American Table, loved the Food, HATED the Concept

ready2cruzagain

The table cloth thing is getting ridiculous. I've been to some very nice restaurants and very few of them have table cloths any more. To think that a place is low class because it doesn't have a table cloth is just crazy.

I also don't understand why people don't want their silverware on a bare table. Am I missing something? They clean the table between each service. Does a bare table somehow magnetically attract germs? Is it like the little kids game where the floor is lava?

The table cloth thing is getting ridiculous. I've been to some very nice restaurants and very few of them have table cloths any more. To think that a place is low class because it doesn't have a table cloth is just crazy.

I also don't understand why people don't want their silverware on a bare table. Am I missing something? They clean the table between each service. Does a bare table somehow magnetically attract germs? Is it like the little kids game where the floor is lava?

Hey, I was on a submarine! Tablecloths/no tablecloths makes no difference as long as someone doesn't walk by and stick their greasy finger in my mash potatoes!

:)

I actually prefer without the table cloths. With Carnival saying it is the FUN ship and family friendly I honestly do not think table cloths are family friendly for those of us with little kids. I always take my daughter to the MDR and she does pretty well. If she starts yelling of course we leave. But, whenever there is a table cloth of course she starts pulling on it and messing with it. This makes it easier for me to not have to constantly correct her over a cloth.

Our grandkids almost pulled the tablecloths off a few times last year.

I have not tried the American Table yet, so I don't know how to feel about it. The menus look good though. As far as the silverware thing, I like having a separate salad and dinner fork (which is especially handy because I have a small child and forks sometimes get dropped so its nice to have an extra). In most casual dining restaurants (where we usually frequent), although they have a separate salad and dinner fork they are two of the same fork, neither of them really a "salad fork" That is kind of the new trend. And at home, I use the same fork for everything, only get a spoon or knife if its needed, etc. (Except I refuse to eat dessert on my dinner plate, gross).

I am not sure if I am pro table cloth or don't care. I am leaning toward the don't care, but reserve the right to modify that when I actually try it out.

And never in all of my Carnival cruises, on Celebrity or Disney, or even in a land restaurant, do I ever remember getting a shrimp fork when I ordered shrimp. Is that like the tiny fork you get with lobster or crab?

All that said, our society is moving toward more casual. My experience with the younger generations is (generally) they are more into fast, convenient, fresh, and save the environment, without frills. Lobster or swordfish filet tastes the same on a plain dinner plate as it does on fine china. And it is not any less of fine dining. I think its just that the younger generations care less about formalities.

I don't know that I necessarily agree that it is the way it should be, but that is how it is.

Gee, I am making myself sound ancient. I am only 40, but I can definitely see a change in mindset.

I must say that I did enjoy the food with the New American Table menus. The Veal Scallopini was awesome! Not a pressed veal patty but a large cutlet! I did not care for the last menus and really enjoyed these.

Now, as far as the rest goes...HATED it!

I do not place my silver ware on a bare table at home so why in the world would I want to do it in a public place. I missed the table clothes.

The napkins were about the cheapest things I have ever seen, other than paper. They were raggedy and curled up. Looked like they had been washed way too many times.

Most nights we were only given a knife and a fork. No spoon, no salad fork (wait...maybe I ate my meal with a salad fork because it was awfully tiny), no shrimp fork even though ordered shrimp every night. I did receive a steak knife when I ordered steak.

The rolls on the table did not bother me because we were at a table for 2 but if we had been seated with strangers it would have freaked me out. Seen people at the table beside me picking through the bread with their bare hands them putting it back. No thank you, I don't like strangers touching my food with their bare hands when I do not even know if they washed them recently.

The so called "whipped butter" is NOT butter. It is definitely margarine and seen many people complaining about this. I know JH stated in the past it is butter and showed a pic of a box of butter pats but that proved nothing because they do serve butter pats at the buffet.

My solution was to ask for individual butter pats when in the MDR, because I do not eat margarine (most people would not eat eat margarine if they knew how it was made...google it).

I did like the water carafe on the table because in the past I always had a hard time getting my water refilled, this made it quite easy.

