Dunn's River Falls - worth it?

unseemlygamer

Hello again. A couple weeks ago we booked a Western Caribbean cruise on the Allure of the Seas that we're going on in July for after my high school graduation in June.

I'm currently looking into shore excursions. At this point, I'm looking into Dunn's River Falls.

Our stop in Falmouth is from 7am to 4pm on day 5 of the itinerary.

From what I've read, Dunn's River Falls is maybe an hour away from Falmouth itself, but if we do it, I'm willing to bet that it'd be worth it.

My only concern - Jamaica probably isn't the safest place out there, so I'm not too sure about this.

Also when climbing the falls...I'm not sure how that would go without slipping or falling. I'm an 18 year old male, but I'm not exactly the strongest or most careful person out there.

Have any of you felt unsafe during the Dunn's River Falls excursion, or have you found it to be a great experience?

Hello again. A couple weeks ago we booked a Western Caribbean cruise on the Allure of the Seas that we're going on in July for after my high school graduation in June.

I'm currently looking into shore excursions. At this point, I'm looking into Dunn's River Falls.

From what I've read, Dunn's River Falls is maybe an hour away from Falmouth itself, but if we do it, I'm willing to bet that it'd be worth it.

My only concern - Jamaica probably isn't the safest place out there, so I'm not too sure about this.

Also when climbing the falls...I'm not sure how that would go without slipping or falling. I'm an 18 year old male, but I'm not exactly the strongest or most careful person out there.

Have any of you felt unsafe during the Dunn's River Falls excursion, or have you found it to be a great experience?

It is definitely worth doing and you'll be fine is regards to slipping and falling as you will be holding hands and going up with a group.

Definitely ignore all the "stay on the ship" people in my opinion. Just take a tour or hire a guide.

How many people are going with you? What is your budget?

It is definitely worth doing and you'll be fine is regards to slipping and falling as you will be holding hands and going up with a group.

Definitely ignore all the "stay on the ship" people in my opinion. Just take a tour or hire a guide.

How many people are going with you? What is your budget?

Just me and my parents.

Just me and my parents.

Ok. So for $200 (or about $67 each) you could hire a private tour guide for the day who will take you wherever you want from Falmouth.

You can do Dunn River Falls and still have time for Tubing or Blue Hole, etc. and food from Scotchies or elsewhere. You will have to pay for your own food, entry fees, etc. but you literally can do what you want and when you want without being tied to other people on a tour.

I use knowjamaica.com but there are others that come well recommended on these forums.

If you just want to jump on a pre-made tour you can do that through knowjamaica.com too. A lot of people have been recommending http://www.libertytoursjamaica.com too for pre-made tour sp you can check that out too. Those seem to run around $75-80 per person and have a fixed route though.

Hi, I have to say it's so worth it!! I did the climb for my 50th birthday cruise in 2008, just make sure you have water shoes it's required.We all start by holding hands as we start climbing. Guides help if you need it. Looking forward to my next trip in August with my 15 yr. old daughter. Hope I can still make the climb, :)Margie

we have been once. we did the dunns river and green grotto caves excursion through royal. We enjoyed it, not sure if we would do it again but I'm glad we did experience it. Although I didn't see anyone have any issues climbing the falls, I can see someone who is not paying attention easily sprain an ankle.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to climb Dunns river falls? We are taking a ship sourced river tubing excursion (ncl getaway at ocho rios) then we hoped to find our own way to Dunns river and walk the falls as well as fit in some lunch somewhere. Just need to work out if we have enough time!

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to climb Dunns river falls? We are taking a ship sourced river tubing excursion (ncl getaway at ocho rios) then we hoped to find our own way to Dunns river and walk the falls as well as fit in some lunch somewhere. Just need to work out if we have enough time!

I didn't time it but I would say from start to finish including entering and leaving the park you should give yourself 1.5 hours.

Does the falls get crowded when a ship is in port? I really want to see the falls but was just wondering how packed it will be.

It is one of the major attractions in Jamaica and will always attract visitors. They handle crowds fine so don't let that deter you if you are interested in going.

• 2 weeks later...
Ill add to this. We are coming in Ochos Rios on NCL. Do you recommend sticking with ship excursion or just taking a taxi over?

I think it really depends on what you plan on doing for the day. If just want to go to Dunn River Falls you can do that via ship excursion or non-ship excursion and they will take care of all the transportation, etc. for you. If you want to do other stuff then you might consider hiring a guide.

It all depends on specifically what you want to do.

We were there back in February. There were some stairs along the route where you was able to get out. I think they have to have some for just in case. I can say that it is not easy some of those rocks were kinda high. Here is the link to our video that was done by the crew who guides you.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok. So for $200 (or about $67 each) you could hire a private tour guide for the day who will take you wherever you want from Falmouth.

You can do Dunn River Falls and still have time for Tubing or Blue Hole, etc. and food from Scotchies or elsewhere. You will have to pay for your own food, entry fees, etc. but you literally can do what you want and when you want without being tied to other people on a tour.

I use knowjamaica.com but there are others that come well recommended on these forums.

If you just want to jump on a pre-made tour you can do that through knowjamaica.com too. A lot of people have been recommending http://www.libertytoursjamaica.com too for pre-made tour sp you can check that out too. Those seem to run around $75-80 per person and have a fixed route though.

Do you have any recommendations for private tour guides?

Just a note:

There are stairs and viewing platforms alongside the falls, so one can enjoy seeing the falls (and take pictures) without having to actually climb in them. You are perfectly free to make that decision once you see what it's like: too crowded, too steep, whatever.

Just a note:

There are stairs and viewing platforms alongside the falls, so one can enjoy seeing the falls (and take pictures) without having to actually climb in them. You are perfectly free to make that decision once you see what it's like: too crowded, too steep, whatever.

Thank you for that. Good to know.

We were there two weeks ago. We had two teenage girls and they loved it! We hired Jamrock Journeys a private company. They were awesome. Our guide Marc climbed the entire way and helped us up the hard parts. This is their website. http://www.jamrockjourneys.com/

Make sure you get a pair of water shoes. Walmart has them.