Weather on California coastal in March

holleygirl75

We have done several and for the most part overcast and cool. We did have sun in San Francisco but you needed a sweater. With this being El Nino year who knows. I don't think we have ever had really rough seas. Guess we have been very lucky.

I am a native San Franciscan... weather in spring is unpredictable... chilly is a good discription... can have rain as well. Then again, you could have very nice 65 degree weather down around San Barbara, but it is a gamble.

We have nearly 70 degree weather today near San Francisco ... will probably have rain in the middle of this week.

If you have the option of booking a similar cruise in the fall, i.e., September - October, weather is much nicer, what we call Indian Summer.

It is always cool on the water on the California coast, if you are looking for warmer weather, book a cruise out of San Francisco to Mexico and back, generally 10 days, then weather gets nicer when you get beyond San Diego to Mexico and back.

I did a 7 day California coast in the fall a few years back. We have done about 7 - 10 day cruises out of San Francisco to Mexico, just did one for New Years - left Dec 30 and returned Jan 9... weather very nice in Mexico.

Hope you have a great time.

We have done several and for the most part overcast and cool. We did have sun in San Francisco but you needed a sweater. With this being El Nino year who knows. I don't think we have ever had really rough seas. Guess we have been very lucky.

That's been our experience also but with this year's strong El Niño it's not as easy to forecast what the temperatures may be next month.

We're in the middle of about a 10 day stretch with temperatures close to 90° & with Santa Ana winds sometimes beach areas are warmer than the inland valleys which is a normal winter pattern. Unfortunately for the most part rain in SoCal merely waters lawns & hopefully the snow continues to accumulate in the Sierra Nevada to help with the drought conditions.

Myself and our large family will be on this cruise. Optimistically we are hoping for 60s in SF with it getting warmer in each port going south with 75s at most in Ensenada.

Out at sea it will be breezy and require a jacket if hanging out for more than few minutes.

That is best case.

Worst case may be on and off rain with a steady breeze. We plan t-shirts and shorts with the ability to layer up. There will be no need for heavy winter clothing. Sub-50 are unlikely. mid 60s is the norm getting only warmer as we head south.

So, mostly Capri's, pants and sweater weather? Sounds like I will need to pack for hot, warm, chilly and cold weather....just to be safe. Hmm, I'll need to be creative with packing. Thanks everyone. I was trying to do something different than the Caribbean and wanted to see some California cities.

We don't have the extreme humidity that the Caribbean or the more southern Mexican ports have, so our clothes aren't soaked at the end of the day.

It'll be damp in SF and CA does cool down at night.

Layers are the best way to pack.

Check the weather a few days before you leave.

We did the California coastal last March and it was wonderful!!! San Francisco was definitely chilly, but warmed up some. We did the Alcatraz tour and I was very glad I had my jacket on the boat taking us to Alcatraz! Santa Barbara was heavenly. Picture perfect blue skies and warm! San Diego ended up a little cloudy and chilly, but warmed up. It was definitely warm in Ensenada.

It was still dark when we sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge, but I was so glad I got up. I will say it was FREEZING then! I just packed "long and short" and had several jackets available. I wore my heavier one on the plane so I wouldn't have to cram it in my suitcase! I did wear capris in Santa Barbara and San Diego.

Enjoy! We loved that cruise! It was also my first trip to California :)

It won't be California hot, but it can get warm. If El Nino kicks up, there will be cold wind and rain. I have done several of these, some in March, and I found it to be somewhat chilly out on the water, but a bit warmer on land. There's no way to predict.

Bring a jacket and a pair of shorts. You'll most likely use them both.

I've taken a couple Carnival trips from Long Beach to Ensenada in Feb and March. My trips were pleasant, in the high 60s and 70s. People were in the pool and sunbathing.

I think it could also be cool and raining.

Plan for both.

Let me just say that one person's cool is much different from another person's idea of cool. We are experiencing -20C so give me 10C and I will be in shorts! I see from the long range forecast that this coming weekend in SF is supposed to be 18-22C, that my friends is summer!! Will let you know how we make out, landing on Friday!!

snow bunny

So, mostly Capri's, pants and sweater weather? Sounds like I will need to pack for hot, warm, chilly and cold weather....just to be safe. Hmm, I'll need to be creative with packing. Thanks everyone. I was trying to do something different than the Caribbean and wanted to see some California cities.

No need for hot weather clothes, maybe a t-shirt if you're very lucky. Plan on chilly to cool temperatures, and bring clothes accordingly.

Sounds like you will be set if you pack like that. I hope you enjoy our beautiful state! Make sure you go whale watching :)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

My husband and I just booked a California coastal leaving from SF March 19. We're upstate New Yorkers and have no idea what the normal weather is there at that time of the year. San Francisco to Ensenada. I'm just looking for the norm. I've never been to California.

Cool and windy.

Hot, warm, cool, cold - all subjective.

Nights are usually 50's F, days can run 60's to 70's. This year is wetter than usual, so be aware that you may get rain.

Long Beach is 70's and 80's this week. As someone posted above, the weather should get warmer the further south you go.

Your best bet is to check the weather a day or two before you leave.

It started out in the mid 60's today around 9 am and ended up in the low 90s by 3 pm. It was windy. How warm you are is dependent on more then the weather. In Costco today we had people walking around in shorts at 10am. I know from experience growing up in Vancouver that 75 there is warm weather while her in SoCal it is barely worth thinking about shorts.

No one but you can decided what temperature works for you. You just have to wait until you are ready to come here.

I always love it when people comment on the weather and how cold it is. Like my November cruise out of Vancouver last November. They (CC members) were freezing and at 11 pm at night I was sitting with the fan on in a tank top and shorts and it was still 90 degrees out.

True about perception. We had a hot spell in southern California this week, in the 80s, with those cursed Santa Ana winds. The week before was freezing rain and snow in the mountains. The weather has been so crazy, there is no telling what it will be like in month, much less from day to day. You'll have a great time on the cruise no matter what.

True about perception. We had a hot spell in southern California this week, in the 80s, with those cursed Santa Ana winds. The week before was freezing rain and snow in the mountains. The weather has been so crazy, there is no telling what it will be like in month, much less from day to day. You'll have a great time on the cruise no matter what.

And if course our Californian perception of freezing rain and snow may be completely different from our OP's, as I believe OP is from a place where they have have freezes that last months instead of a day or two like ours.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk