of photos when I send them in for copyright. In fact, if you're a member of Kelbyone.com, there's a great series of videos about copyright that explains how to resize. But they're available by subscription.

In photoshop CS, you can resize by hitting Image ---> Image Size, then change the resolution to 72. It will automatically change the number of pixels too.

You can create an action to do it automatically, by hitting Window ----> Action

Click the square with the little corner turned up in the lower left to create enter your name and click record to start recording. The red circle will come on while you're recording. Hit the white square to finish recording.

To resize a bunch of pics, go to File ---> Automate ---->Batch

Use the pulldown menu to select your Action, then choose your folder and click O.K.

I suggest you search for some videos!

I always copy my photos to a new directory, and resize all the images there. That way my originals are still intact.

Being on this cruise also, I'm now pissed someone was on the balcony smoking. It was a long 12 hours of no smokes for me. I wasn't terrified but damn I wanted one. He should be fined.

I thought he was rather brazen. I'm surprised he didn't edit out the part where he smoked. Or turn off the camera.

Isn't there a $250 fine for smoking in the rooms? For $250, I would have smoked and paid the fine. Is it $250 for each time you light up?

So glad none of us smoke. We saw our Father-in-Law have to go 36 hours w/o a cigarette when he visited the hospital, and talk about stress!

Edited by knittinggirl

Okay after another 2 service guys came, a new modem, and a new wireless adaptor, I think we're back in business now! Thanks once again for your patience! :)

Here we go for round 2!

First up - My room at the Country Inn... loved the new décor, and particularly loved the power outlets and USB plugs in the headboards:

IMG_4620.jpg

Dinner at Ruby Tuesdays next-door to the hotel - salad bar and a petite filet mignon with fried shrimp:

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4624.jpg

Day 1: Depart Cape Liberty, NJ

I woke up bright and early at 8:15am to get ready, pack up, and catch the 10am shuttle. Breakfast offerings courtesy of Country Inn included a make-your-own breakfast burrito station with scrambled eggs and hot bacon bits, a make your-own-waffle station with the fixin's, bagels and toast, spreads, oatmeal, and cereal with milk. I opted for a waffle with whipped cream and a bit of strawberry compote! Not bad for self-made!

IMG_4634.jpg

The shuttle arrived right on time at 9:50, and was filled to the brim with people and luggage. We were off by 10am, and arrived in the line at the pier at 10:25. It took 10 minutes to get through the line of cars and actually get dropped off. From there, I gave my luggage to a porter who applied the RFID tag to it, and headed towards the terminal. If you're interested in using the RoyalIQ app for luggage tracking, make sure you enter the barcode from the tag stub given to you into the app on your mobile device. I didn't need to use it as my luggage arrived very quickly, but it's a great concept. Also make sure that you don't remove the tag from your luggage as the tracking works during the disembarkation process as well!

Outside the entrance to the terminal, I was greeted by a check-in agent with an iPad. After a scan of my set-sail pass and passport, and the usual medical questions, I was on my way inside within 30 seconds. Fastest check-in ever!

Security inside wasn't too bad either. Of note, I had 4 bottles of Diet Coke in my backpack and nobody blinked an eye or wanted to search it! From there, it was mass confusion! As some people still hadn't checked in, there was a section of chairs with rows for that. Then there were seats with rows crammed in the corner of the room but they were nearly inaccessible and quite packed. I ended up just standing there (it was now 10:45) until they started boarding. They boarded pinnacle and suites starting at about 11am, then diamond plus and diamond, followed by emerald and platinum (yay for being Emerald!).

I was onboard at I think 11:25. I headed straight up to deck 14/15 and it was significantly less busy! I ran back and forth looking for an iFly sign up but nobody was there. Ended up in the Seaplex to book the Puzzle Room and they were able to sign me up for iFly from there! They also had a clipboard with the sign up sheets for the puzzle room there behind the counter... They handed the clipboard to me, and it was a self sign up thing on paper (which eventually was inputted onto my TV schedule). I signed up for iFly for day 2 at 9am (hoping this would be prior to the meet and mingle), and the puzzle room, "Escape from the Future" on day 7.

They were just starting the bumper cars at noon, so on I went! It was a little cheesy because there were so few cars on such a big surface - you could drive around with nobody hitting you if you wanted to... Cheesy was still fun though! And I definitely laughed a lot! I looked forward to riding them again later on in the cruise.

Here are some pictures from deck 15:

The arcade is located just forward of the Seaplex:

IMG_5785.jpg

SeaPlex before they got the bumper cars out:

IMG_5786.jpg

I made a bee-line for a pink one!

IMG_5804.jpg

There was quite a bit of salt on the deck from the snow on the previous cruise, so the deck got a power-wash, and so did Gigi! Good thing she was wearing her wetsuit!

IMG_5801.jpg

Next up, I went over to the North Star as I'd heard it usually opens from 12-1 on embarkation day! I got there at 12:10, and they were doing a test-run. I opted to just stand there and wait so I could be on the first ride up before it got busy. I took my small backpack up with me too and that was fine! I've heard mixed reviews on North Star but I really enjoyed it! Cool perspective to see the ship from! Of note, it doesn't go much over the side in port. We did swivel slightly to the side but not beyond the ship's edge due to local laws. They have a bin of binoculars up there too! We had about 12 people in there and it was not at all crowded! It provided a neat vantage point of the NYC skyline too, but the metal structure of the "arm" blocked it until we swiveled a little bit at the top.

Some pictures from my ride:

First one on!

IMG_5805.jpg

The view from the bottom:

IMG_5806.jpg

Going up:

IMG_5807.jpg

From the top:

IMG_5813.jpg

IMG_5818.jpg

Great view of NYC, but somewhat difficult to get a reflection-free photo through the curved glass:

IMG_5809.jpg