Spa / massage dilemma

bd1958

I often get the spa package and also book a massage when on a cruise. My problem is with the incessant upselling by the massage therapist. The inquiries about who i'm traveling with, the feigned interest in what I do, the promoting of the upgrades and crazy overpriced house products, and urging of tips all drive me crazy and distract from the relaxation and letting go that a massage should represent. I always tip so that's not the problem, and I feel for the workers who are under enormous pressure to drive up profits. But I want a massage free from the distraction.

i'm considering for my next cruise in march (already have massage booked) making a deal with the therapist: up front, before she lays a hand on me, hand her a tip and say she can let go of any upsell because i'm not buying. I don't want her to feel challenged but also want her to feel liberated from the upsell distraction as well.

What do people think? is this reasonable and respectful? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bruce

Makes sense to me and one would hope it could work, but unfortunately I doubt you would get the masseuse to dispense with the sales talk. I believe that is something that they MUST push under their terms of employment.

Any other thoughts out there?

Yes...upselling is how they make their profit! Just tell them UPFRONT that you do NOT want a sales pitch and you will not be buying anything but their services....that's it!

Yes...they do generally add tip to the bill, so take that into consideration!

My DW was in the cosmetics / skin care business for 20 years with a french company and always tells the massage therapist that in return for not talking during the massage she will add an additional 5-10% to the 15% tip. It's worked on the last 6 massages :)

In the past, I've made a notation on the "health questionnaire" (which they have you fill out after you check in for your appointment), that I am not interested in purchasing any products. That has worked well for me. The last few cruises I haven't made the notation, but I haven't been pressured to buy anything either. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to the bill and I usually add another 5% if I am pleased with the service.

I have had my nails done every two weeks for many years and since I take long cruises for the most part, I am stuck having to visit the spa on the ship. I don't like the personal questions on the health questionnaire and feel my health history is none of Steiner's business.

I was told that I would be denied service if I did not fill it in but was then told I could just write" no health issues" on the form and they would accept that. That is what I have done ever since with no problem.

I read on CC that the reason for the questionnaire has less to do with their concern for your health and more to do with how best to target their product sales pitch.

Thanks to the poster who suggested noting on the form that they will not be buying any products.

In the past, I've made a notation on the "health questionnaire" (which they have you fill out after you check in for your appointment), that I am not interested in purchasing any products. That has worked well for me. The last few cruises I haven't made the notation, but I haven't been pressured to buy anything either. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to the bill and I usually add another 5% if I am pleased with the service.

That's a great idea. I wonder if they realize how much business they loose because of the sales pressure. As to not making money without it, how can they charge triple what I pay at home and not make money.

the first time I had a massage on a cruise I did get the sales pitch at the end and politely declined to buy anything. But my poor dh - he gets sucked in - but he does like their overpriced products.

The next two cruises, when I had a massage - (2 massages on one) I did not get a sales pitch. I have no idea why. . . but I was happy.

DH bought more products - hahaha! Another reason when I check in, I have him assign his own credit card to his card!!

Pat

I went for massages twice during cruises but gave them up after the upsell pressure AND the exorbitant prices. I realized that I could get a much better deal on a massage back home and not have to deal with the sales pitch all of the time.

Same here. Local prices are less than half of the cruise ship price AND I know the quality of massage I will be getting. Plus no sales pitch.

I also use Groupon (and similar companies) to get half off of the normal local price, at times. Many local companies offer other discounts and promotions as well.

I have had one manicure and several massages while on ship. I almost always travel with a carryon. Therefore, I cannot take anything back. Now that Works every time. But, I have decided that the services are just too expensive. I would rather go on an excursion.

Overheard in an elevator on the Eurodam: an older gentleman says to his wife who was looking pretty relaxed coming from the spa "You paid $98 for bubble bath? ? ?" DH and I just looked at each other and smiled.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)