Coral Sanctuary Deck question

beachnut2011

Going on the Coral this month. I've read you can book the sanctuary for the entire cruise, 1/2 day, or 1 day at a time. When booking the entire cruise, they assign you a certain lounger and you keep this lounger the entire cruise. How do they prevent others that book 1 day at a time from using your lounger?

Also, what are the latest prices of the sanctuary?

thanks,

Not sure I understand your question. They don't assign you a lounger. You select the lounger you want to use. No one else can use your lounger during the time you booked it. Once a lounger is selected, it's "made up" with towels. Attendants are on hand to make sure no one else uses it. If you've booked for a ½ day, it's kept free for you. After that, the towels are removed and it's free to be booked by someone else. If you book for the full day, same thing. If you book for the whole cruise, it's automatically set up for you before the Sanctuary opens and no one else can use it.

Price is $20/half-day/pp; $40/full day/pp. If you book for the whole cruise, it's $30/day/pp.

Edited by Pam in CA

Not sure I understand your question. They don't assign you a lounger. You select the lounger you want to use. No one else can use your lounger during the time you booked it. Once a lounger is selected, it's "made up" with towels. Attendants are on hand to make sure no one else uses it. If you've booked for a ½ day, it's kept free for you. After that, the towels are removed and it's free to be booked by someone else. If you book for the full day, same thing. If you book for the whole cruise, it's automatically set up for you before the Sanctuary opens and no one else can use it.

Price is $20/half-day/pp; $40/full day/pp. If you book for the whole cruise, it's $30/day/pp.

Thanks for your reply. I guess this has good and bad points.

(1) If you book the entire cruise you select your location. I like that.

(2) Being that your booking all day, I assume they allow you to stay longer in the afternoon.... probably until the sanctuary closes.

With the addition of other perks, plus it's $30/day, this is good.

However, should you book 1/2 day.

(1) It appears your getting one of the remaining lounger's. Or should I say, the left over location's that no one else wanted.

(2) Should you chose the 1/2 day afternoon, I assume they will still run you off after your 4 hour time limit.

Plus, your paying $20/day or $40/day instead of$30.

Am I seeing this correct?

thanks,

Correct to both points. The 'good' loungers (and cabanas) will go to the full cruise bookings.

There are 2 'shifts'. The last time they did it, the AM shift was 8:30 to 12:30 and the second was 1-5 (which is when it closed. Full day was 8:30 to 5:00

(2) Being that your booking all day, I assume they allow you to stay longer in the afternoon.... probably until the sanctuary closes.

(1) It appears your getting one of the remaining lounger's. Or should I say, the left over location's that no one else wanted.

(2) Should you chose the 1/2 day afternoon, I assume they will still run you off after your 4 hour time limit.

thanks,

Correct to both points. The 'good' loungers (and cabanas) will go to the full cruise bookings.

That depends on your definition of "good" and the desires of others who have booked.

Some people like shade, some like sun. Sometimes you can have them move "your" lounge from sun to shade or vice-versa.

Forgot to mention the afternoon tea that's served at about 3:30pm every afternoon. Delicious. And included. Great selection of finger sandwiches, pastries, crumpets and clotted cream.

The loungers are moveable and while it's true that those who book for the entire cruise tend to select the "better" locations, there are still plenty of locations available. Personally, on the Coral, I prefer a lounger under the overhang as it's protected from sun, wind and rain but others prefer to be in the sun. The attendants will move the loungers in and out of the sun.

Edited by Pam in CA

thanks,

Here is my recent experience on Coral Princess, we did a 15 day full transit Nov/Dec 2015. I originally booked 6 half-day afternoons, sea days, when I boarded. I was immediately able to choose my lounger for each day when I signed up and they didn't say any of the unclaimed loungers were for full booking guests only. I need shade so changed sides after the transit. The staff were very helpful. I was often able to show up a bit early provided my lounge wasn't booked for the morning and was able to stay until at least 5:30 which was closing time. A bit early for me was less than 30 minutes but still nice if I was ready to go. I also added 2 more afternoons during my cruise. The sanctuary was not real busy despite the warm weather, nice splash pool, and 8 sea days. Seating is on 2 levels and the pool is below the lower level. It was just me, my husband really doesn't care for the sanctuary for some reason.

Most days there were loungers available at the last minute. And a lot of the regular customers changed loungers during the afternoon to go from sun to shade. I did so on occasion. Also they would not move the loungers around much.

One other special thing for this sanctuary, after the first afternoon I asked for ice tea with my afternoon tea. On several occasions one of the serenity stewards brought mint iced tea that they made specially. It was heaven and I am now hooked.

The stewards were very nice, service was great. We saw all kinds of marine life during the sea days from the back on the pacific side.

I can't wait to do it all over again in April of 2017.

One thing to be aware of is once you book there are no refunds. Your shipboard account will be charged on the day of the reservation or on the first day if you book the entire cruise.

I hope this helps.

Edited by yoyosma

At the time there were no umbrellas that I recall. There were a good number of shaded chairs on the lower decks.

One note - if you became friends with people who had chairs in the sun or shade that you didn't, it was easy to let the stewards know the other party could use yours when not there.

Are there umbrella's available next to lounger's in the sun or do they just have the cabana's?

thanks,

Here is my recent experience on Coral Princess, we did a 15 day full transit Nov/Dec 2015. I originally booked 6 half-day afternoons, sea days, when I boarded. I was immediately able to choose my lounger for each day when I signed up and they didn't say any of the unclaimed loungers were for full booking guests only. I need shade so changed sides after the transit. The staff were very helpful. I was often able to show up a bit early provided my lounge wasn't booked for the morning and was able to stay until at least 5:30 which was closing time. A bit early for me was less than 30 minutes but still nice if I was ready to go. I also added 2 more afternoons during my cruise. The sanctuary was not real busy despite the warm weather, nice splash pool, and 8 sea days. Seating is on 2 levels and the pool is below the lower level. It was just me, my husband really doesn't care for the sanctuary for some reason.

