Solo on the Anthem

Newbcruiser1

Hi everyone,

I just got back from the Anthem of the Seas - yes, the cruise through "the perfect storm"! It was my 10th cruise overall, and 4th cruise solo, with my prior ones being on the Allure of the Seas, Celebrity Summit, and NCL Epic.

I am just beginning a blog from the cruise over on the Royal Caribbean board, but wanted to share my solo experience here!

I have to admit my best solo experience so far was on the Epic because of their studio lounge and all of the other solos I met. Due to crazy cruise costs and the weak Canadian dollar, a cruise on NCL wasn't in the cards this time around! The Anthem had interior rooms at about a 60% solo supplement, and since my travel expenses would be less to fly to Newark than to Florida, I selected this cruise.

I originally booked dynamic classic dining which is rotational, and requested a large table. However, after hearing the experiences of others on CC, I switched to choice dining. I booked all of my reservations online pre-cruise for 1 person with the intent of showing up each night and asking for a large table, as some other CC posters had done with full success.

Unfortunately, that didn't work out. While I only had 4 dinners onboard due to the shortening of the cruise and the 1 night confined to our cabins, I ate every one of those on my own. This was due to the fact that the restaurants were not completely full and had many small tables, and therefore didn't resort to having shared tables. I should mention though, the tables were close enough together that you felt like you were sitting with your neighbors and could strike up a conversation (which I did on one occasion - the other 3, the people nearby were doing their own thing and speaking other languages so I didn't want to interrupt!). On the last day of the cruise, I had lunch in American Icon and was seated at a larger table - even though the demographics of the other passengers at the table were quite different from myself, I had a blast with them! If only dinners were similar!

RCI also had several solo traveller events each day. Usually a mid-morning coffee, a lunch, and an evening get-together in the bars. Unfortunately these events were not hosted and not well-attended (or not at all attended!). The few times I went, they were held in the Bionic Bar - a busy area where everyone hangs out anyway. As they were not hosted, it was impossible to tell if there was anyone else in there who was there for the solo event. The few times I went, I ended up sitting alone for approximately 20 minutes while trying to decipher everyone else's cruise group, and eventually ended up leaving after not seeing any apparent solos, and not having a host to pull everyone together.

Overall, I found that I felt a bit lonely at some times, and there was some awkwardness to get over (servers asking things like "just you?" or "where's the rest of your gang?"). Having said that, the ship has plenty going on and I was still able to keep busy.

All in all, Royal Caribbean wouldn't be my first choice for solo cruising as my experience on the Allure was similar, BUT if anyone is going on the Anthem, I would strongly recommend Dynamic Classic dining if you'd like to dine with others! And in doing so, I would go talk to someone on the first day of the cruise to ensure that the table is compatible with you.

Places to improve? Royal Caribbean has taken the first steps in providing a solo-friendly experience - they offer solo cabins and events! However, the Events should be hosted and/or solo travelers should have their own small area to meet, similar to the Studio Lounge on NCL's epic-class ships.

Hope this helps anyone planning to go on the Quantum or Anthem solo in the near future! :)

Hi.

First of all, I am glad you got back safely from the cruise last week and sorry you all went through that experience.

Thank you for sharing your experience as I have been trying to decide which solo trip to use between the Anthem and the Breakaway.

Thinking I will try my first solo one with NCL/Breakaway.

Thanks again for sharing.

Annmarie

As stated, glad you made it back safely! I'm sure it was memorable to say the least.

I am taking my first solo cruise on Anthem in a few weeks so this is all very helpful. Honestly, my first choice to do a solo cruise would have been NCL/ Breakaway due to the solos lounge, but I also didn't want to miss the opportunity to sail on Anthem/ take a cruise to nowhere.

As stated, glad you made it back safely! I'm sure it was memorable to say the least.

I am taking my first solo cruise on Anthem in a few weeks so this is all very helpful. Honestly, my first choice to do a solo cruise would have been NCL/ Breakaway due to the solos lounge, but I also didn't want to miss the opportunity to sail on Anthem/ take a cruise to nowhere.

Chels08 - I am also on the 3 day Anthem. Have you signed up for the activities? There is a solo lunch at Jamie's on Sunday ($15). You can email me at cc138east at gmail if you like.

