Equinox Captain....true or not true

midwestchick

Sometimes a great captain makes a difference. We sailed twice with Captain Tasos on the Constellation and his presentation with slide show on the building of a new cruise ship was the most informative and entertaining day time onboard activity I have ever attended! His daily announcements were funny, he was present at some of the events and we felt that he contributed to the entire cruise experience as if his ambition and enthusiasm trickled down on all the staff. Really, we did another Constellation with another captain and everything was just a bit less inspired.

I have to agree.

On past cruises the Captain of the ship had no bearing on our enjoyment of a cruise (other than the expected..i.e. we made it everywhere safely!)

Our cruise that ended last week on the Constellation with Captain Tasos was the exception to the rule. He adds another dimension with his humor, enthusiasm and the crew's obvious affection for him.

We were on your sailing and had Daniella one night in Select Dining. As you said she was wonderful, but so were the other servers the other nine nights. Everything was perfect!

It really was a great cruise. I felt the staff overall was helpful, happy, and gave attention to detail. We spoke with the staff captain regarding how happy we were and he said that he feels the Equinox staff is one of the best. He also said that Celebrity is trying to get this type of service fleet wide. He said to be sure to fill out the comment cards and the survey emails to help improve things across the board.

It really was a great cruise. I felt the staff overall was helpful, happy, and gave attention to detail. We spoke with the staff captain regarding how happy we were and he said that he feels the Equinox staff is one of the best. He also said that Celebrity is trying to get this type of service fleet wide. He said to be sure to fill out the comment cards and the survey emails to help improve things across the board.

This was our fifth February Equinox cruise and I agree they have the happiest staff. We were on Eclipse last year and although the staff and service were perfect they lacked that extra happy factor. E-mail survey already completed.

We loved everything about this cruise so much we're doing it again next February.

I still don't get this Captain thing, yes he/she is the most important person on a ship, to get us from port to port safely, For me surely the most important is the Cruise Director who is head of all the entertainment who can make it such a fun cruise. I was on one cruise, could have been the Eclipse, I didn't see the Captain much, he did fun announcements once a day, but the real star was the lady Cruise Director who was simply superb & reading reviews pre & post cruise she got many plaudits. Did the Captain make a difference not really.

I still don't get this Captain thing, yes he/she is the most important person on a ship, to get us from port to port safely, For me surely the most important is the Cruise Director who is head of all the entertainment who can make it such a fun cruise. I was on one cruise, could have been the Eclipse, I didn't see the Captain much, he did fun announcements once a day, but the real star was the lady Cruise Director who was simply superb & reading reviews pre & post cruise she got many plaudits. Did the Captain make a difference not really.

And I'll bet her name was Sue Denning. She was the cruise director on our February 2015 Eclipse sailing and stands out in my mind as the very best we've ever had. Can't even remember the captain's name or even if he was Greek!

And I'll bet her name was Sue Denning. She was the cruise director on our February 2015 Eclipse sailing and stands out in my mind as the very best we've ever had. Can't even remember the captain's name or even if he was Greek!

You are right, thanks for reminding me who she was. Wonder were she is now?

Cheers.

Let's hope Alejandro is on a one-way ticket... dreadful Cruise Director. Completely out of control!

When you say out of control, do you mean he was drunk all the time ?:rolleyes:;)

My wife & I are on the Equinox in May,as I've said I don't worry about the Captain, but do regarding the Cruise Director.

Cheers.

Just shows how we are all different. My mum and I love Alejandro - sailed with him twice and he makes the cruise so special. He and the Captain on the Constellation last summer were hilarious together!

Wendy

I have to admit I was a bit leery of Alejandro at first, but eventually I decided that he was a hilarious breath of fresh air. He has a very unique, individual casual style and I think Celebrity wants to move more in that direction. No more formal nights or CD's in a tux! I also thought both of our captains on the 2-12-16 Equinox sailing were equally competent and ran a flawless operation.

Toni

Captain Leo on EQ in January, and his staff.,were very visible, friendly.and helpful.....enjoyed meeting many of them at various events or just around the ship.....such interesting people. Cap Leo even took a swimming with the dolphins excursion...hope he had fun!

Not really sure about CD Alejandro one way or another...no impact on us,,,, , not that easy to follow him as he talked fast, hard to understand....He might have been the person that was always jumping up and down to music or even no music at many onboard events, but that person seemed to be a member of his staff...really silly!

Edited by hcat

When you say out of control, do you mean he was drunk all the time ?:rolleyes:;)

My wife & I are on the Equinox in May,as I've said I don't worry about the Captain, but do regarding the Cruise Director.

Cheers.

I would have no basis to say he was drunk or under the influence of anything.

However, I found his style to be 'look at me' and all about him. There seemed to be little interest in entertaining anyone else except him and his one remaining activities staff member in the loudest voice possible. He interrupted all the shows on stage with his heckling and it all became incredibly tedious and annoying. I appreciate different people like different things, and whilst I do like a party for sure, and I'm only in my 40's, I just found it all too much and made every effort to avoid him, and the shows in the end.

Please, don't generalize. :eek: I couldn't care less who the Captain is. Nor the rest of the officers on board, for that matter, as I've never had a cruise that was spoiled or enhanced by the presence of a particular officer.

Actually I suspect you had experienced the difference but may not have been aware of it. The Captain and Senior staff do make local ship decisions that affect the differences between ships just as the top chief affects the menu preparations. It probably didn't spoil your cruise but I've run into a few people where the temperature of their soup ruined their cruise. :rolleyes:

Also staff attitudes flow down from the top. A happy crew does enhance the experience.

Can't say that we have had any of our cruises impacted negatively by the captain. Our last cruise was on the Equinox with Captain Leo and Alejandro as CD. Actually ran into the captain 4-5 times during our 10 days. He was pleasant and seemed to enjoy interacting with the passengers, found the rest of his staff followed his lead.

Alejandro is I believe an acquired taste, folks either found him "adorable" (their words, not mine) or irritating. To tell the truth, I enjoyed his sense of humor.

Can't say that we have had any of our cruises impacted negatively by the captain.

You are fortunate. One that immediately comes to mind that did negatively impact passengers (glad I didn't sail with him) was the captain of the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia, ex-Captain Francesco Schettino.

You are fortunate. One that immediately comes to mind that did negatively impact passengers (glad I didn't sail with him) was the captain of the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia, ex-Captain Francesco Schettino.

You are spot on a perfect reply & this is why as long as the Captain steers the ship well & not put it any danger, the cruise should be great.

Cheers