Cruising over the New Year period

Lees75

I am a brand newbie to the concept of cruising, but all my friends and clients have been going and now I want to. My kids are 12 and 9, so a good age.

I know cruising over New Years is going to be more expensive, but I think it will save me money overall. I am self-employed, but in my industry, have to always shut for the 10-14 days over Christmas/New Year period. So, I might as well cruise at a time I already won't be working, instead of losing income after on in the year.

I have seen a lot of posts reference that under $100 per person per day is a good price. I am looking at all the various cruises that go to the South Pacific straight after Christmas. What type of price should I keep an eye out for? It will be for a triple, if that makes any difference.

IMHO $100/person/day for an inside cabin (no window) isn't a good price, it's a bargain. Certainly, there are bargains to be had and because of our flexibility, DW & I tend to cruise at these bargain prices. :D

I would think you'd be looking at double this price (ie $200pppd) for a cruise at the peak Christmas/New Year period. :eek: The problem is supply and demand. Lots of people want to cruise then and there are only so many cabins available on so many ships. For this reason you aren't likely to pick up a last minute bargain either and I would expect prices to steadily rise until the ship is sold out. So I'd be booking ASAP.

Also, when comparing prices, just be aware that some cruise lines ask for gratuities for the staff. This is really an obligatory fee and not an optional payment for extraordinary service. It's a different way of pricing which seams quite foreign to us Aussies. I don't want to turn this into a tipping thread (there are plenty of those already on CC) but I mention it as you are new to cruising.

Hey Lees! Lynnyp here. We are going to NZ south island in the second half of January. Too late for you?

Hi! How small is forum land?!

Unfortunatley, yes, the second half of Jan is busier for me.

Have you done many cruises before? ETA - just saw your signature.

Edited by Lees75

Whoa, EB and CC collide :)

I haven't seen anything close to $100 per day for the holiday period. My next cruise is under that for an inside - or at least it has been during various sales - but that's over Easter.

I think a last minute deal would be your best bet, if you can depart from and return to your home port that'd be ideal.

Does your $100 dudget including everything - ie gratuities, drinks, excursions etc. These are extra's as you probably already know.

I am doing a cruise at the end of the year that includes both Xmas and NY.

It's a princess cruise, and incorporates both holidays so may be a bit pricier than normal. Also depends on how many are in your cabin, in your case yourself plus 2 others...ie on our cruise, an inside cabin will cost (from)...

$192pp per night - 2 people

$160pp per night - 3 people (your option)

$142pp per night - 4 people

However, because this is a princess ship, the price includes gratuities, and the onboard currency is also in $AUD for any add ons. Soft serve ice cream for the kids, or pizzas or burgers are also complimentary on this one, but may not be on others, just in case your not aware. But doesn't have as much "fun family freindly stuff" as perhaps Carnival or Royal Caribbean....

So keep in mind the nickle and dimming after the base price of each cruise your looking at....

Hope this helps...

Edited by Lanwood

I am a brand newbie to the concept of cruising, but all my friends and clients have been going and now I want to. My kids are 12 and 9, so a good age.

I know cruising over New Years is going to be more expensive, but I think it will save me money overall. I am self-employed, but in my industry, have to always shut for the 10-14 days over Christmas/New Year period. So, I might as well cruise at a time I already won't be working, instead of losing income after on in the year.

I have seen a lot of posts reference that under $100 per person per day is a good price. I am looking at all the various cruises that go to the South Pacific straight after Christmas. What type of price should I keep an eye out for? It will be for a triple, if that makes any difference.

Welcome to Cruise critic.:D

My rough guide is (per person per day)

$100 or lower for an inside;

$125 or lower for ocean view;

$150 or lower for Balcony;

If it is an event cruise (sampler, NYE, Easter, Christmas, Melb Cup), double it.

Edited by MicCanberra

If I were you I would forget about the $100 per day altogether. I doubt that you will get a Christmas or New Year cruise anywhere for that sort of money. Keep in mind that just like any holiday you can get budget cruises and then those that are a little better and so on.

I would look at what each of the cruise lines have to offer as quite frankly the itinerary will be important. (Have a look at OZ Cruising as that will cover all cruise lines) As has already been said though just keep in mind things like daily gratuity charges etc. Some are built into the fare that you will be quoted while some are not.Also there are some items on board which you will be charged for by the 'budget' cruise lines while theree are many where these same things will be all-inclusive of the price. Happy sailing - you will not be sorry. We have done a Christmas cruise (round trip out of Brisbane)and also were on a ship a year or so ago where the cruise just happened to include the Christmas and New Year period - both great occasions.:)

Thanks everyone!