Thank you for your insight on Anthem's dining. I'm travelling on Anthem on the 5/14 sailing and nervous about the dining situation. My last cruise on the Brilliance in January Royal sat me at a table of 8 and I was the only one who showed up. They (my assistant waiter) then informed me that I was the only person scheduled to sit at that table and moved me to a table with a Japanese family that only the wife spoke English. Thankfully I met a single father and I had dinner with them the last 3 nights of the cruise. I'm hoping for a miracle on the next cruise otherwise I will try NCL next time.

Hi everyone!

I hope I didn't scare you all with my experiences! Part of it could very well be the group on that cruise - perhaps they were not the "solo events" type. There were no solos on my roll call, and because nobody really mingled at the Meet and Mingle, I really didn't meet anyone. Of course each sailing is different so you might all have better luck (at least some of you have already connected for the 3-nighter!).

A lesson I have learned since sailing solo 4 times now - if not on NCL and heading to the studio lounge to meet people (which was highly successful on my Epic cruise)... Book classic dining and ask for a large table. Then go one step further and go to the dining room on day 1 when you embark and inquire as to your table number, and fellow guests!

My first solo cruise was on the Allure! I skipped the "checking out the table"' thing and at dinner that first night, realized I was seated at a table for 4 with a party of 3 from Europe who hardly spoke any English. Very nice people but I felt like I was eating at their private table. But it gets worse - they said they prefer buffets, so they ate in the Windjammer for the rest of the cruise! So it was just me at this table for 4 with other tables nearby looking at me in pity. Instead of doing something about it and asking for a new table, I sat there in silence hoping the waitstaff would notice and move me. But without speaking up, how were they to know that I didn't want to be alone?

Lesson learned for next time! On the Celebrity Summit, I went to the MDR as soon as I boarded, and learned that I hadn't even been assigned a table! The head waiter was fantastic and took his time looking for a good table to put me at - success! A few solos, a few couples, and a few friends at my table! It was perfect!

So my biggest piece of advice is to be proactive!!! Check out where you're sitting and inquire as to who you're sitting with on day one! And if you go to dinner and you're not happy - ask for a table change!

And in terms of the Anthem specifically - I personally wouldn't do dynamic choice if sailing alone again. I would definitely do classic so I could at least have some table mates to hang out with! :) I have a strong suspicion that things would have been very different had I done that!

For anyone going in the near future -

Please share your experiences!!! :)

In the meantime, I will send a note to RCI this week about my solo experience and what they could do better (like having a host there at the solo events to facilitate, and/or holding them in more private areas where it's not so awkward trying to weed through the people to try to decipher who's solo).

Chels08 - I am also on the 3 day Anthem. Have you signed up for the activities? There is a solo lunch at Jamie's on Sunday ($15). You can email me at cc138east at gmail if you like.

Yay! Yes I signed up for the lunch and a few other activities. Truly looking forward to them and will certainly email you! :)

Newbcruiser1- I have not cruised as a true solo yet as I have always cruised with my family in the past. but if we are not on excursions/ dinner, we do our own things (hence when I become a solo cruiser). On my last cruise on Adventure, I attempted the solo gathering, but as it was in the Schooner Bar when trivia was happening, it was very hard to decipher who was who. Other times, I don't believe anyone showed up. Having a designated host in a different area and maybe announcements would have been helpful.

Newbcruiser1,

As others have already stated, I'm happy to hear that you got through that rather epic sailing unscathed.

Thanks for posting about your solo experiences on RCI (and Anthem in particular). I am new to the solo cruising world (my first one will be next year on Regal Princess) and am still hunting around for the "right fit" for solo cruising so your insights and recommendations are particularly well received.

Glad you are back safely and thanks for the solo information on RCI. I agree that there should be a solo host at announced events to make it easier for solos to meet each other. Based on 4 solo cruises so far, I think the experience on NCL make me feel more comfortable and inclusive.