I noticed that we never once finished dinner in less than 1 1/2 hours but that was fine by me since I don't like being rushed when eating. For those that like to eat in a hurry, the American Table did seem to take quite a bit longer.

I think you need to forget about the mass market lines and move past the upscale lines all the way to luxury. That is the only way you are going to have your desires met. You also need to stay out of most local restaurants, they don't use clothes or place mats either.

For every one that talks about silver on a table I assume that you use linen tables clothes daily at home, and cloth napkins. I can assure you that the tables on teh ship are more germ free than the ones in your homes. The stuff they wipe them down with is much more efficient than anything that you can buy.

Edited by zqvol

American Table. Loved the food. Loved the concept.

I wasn't sure I was going to like the changes but I actually did. I did like the bread and water on the table. No table cloths didn't bother me. I always had the proper silverware. I liked that they offered a different fruit pie each night. The only thing I didn't like was the fake butter. I look forward to the American Table again so I can try more of the items on the menu.:cool:

Our grandkids almost pulled the tablecloths off a few times last year.

I've seen adults and have been one who stood up and got tangled in the tablecloth...embarassing when it's the General you are standing for and nearly dump the table!!! It's not just kids.

I for one look forward to the fine/elegant dining atmosphere of the main dining room. We enjoy dressing up and having some of the pleasantries of the nice restaurant. I hope American Table is an option for dining and not the standard, I have read enough about it already to consider it to be a downgrade for what I am accustomed to on cruises.

Will it ruin my cruise? NO. Is the dining experience something me and DW look forward to as a couple in mid 40s with young teens at home and ran ragged? YES. I can get standard, go go go, typical dining experience at home.

So if American Table becomes the only option, it may be one of the reasons we may choose a different in price comparison cruise line.

THANK YOU OP for your review. And just becomes someone does not like the change, it don't make them anything other than upset with the change.

Can anyone say definitively whether the American tables, are set with with the cutlery on a napkin, or are they placed directly on the table, ie; when you arrive at your table, how is the cutlery placed? on the table directly? or on top of a napkin or placemat or such? I have seen it described both ways, so now I am wondering which is correct. Thankyou.

Can anyone say definitively whether the American tables, are set with with the cutlery on a napkin, or are they placed directly on the table, ie; when you arrive at your table, how is the cutlery placed? on the table directly? or on top of a napkin or placemat or such? I have seen it described both ways, so now I am wondering which is correct. Thankyou.

When you arrive at the table they are placed on a napkin and like I stated earlier, most of the napkins looked like they had be used and washed way too many times.

The problem occurs when you use your napkin. I guess I could have left the silverware on the napkin and not wiped my mouth. LOL NOT!

Some suggested to put silverware on the bread plate, then where do I place the bread?

When you arrive at the table they are placed on a napkin and like I stated earlier, most of the napkins looked like they had be used and washed way too many times.

The problem occurs when you use your napkin. I guess I could have left the silverware on the napkin and not wiped my mouth. LOL NOT!

Some suggested to put silverware on the bread plate, then where do I place the bread?

Ok, thanks for the response. I guess that I could probably be ok with this, but still it sounds like the table setting with AT, has more than one problem. I still would like to try it, just to try some new menu items. At best, I cruise, once a year, or ever second year, and really cant wait for some change to the old menu. LOL, and look what I did, booked my next cruise, that has the old menu. OH well. I still appreciate and understand where you are coming from with your original post. :)

Of course it is about saving money, fewer table cloths and towels to wash. It is also better on the environment.

Those of you who keep saying upscale restaurants all have table cloths need to get out more.

Really? I think I am out enough.

_0003_0.jpg

Helene-Darroze-at-the-Connaught.jpg

We enjoyed the food, didn't see much difference in quality.

didn't really miss the table cloths and we did have the water carafe holders.

We didn't share a table, and won't I guess on our upcoming cruise as we are doing ATD for the first time. so we didn't have a communal bread basket, but that would not be something I would go for either.

If we did share the table I would ask for my families own bread basket.

Thought they weren't really still doing the "for the table" stuff anymore.

