What is going on with RCI

pajazz28

My DW and I are going on our 4th RCI cruise and our 8th overall. During our previous cruises we really did not drink a lot because we had younger children and we wanted to set a good example. Maybe we had one drink by the pool during the day and a drink after drink in the theater. Now all the kids are of drinking age and we have started to enjoy alcohol more frequently to be able to hang around with them. So my wife can sit there all day and drink wine steadily for hours and I also drink more. So I do not think the 2 wine bottle we are allowed to take on board will last long. So we were thinking of purchasing the premium package but yesterday it was 57.90 per day and today it is 64.90 per day. How can they just rise the price from one day to the other? Is this a common practice by RCI?

The short answer is YES they can do whatever they want price wise. If your going to drink the amount of alcohol that you suggest, break it down and see if it is worth it to you. They also offer the package when you board the ship. Is it less expensive to wait and board before you get it? That I wouldn't know, maybe another poster can help you with that, enjoy your cruise.

Perhaps the price has gone up, but the published price is $49 + 18% per day. That should come out close to the $57.90 price you mentioned. Are you sailing from a European port where there might be extra taxes added?

RCI fine print says the price may vary on sailings from certain ports due to local taxes. I have read elsewhere that this may be true of Ft. Lauderdale. Could this be the case in your situation?

ETA: The blogger who wrote about this also mentioned that they waited to purchase their package until the ship had reached international waters to avoid the tax. Let me be clear I have NO IDEA whether this information is reliable, so if the situation applies, please check carefully before acting. I don't want to be the one who gave bad info and ruined someone's day!

Edited by cheezwiz

Never seen it change yet based on ship or port or in international waters or not.

I would call them and inquiring about purchasing it and see what they quote you over the phone.

RCI's website is notorious for not working properly and giving errors.

December holiday sailings have higher prices for the beverage packages....maybe that is the reason.

Really?? Not that I have a reason to not believe you, but have never heard or see that yet.

How much extra do they charge for the package?

Do they change all the menu pricing on the ships during this time as well or?

It's bad enough the extra cost during holiday season for the cruise alone never mind hiking other pricing once on board.

I just check my cruise planner on RCCL's website for our June Allure cruise.

It says the premium package is $58 a day.

If you follow it through to checkout its $404.74 total. $57.82 a day.

There is no mention of any gratuity, but $57.82 a day is the same as $49 a day plus 18% gratuity.

Just FYI.

James

Really?? Not that I have a reason to not believe you, but have never heard or see that yet.

How much extra do they charge for the package?

Do they change all the menu pricing on the ships during this time as well or?

It's bad enough the extra cost during holiday season for the cruise alone never mind hiking other pricing once on board.

It depends on the ship. We were on Oasis for Christmas this year snd the price of everything was higher. Every restaurant had an extra $5.00 added to it. I can't remember how much the drink packages were but they were up over the cruise planner price.

The frustrating thing was that they were in the cruise planner at the regular prices but if you waited to purchase them until you boarded (to use up some OBC :) ) you were surprised with the higher prices.:(.

This was our first Christmas cruise experiencing this.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

So my wife can sit there all day and drink wine steadily for hours and I also drink more. So I do not think the 2 wine bottle we are allowed to take on board will last long. So we were thinking of purchasing the premium package but yesterday it was 57.90 per day and today it is 64.90 per day.

How can they just rise the price from one day to the other? Is this a common practice by RCI?

Maybe your reputations have finally caught up with you. :eek::D:D