Suggested gratuities

wesgabler

I am confused on the drink packages. When we purchased the package an additional eighteen percent was added. When i get a drink at a bar, the drink without the package includes an eighteen percent tip yet the same drink when you have the package has an additional eighteen percent added . So you seem to being paying an additional eighteen percent per drink to use the package. Sounds to me like a double tip..

Room service is not included!

On CC it seems that most people tip $1-2 for a small order, like a pot of coffee, or around $5 for a full meal according to posts I have read.

Many people tend to tip for room service, but that doesn't mean it is not included. Many also add tips at specialty restaurants, where the tip is included in the cover charge.

The only thing their website specifies is that $7.75 of your daily gratuities per person go to "Dining & Culinary Services" (nothing about that being exclusive or room service) and that there is a $3.95 service charge added to late-night orders. I'm not discouraging anyone from tipping for room service, but I'm not sure it's wrong to say that it's included.

I am confused on the drink packages. When we purchased the package an additional eighteen percent was added. When i get a drink at a bar, the drink without the package includes an eighteen percent tip yet the same drink when you have the package has an additional eighteen percent added . So you seem to being paying an additional eighteen percent per drink to use the package. Sounds to me like a double tip..

There should not be any additional 18% added per drink with a package. You only pay 18% on the package price itself, and nothing per drink, unless you want to add an extra tip, yourself.

I have to agree with what others have said. I have read on here where people would 'bribe' their attendants the first day and they receive excellent service. But my question has always been what makes them so sure they wouldn't have received excellent service if they hadn't bribed them....

You have to do what you think is best for you.

I agree with you 100%.Also love those little black dresses.Have a great next cruise.

Edited by caribbean sailor

. When we are going into a port I ask the steward if there is anything I can pick up for them. You never know what they might need or have run out of. I do tip on the last day.

I always do this too. None of our our cabin stewards have ever had a request :( once on Disney the crew in the nursery could have really used cold meds. I wished I had some to give them. It wasn't a port intensive cruise.

I too think it is insulting to tip upfront. Our cabin stewards alway give excellent service and really appear as if they want to do their best for us. We are not demanding cruisers but anything we do request is never a problem. (we do tip for room service)

...once on Disney the crew in the nursery could have really used cold meds. I wished I had some to give them. It wasn't a port intensive cruise.

I'm quite sure they had some sort of medication available in the staff store - it's not like they couldn't get it. Perhaps they just didn't want to pay for it. ;):p

On a couple of cruises the room attendant helped us bring our luggage in the room and we tipped him extra for that. One one of our cruises the attendant actually put the bags in the room before we got there. I think that's beyond the call of duty. Most of the time we just keep checking outside the door and then I drag them in myself as they show up.

I think it's nice to tip for extra service. There's nothing degrading or "bribing" about doing that.

But, lots of people tip for lots of things that I don't so it's really up to the individual. I've never seen anyone on a ship turn down a couple of bucks when offered.

Tom

I don't get the "insult" side of a tip early in the cruise. I've done both. I've never seen an "insulted" look on the face of a Cabin Steward when I give him a little extra on day one. I usually combine it with a request like "ice twice a day." I am asking for a bit extra, and I'm not afraid to show my appreciation. Do I get better service? I doubt it. But as much as a few people see this as an "insult," they tend (I know, I'm generalizing) to be the same people who say something like "I see how they do and if they do more then I give them extra, otherwise I don't." Well, I suppose it could be seen as "insulting" that you are "testing" the crew to see if they're "worth it." So... I guess we all see it differently. I will continue to "insult" them at the beginning, and I will continue to get exceptional service. Amazing what a little "insult" will do.

But really, tipping is a matter of personal preference. I know someone who removes all tips because he feels like he's already paid enough for the cruise. Personally, I find him obnoxiously cheap. But it's his right. So be it. Tip as you see fit. If you think the service was just average, stick to the standard tip. If you think it was above average, add as you feel comfortable. And if you have a couple of special requests on day one, and feel like you'd like to reward... I'm sorry... "insult" the poor guy, I say go for it.

An article posted on Cruise Critic recently stated that $20 up front is the normal pre-tip....

We give a tip anytime we ask for something out of the ordinary..... ie: Ice bucket filled everyday, wine glasses in our room, lounge chair on our balcony, different blankets on our bed, extra hangers, laundry, robes....that kind of stuff.

Only once was our steward just so-so... She did not get anything extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hello CC community,

I'll be sailing RC in a few weeks and wondering what your thoughts are to a suggested gratuity to our cabin steward to ensure superior treatment? I prepaid my gratuities but thought an extra cash gratuity (half on embarkation) would create a better experience. Any thoughts?

What exactly is a better experience? Tips are for after you receive service, and not a bribe. How would you ever know if you got better service if you bribe them up front? I would bet that my service next door would be exactly the same as yours without the bribe.

Yeah I think it breaks down to like $3 a day is what the cabin steward gets from the standard gratuity. They bust their *ss IMO and deserve more than that just for the normal duties, and especially if they go above and beyond. I like leaving notes with any special requests and always leave 10$ with it several times throughout the cruise. One time the guy was clearly not up to par so he did not get much extra but still got a tip at the end from us.

An article posted on Cruise Critic recently stated that $20 up front is the normal pre-tip....

We give a tip anytime we ask for something out of the ordinary..... ie: Ice bucket filled everyday, wine glasses in our room, lounge chair on our balcony, different blankets on our bed, extra hangers, laundry, robes....that kind of stuff.

Only once was our steward just so-so... She did not get anything extra.

I don't think the things you listed are out of the ordinary - ice bucket, extra hangers, etc. are part of the steward's duties.

I do not tip ahead of time, never felt a need to, and have always had good service. I do tip extra at the end of the cruise if I feel the service has been super good. To me something "out of the ordinary" would be when I asked for a needle and thread and the room steward took the shirt and sewed a button on!