I just got back from a cruise we took 7-Feb. on the Liberty. And started a thread on what I noticed, and started a FIRE STORM:eek: My title was Carnival cut backs. I guess it was a bad idea, pointing out the obvious!!! Honestly I thought that's what this forum was for. However your points are VERY valid...

Good luck with your thread:D I like it and truly, agree with your thought's, and findings. Yet there are those that like the silverware, sliding off the table and pawing through the bread!:) PEACE.

I just got back from a cruise we took 7-Feb. on the Liberty. And started a thread on what I noticed, and started a FIRE STORM:eek: My title was Carnival cut backs. I guess it was a bad idea, pointing out the obvious!!! Honestly I thought that's what this forum was for. However your points are VERY valid...

Good luck with your thread:D I like it and truly, agree with your thought's, and findings. Yet there are those that like the silverware, sliding off the table and pawing through the bread!:) PEACE.

3 pages and no boom.

no need on this thread.

this OP was only half negative! ;)

Actually ....... Haven't we been on the same cruise before, either on indy or anthem ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sounds a bit toilet !

I must say that I did enjoy the food with the New American Table menus. The Veal Scallopini was awesome! Not a pressed veal patty but a large cutlet! I did not care for the last menus and really enjoyed these.

Now, as far as the rest goes...HATED it!

I do not place my silver ware on a bare table at home so why in the world would I want to do it in a public place. I missed the table clothes.

The napkins were about the cheapest things I have ever seen, other than paper. They were raggedy and curled up. Looked like they had been washed way too many times.

Most nights we were only given a knife and a fork. No spoon, no salad fork (wait...maybe I ate my meal with a salad fork because it was awfully tiny), no shrimp fork even though ordered shrimp every night. I did receive a steak knife when I ordered steak.

The rolls on the table did not bother me because we were at a table for 2 but if we had been seated with strangers it would have freaked me out. Seen people at the table beside me picking through the bread with their bare hands them putting it back. No thank you, I don't like strangers touching my food with their bare hands when I do not even know if they washed them recently.

The so called "whipped butter" is NOT butter. It is definitely margarine and seen many people complaining about this. I know JH stated in the past it is butter and showed a pic of a box of butter pats but that proved nothing because they do serve butter pats at the buffet.

My solution was to ask for individual butter pats when in the MDR, because I do not eat margarine (most people would not eat eat margarine if they knew how it was made...google it).

I did like the water carafe on the table because in the past I always had a hard time getting my water refilled, this made it quite easy.

I noticed that we never once finished dinner in less than 1 1/2 hours but that was fine by me since I don't like being rushed when eating. For those that like to eat in a hurry, the American Table did seem to take quite a bit longer.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Honestly I thought that's what this forum was for

It is. Unfortunately for you the items you mentioned have been tossed around over and over and gets a little tiresome for the those that frequent this board often. You just got caught up in the gulf stream of CC.

I'm late to the conversation and it's been awhile since I have taken a Carnival Cruise. I'm booked on one now though and wonder how ones finds out if the ship they are booked on is doing this concept is the MDR.

I, for one, am not interested in a "casual" experience in the MDR. It seems that is the role of the Buffet. Especially for those who book set time dining expectations are for a certain traditional level of décor and service.

Thanks

Face it, in a world that rates Tuesdays/Applebee's as fine dining, Carnival and the rest are adapting to their clientele base. Book Cunard Queens Grill if you want some traditional cruise dining. Of course anything beats my first cruise in 1962 on the USNS Gen Maurice Rose!

Our next cruise is almost a year away, so I'll be interested to hear more opinions about this new "American Table" style of dining.

Some of the things I'm hearing I think I will be happy with, like the water carafe on the table and bread basket too. We will be cruising with family and will have our own table so I have no issue with sharing a bread basket with them. If we were with strangers at a larger table I would prefer to have tongs be served with the basket, rather than everyone using their fingers.

I would miss the tablecloth. No, we don't use one at home all the time but if we have family/friends over for dinner I do use one then. I don't like having my silverware directly on the table in a restaurant, so would rather not have it that way on the cruise either. Some say it is placed on the napkin so that would be fine, or even rolled into the napkin is fine too.

Does anyone know if the Dream now has the "American Table" or does it still have the regular menu, tablecloths, etc.?