Most days there were loungers available at the last minute. And a lot of the regular customers changed loungers during the afternoon to go from sun to shade. I did so on occasion. Also they would not move the loungers around much.

One other special thing for this sanctuary, after the first afternoon I asked for ice tea with my afternoon tea. On several occasions one of the serenity stewards brought mint iced tea that they made specially. It was heaven and I am now hooked.

The stewards were very nice, service was great. We saw all kinds of marine life during the sea days from the back on the pacific side.

I can't wait to do it all over again in April of 2017.

One thing to be aware of is once you book there are no refunds. Your shipboard account will be charged on the day of the reservation or on the first day if you book the entire cruise.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for giving us all those details! I've really been debating trying it on the Island next month. Now, I'll go to the effort of trying to grab an afternoon here & there just in case there's an open lounger! :D

Thanks for giving us all those details! I've really been debating trying it on the Island next month. Now, I'll go to the effort of trying to grab an afternoon here & there just in case there's an open lounger! :D

I agree. Thanks. The 1/2 days looks more appealing. Looking at our upcoming 10 day cruise, your only getting 9 full days on the sanctuary. The 1st day will be almost over before it begins. At least 4 additional days will be tour days. So the $600 your spending on a 10 day cruise for you and your spouse appears too expensive for us unless you planning on spending most of your time on the sanctuary.

If you are not picky about chair selection, this works. I really wanted a Cabana set so we booked the whole week, and really ended up using it more than we thought we would, pretty much every day except Canal day (which was separate for us so we didn't have to pay) - mainly because of the private pool (which only the Coral still has I think)

I agree. Thanks. The 1/2 days looks more appealing. Looking at our upcoming 10 day cruise, your only getting 9 full days on the sanctuary. The 1st day will be almost over before it begins. At least 4 additional days will be tour days. So the $600 your spending on a 10 day cruise for you and your spouse appears too expensive for us unless you planning on spending most of your time on the sanctuary.

On the Island, the Sanctuary is only one level now and there are cabins where the pool used to be.

We were on the Island pre drydock so our experience should be similar to the Coral. We did a westbound full transit. Even though there is an overhang on Lido deck which is supposed to provide shade, sailing northward for five days after the transit, all of the loungers were in at least partial sun and most were in full sun all day. We had fortunately been able to reserve one of the four cabanas (no additional charge) on the Sun deck and were able to adjust the side panels to get shade. There were always loungers available. DSIL and DBIL were on the Coral and the only loungers available for half or full day rentals were in the sun.

(1) Should you book the entire cruise, do they count and charge the 1st day, even though you probably will not have much time to use the deck?

(2) I've read that canal day is not included in this. Is this extra or an option?

(3) Concerning location's of your lounger's and no umbrella's available. I believe that we would prefer a lounger facing the railing in order to see the water. This would also give us extra privacy with no one walking in front of us. However, with no shade or umbrella, this might not be a good ideal.

Can you move these lounger's to shade if necessary?

What deck would be a good location?

thanks for any answer's.

(1) Should you book the entire cruise, do they count and charge the 1st day, even though you probably will not have much time to use the deck?

(2) I've read that canal day is not included in this. Is this extra or an option?

(3) Concerning location's of your lounger's and no umbrella's available. I believe that we would prefer a lounger facing the railing in order to see the water. This would also give us extra privacy with no one walking in front of us. However, with no shade or umbrella, this might not be a good ideal.

Can you move these lounger's to shade if necessary?

On the Grand a year ago, they insisted on charging me (and everyone else waiting to book) for embarkation day. I asked to speak to the supervisor but he wouldn't budge. It was a 15-night cruise and I'd be charged for fifteen days even though the Sanctuary was unusable embarkation and disembarkation day. I was really ticked off as I'd never come across this policy before even though I've booked the Sanctuary on many cruises. However, he allowed me to select my lounger and I'd be charged for only the half or full day I used it at the $20/40 rates. As it worked out, it would have been slightly cheaper for me to book for the entire cruise even though I would have been charged for a full day that was impossible to use.

Canal day is not included and it's almost double the usual full day rate.

No umbrella. Shifting umbrellas around would be a royal PITA plus they would probably block people's views.

The only people walking near your lounger would be those who booked loungers near you and the attendants. People tend to stay in their loungers rather than constantly get up or down. It's never been a problem. I wouldn't worry about that.

Edited by Pam in CA

Because of the glass and location of the pool, there's no real place to put a lounger to get a clear sea view.. On the upper deck you do get a nice view of the horizon.

For our 10-day trip they charged us for 8 days, but that also didn't include canal day so you paid for either embarkation or debarkation day depending on how you looked at it.

If you are not picky about chair selection, this works. I really wanted a Cabana set so we booked the whole week, and really ended up using it more than we thought we would, pretty much every day except Canal day (which was separate for us so we didn't have to pay) - mainly because of the private pool (which only the Coral still has I think)

How much is the cabana for the entire week? I am interested in doing it on our Caribbean cruise.

How much is the cabana for the entire week? I am interested in doing it on our Caribbean cruise.
No one has given you an answer. On the Island pre drydock there was no additional charge for the cabanas, just first come reservations. Can't say if that is now the case on the Coral.

Sanctuary (aft) pool on the Coral is available only to guests of the Sanctuary.

There are three additional pools for guests who do not do the Sanctuary-the Lotus pool (covered), the main pool and a very small splash pool up on the Sun Deck.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

• 5 months later...