Just heard Ovation for Nov. 18 cancelled

Royal has charted this ship. Major bummer for us of course and all who booked it. We already have the air reserved on miles so the cost of putting the miles back in the bank will be 100% recovered but man we really liked this itinerary and ship. Well we just have to figure out what to do. Perhaps we can transfer a similar ship and itinerary further out. Time to look at schedules I guess.

I agree - a lot of times price protection is offered. I'm just thinking since Ovation is doing a lot of unique itineraries meaning they aren't the same week after week (or every other week) price protection would be hard to offer. Could that be the case?

I agree - a lot of times price protection is offered. I'm just thinking since Ovation is doing a lot of unique itineraries meaning they aren't the same week after week (or every other week) price protection would be hard to offer. Could that be the case?

2012 we were booked on a unique 10 day Voyager eastern Med cruise with an overnight in Istanbul that got cancelled and they offered price protection.

OP, I would have your TA double check.

The Ovation 18th November cruise has been cancelled, but are you sure she has been chartered? Ovation arrives in Hong Kong on 29th October and sails various itineraries until 23rd November when she repositions for Singapore. All of these are bookable through the RCCL website (US and UK). I was thinking of booking one and assumed it would be through RCCL and not a charter. Does anyone know how to check if it is a charter or not?

The Ovation 18th November cruise has been cancelled, but are you sure she has been chartered? Ovation arrives in Hong Kong on 29th October and sails various itineraries until 23rd November when she repositions for Singapore. All of these are bookable through the RCCL website (US and UK). I was thinking of booking one and assumed it would be through RCCL and not a charter. Does anyone know how to check if it is a charter or not?

Well she certainly told me that it was chartered.

Just curious what si Royal's responsibility if one has to cancel the airfare and any associated fees.

Royal will usually offer to pay up to a certain amount (about $200-$300) in cancellation fees if the cruise cancellation is within appx 9 months away. If the cruise was further away than that they offer nothing.

Thanks for the heads up. When I checked earlier this week, the only cruise that showed up was the November 18th Best of Taiwan cruise. I just found the 7 night repositioning cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore and that may actually work for us.

Corinna

I'm on this cruise as well and I called RCI because the first I heard of the cancellation was in our roll call last week.

At first the rep told me it wasn't cancelled but I insisted and he went to Resolutions. It has been chartered. The rep forwarded me the email I should have received.

There is a price protection on Asian 4 cruises that they selected. if you choose to rebook any RCI cruise, you receive $200 per stateroom or $400 per suite (not just the 4 recommended). Up to $300 for International flights changes PP and $200 pp for domestic flights.

If you choose to cancel and not book on of the 4 recommended cruises, you get a full refund but no compensation.

We have until Feb 19 to decide.

I tried to copy and paste but it seems the rep pasted an image of the email into the email he sent me, so I can't copy it.

I don't get it. They sell a certain cruise and then decide to charter out the whole ship to someone else, cancelling all reservations?

Yes, because the organization that is chartering the ship is giving the cruise line more profit than they would make otherwise. Also, the chartering organization has to pay for any costs the cruise line would incur for the cancellations.

I do not get this either. I don't think whoever you spoke to know what they are talking about, because the two replacement cruises can be booked via the Royal Caribbean website. There is a November 18th 5 night Best of Taiwan cruise followed by a November 23rd repositioning cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore. They are bookable via their website.

Corinna

I do not get this either. I don't think whoever you spoke to know what they are talking about, because the two replacement cruises can be booked via the Royal Caribbean website. There is a November 18th 5 night Best of Taiwan cruise followed by a November 23rd repositioning cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore. They are bookable via their website.

Corinna

Or it's better for customer relations to say the ship has been chartered rather than the cruise cancelled. The email I was sent is an official notification from Royal Caribbean International and it definitely says Ovation has been chartered.

Or it's better for customer relations to say the ship has been chartered rather than the cruise cancelled. The email I was sent is an official notification from Royal Caribbean International and it definitely says Ovation has been chartered.

Well, I would have thought honesty would have been the best policy especially as people are going to find out the truth soon enough.

Corinna

Does anyone know who the Ovation has been chartered by in Asia? I know the Singapore to Perth /Sydney segment is chartered with CruiseCo and not bookable through RCCL. However the new Hong Kong itineraries are all showing as bookings on the website. I am looking to book one of the Hong Kong November 2016 cruises but, with international flights and other logistics to organise, I want know who I am contracting with - Royal Caribbean or someone else?

My opinion - I really don't think there is a true charter. The new HK cruise terminal offers a much better location to showcase a new cruise ship in Asia than Tianjin. The Genting Dream (Crystal cruises new venture) - similar size to Ovation and also currently under construction at Meyer Werft yard, is debuting in HK fall early November with very strong marketing. RCCL want to compete and HK is the place to do that - maybe a 3rd party involved in marketing locally, but I doubt it is a full charter of the ship.

Just my opinion. I will try and find out - I have a future cruise certificate I want to use towards this Asia trip, which clearly states it cannot be used on charters!

Edited by Chelsea1