I just returned from a 14 day Breakaway cruise and even though I attended some of the CC Roll Call events, the Studio Lounge made the difference. There were about 6 of us that hung out in the lounge at different times discussing all types of worldly issues. In smaller groups we had lunch and dinner together. But also attended some of the the group dinners of about 20. Our host was hilarious and quite helpful. In the lounge I also met a few people who enjoy jazz and blues so some nights after dinner we hung out in Fat Cats.

thanks for the feedback. I am scheduled to go on the anthem of the seas in May. Hopefully I will have better luck by following your advice (as of now dynamic classic is closed and is currently wait listing).. If not I will just eat fast and get back to the fun on the ship..

Thanks once again to everyone for your kind words! I wish you all the best on your upcoming solo cruises! :)

Despite my "subpar" solo dining experiences on RCI to date, I still went ahead and booked an upcoming transatlantic cruise on the Independence of the Seas this spring! My plan is to do as I mentioned above - I asked for a large table at late seating, and will go to the dining room on the first day to check out my table and request any modifications needed! Hopefully all is well, or it could be a miserable 13 days! lol! :)

Thank you for sharing your experiences on the Anthem. I will go on my second solo cruise on her in May. My first solo cruise was on NCL Epic. I stayed in a normal stateroom, not a studio. But I met many nice fellow solo traveler here on CruiseCritics. We had dinner together the night before debarkation. So I already knew people on board. And as we were a big group, there was always someone to have dinner with.

I was not able to choose classic dining on my Anthem cruise. So I hope to meet someone to have dinner with or be seated at a mixed table.

It sounds that Royal Caribbean has to improve their care on solo cruisers. Like providing a host at the solo cruise meetings at the Bionic Bar.

Thank you for your insight on Anthem's dining. I'm travelling on Anthem on the 5/14 sailing and nervous about the dining situation.

Hi Chrissy

I'm on the same cruise as you. Looking forward to meet you at the meet & mingle.

Manuela

Thanks for sharing about your experience with us. It is greatly appreciated by those like me who are new to cruising solo though hardly new to cruising.

Welcome Back. Happy all returned safely.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your insight on Anthem's dining. I'm travelling on Anthem on the 5/14 sailing and nervous about the dining situation. My last cruise on the Brilliance in January Royal sat me at a table of 8 and I was the only one who showed up. They (my assistant waiter) then informed me that I was the only person scheduled to sit at that table and moved me to a table with a Japanese family that only the wife spoke English. Thankfully I met a single father and I had dinner with them the last 3 nights of the cruise. I'm hoping for a miracle on the next cruise otherwise I will try NCL next time.

Hi, also travelling solo on your cruise. We, the solo meet and minglers on the rol call for our cruise, do try to do at least two dinners together, one on the second night, 9 PM, in Chops and the last night in Wonderland, 7.30 PM. But we couldn't get our reservations booked on the preferred times online ('sold out'). So we do have to try it at the guest services, the day of embarkation. I sugessted 2 PM, But I discovered the desk will be closing that time for the muster drill, so I will suggest, meet at 3.30 at the guest services desk May 14.

Edited by Bril

Hi, also travelling solo on your cruise. We, the solo meet and minglers on the rol call for our cruise, do try to do at least two dinners together, one on the second night, 9 PM, in Chops and the last night in Wonderland, 7.30 PM. But we couldn't get our reservations booked on the preferred times online ('sold out'). So we do have to try it at the guest services, the day of embarkation. I sugessted 2 PM, But I discovered the desk will be closing that time for the muster drill, so I will suggest, meet at 3.30 at the guest services desk May 14.

Wonderland will be @ 815 PM the last day.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

I traveled solo on the Allure and had a traditional late dining with a table of 8. Fortunately, I became cruise partners with the wives and we attended shows while on the ship. I agree with you about having a host/hostess for onboard single/solo travelers events. I attended several scheduled events but because there was no RCCL rep I couldn't tell who was attending the event. I also mentioned this is my feedback review. Judging from your review, nothing has been done to change this. For this reason, I have booked a studio cabin on NCL Epic for my March 2017 cruise.

Yes they definitely need to do some work in the solo department on RCI! :)

My upcoming TA cruise on the Indy seems to have many solos (about 10 on our roll-call). We actually arranged to link our dinner reservations so we know we'll be seated together! Several of us solos and non-solos have also planned some excursions together! So hopefully things will work out much better than on my Anthem cruise last month! :) If not, I'll likely be back on NCL in the future!