TSA Precheck Surprise

Ashland

TSA precheck

It works only in the US ...... OTOH, last times in there were kiosks at the airports we flew into for filling out immigration forms and things went quickly.

Correct, Precheck only works in the US because it is a TSA program, and TSA is a US government security program. When you go through security in England or France or wherever you are not going through TSA security; you're going through their government's security program.

As for GE on the return, the immigration kiosks that now exist at some airports do speed up the immigration portion of the process, but you usually still have a line to clear customs. YMMV

Correct, Precheck only works in the US because it is a TSA program, and TSA is a US government security program. When you go through security in England or France or wherever you are not going through TSA security; you're going through their government's security program.

As for GE on the return, the immigration kiosks that now exist at some airports do speed up the immigration portion of the process, but you usually still have a line to clear customs. YMMV

The GE on return also does your customs clearance - you are given a piece of paper and you just hand it over to an agent as you go to baggage claim. Now, if you get the "X" on your paper, you have to join the herd and wait for the agent…

There are a few international airports where GE members can also do a quick screening and get access to that airport's Trusted Traveler system: Schipol and it's Privium program was the first.

The GE on return also does your customs clearance - you are given a piece of paper and you just hand it over to an agent as you go to baggage claim. Now, if you get the "X" on your paper, you have to join the herd and wait for the agent…

Not exactly. I have GE (and so does my wife). When we came back from Italy last Sunday, I got the "X" and she didn't. All I had to do was go back to passport control (at the front of the line, even before crewmembers) and it took 10 seconds. I LOVE GE!

There are a few international airports where GE members can also do a quick screening and get access to that airport's Trusted Traveler system: Schipol and it's Privium program was the first.

That's good to know, thanks! I noticed coming through CDG that Paris now has a similar program. And, as you may know, some airports overseas allow you to pre-clear US Immigration while still abroad (Dublin and Shannon airports come to mind). Vive la vélocité!

That's good to know, thanks! I noticed coming through CDG that Paris now has a similar program. And, as you may know, some airports overseas allow you to pre-clear US Immigration while still abroad (Dublin and Shannon airports come to mind). Vive la vélocité!

Note that you must enroll in the program to participate - you can just walk up to those kiosks. I've heard that you can do same-day enrollment in the Dutch program. I haven't heard about the CDG program; when did it start?. As always, one must do their own due diligence to be sure they have the necessary information!

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

DH and I went in to our nearby TSA pre-check office (Oxnard Ca) on Jan 13th to apply. Easy right ?

DH received his letter and KTN # dated Jan 18th.....Certainly mine would be arriving soon...after all it was always me getting the random TSA pre-check when flying many times....not him.

After a week or so I called to check on mine and was told my fingerprints didn't show up well enough (no fault of the person or electronic way they were taken) it happens sometimes...(as I have aged my skin is becoming thin) and that the FBI would have to do a different kind of search (by my name I guess).

Has this happened to any of you and if so how long did it actually take?

Just an update to my original post....Received my KTN # today finally...

Input it in our flight reservations...hopefully all is now good.

Thanks so much for not only the helpful responses to my OP but additionally for the dialog my post created...lots of helpful info offered.

C

Just an update to my original post....Received my KTN # today finally...

Input it in our flight reservations...hopefully all is now good.

Thanks so much for not only the helpful responses to my OP but additionally for the dialog my post created...lots of helpful info offered.

Congratulations! Did you just make your reservations today? I was told that the KTN had to be there at the beginning. A couple of times I tried to add it later and they said it was too late. Hopefully that won't be the case with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

Congratulations! Did you just make your reservations today? I was told that the KTN had to be there at the beginning. A couple of times I tried to add it later and they said it was too late. Hopefully that won't be the case with you.

Thank you ...finally...

No...my airline reservations with AA were made in November for my travel in early May.

I went into our flight reservation and there was a place to add/change passenger information and there was a box to add either a Redress # or your KTN # I added the KTN #'s under each of our names and then hit save both times....It seemed to have worked.

Thank you ...finally...

No...my airline reservations with AA were made in November for my travel in early May.

I went into our flight reservation and there was a place to add/change passenger information and there was a box to add either a Redress # or your KTN # I added the KTN #'s under each of our names and then hit save both times....It seemed to have worked.

Sounds good-you should be fine on the way back. Have a great trip.

Note that you must enroll in the program to participate - you can just walk up to those kiosks. I've heard that you can do same-day enrollment in the Dutch program. I haven't heard about the CDG program; when did it start?. As always, one must do their own due diligence to be sure they have the necessary information!

Don't know when it started, but it's similar to our Global Entry program. Theirs is for French nationals returning home (to France).

Don't know when it started, but it's similar to our Global Entry program. Theirs is for French nationals returning home (to France).

Ah, then it isn't a reciprocal program that US citizens can enroll in. That is what I was thinking of. Too bad.

Ah, then it isn't a reciprocal program that US citizens can enroll in. That is what I was thinking of. Too bad.

It's called Parafe. Only at CDG & Orly. US citizens not eligible, but it's open to all EU citizens, and Swiss Confederation.

Edited by 6rugrats

C

On which airline? I know that Jet Blue had some issues accommodating KTNs when they first started in the Pre Check program a couple of years ago, but I had no trouble getting an agent to add mine. I have it stored in my profile on the main carriers that I fly.

OP, I'm glad your number was applied - I hope you find the program as liberating as I have.:D

On which airline? I know that Jet Blue had some issues accommodating KTNs when they first started in the Pre Check program a couple of years ago, but I had no trouble getting an agent to add mine. I have it stored in my profile on the main carriers that I fly.

OP, I'm glad your number was applied - I hope you find the program as liberating as I have.:D

Thank you so much !

And this is so totally wrong. What airport were you at?

And I wonder what one can do when something like this happens? We paid for pre-check because of a condition my husband has that makes it difficult for him with the shoes, belt and jacket business.

You should look into stating that your husband has a medical condition that makes it impossible (or difficult?) for him to _____ (e.g., remove his shoes, or walk without shoes, etc.) and therefore, you/he need assistance with separate screening.

He should then be allowed to avoid "that", and will probably get extra screening by a wand and perhaps swabbing.

This can also be arranged when it is not a Global Entry line; the same rights exist. However, the entire line is usually much slower then.

Or... have him use wheelchair assistance (free at airports) and when he gets to the screening, simply state that for medical reasons, he cannot remove his shoes.

(Or perhaps, depending upon his condition, that he cannot walk IF he removes his shoes...?)

But don't be surprised if some extra attention is paid to those shoes...

(or his belt, or his jacket, etc.)

He also has the right to a private screening, if that is helpful in any way.

There should be TWO security agents present, to avoid any allegations of anything funny.

(We travel with quite a few meds. It hasn't happened recently, but before Global Entry, there were several times when TSA demanded to open a carry on after it went through the scanner. But I always insisted that it be done privately, as I had zero interest in all of our meds and other smalls be displayed openly on a public table. Once, they took *forever* to "find" someone to do the screening, and we are sure that was harassment, but we had no proof, so we said nothing and simply waited, smiling pleasantly all the while. The TSA reps have a LOT of power; don't ever forget that. And complaining later, after being forced to miss a flight because they are annoyed and delay things... that's not in our interest!)

Good luck.