If it is an event cruise (sampler, NYE, Easter, Christmas, Melb Cup), double it.

I think it was you in another thread that mentioned your rough guide of $100 that got me thinking, so thanks!

So the PnO South Pacific cruise for 9 nights at $1300pp over New Years sounds like it could be good value then?! I think I need to make up my mind quickly if I want to go at this time of year or wait until the April school holidays next year. We go camping for free over New Years and the kids don't want to break that tradition.

That sounds like a good price to me, given the time of year. Be wary of advice to book last minute, it can work and I have done it myself but it is a risky strategy for a triple, those rooms are more likely to run out. Everyone always says RC for kids but I have had great experiences with both P&O and Carnival for kids and they are cheaper and AUD.

That sounds like a good price to me, given the time of year. Be wary of advice to book last minute, it can work and I have done it myself but it is a risky strategy for a triple, those rooms are more likely to run out. Everyone always says RC for kids but I have had great experiences with both P&O and Carnival for kids and they are cheaper and AUD.

All the cruises have kids clubs but some are better for the kids (more interesting) than others. RCI has the flo-rider and rock walls and such while Carnival has slides.

Thanks everyone!

I think it was you in another thread that mentioned your rough guide of $100 that got me thinking, so thanks!

So the PnO South Pacific cruise for 9 nights at $1300pp over New Years sounds like it could be good value then?! I think I need to make up my mind quickly if I want to go at this time of year or wait until the April school holidays next year. We go camping for free over New Years and the kids don't want to break that tradition.

It may have been. That is not a bad price for a NYE cruise , they tend to sell and get dearer so if you want it grab it. The free camping is much cheaper though.

I'm all for the grandparent's carer's allowance. Never seems to happen though. Waiting for one of my grandkids to arrive now.:)

Good luck, Just remember, that sometimes the grandchild provides the present for the grandparent, you just have to follow your nose.;)

I have found for my own personal cruises, $100 per day for an inside, $120 per day for a window and $150 per day for a balcony what I consider bargains for myself.

That being said, NY cruises and Christmas cruises do tend to be the most costly of cruises as they are in the time where so many business close, plus school holidays, plus the festive season.

I would be happy paying $150-$200 per day as a sale price for this period which still works out fantastic value when you consider everything that is included.

Royal Caribbean and Carnival may be the best two options as you're traveling with a young family. Royal Caribbean may sometimes be a little more in price however they definitely are a much higher standard than Carnival when it comes to quality of ship, onboard activities, food, and inclusions.

I've previously cruised with both of these two lines so feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

Haha wow that's also my guide I work by for my sailings!

Hi Lees,

Sad that, I think it would be fun to cruise with you all.

I have the grand total of one cruise under my belt. A NYE cruise to the north island of NZ. I enjoyed it but my husband is addicted already! We cruised with Carnival and, while not refined, was perfectly enjoyable and the offspring loved kids club.

Struggling to get that for a balcony lately Mic. Ours was $200 pp pd, but lately it seems nearer $250.

But it was $200 for about 15 years.

Struggling to get that for a balcony lately Mic. Ours was $200 pp pd, but lately it seems nearer $250.

Should have added though that we are largely limited to school holidays so peak time.

It can sometimes come down to keeping an eye when the sales are out, and letting that be the deciding factor in terms of cruise line and itinerary.

Our Solstice 12 night cruise we paid $120 per night for a balcony, our Solstice 8 night cruise was $175 per night for a balcony.

For me, I like to keep an eye out for the promos and then book, as I'm not restricted to time of year to cruise.

But going in school holidays can be a bit more!

Edited by LuckiePuris

It can sometimes come down to keeping an eye when the sales are out, and letting that be the deciding factor in terms of cruise line and itinerary.

Our Solstice 12 night cruise we paid $120 per night for a balcony, our Solstice 8 night cruise was $175 per night for a balcony, and our upcoming RCI 10 night cruise is approx $150 per person for a balcony.

But going in school holidays can be a bit more!

Yeah it's those school holidays that do it.

I guess when I was paying $200 everyone else was $150.

I should ales add that we have to have a mid ships location which adds a tad, generally about $20 pp pd too.