Acupuncture?

Chardonnay Char

I would be cautious about the acupuncture services on a ship. There are acupuncturists and there are acupuncturists. Some are good, many are not. My son is a physician acupuncturist and he charges less than the ships, to my last knowledge. In Philly, a standard session costs $60-75. if that helps.

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

My wife and I both used one on the Equinox last month (January). They are employees of the Canyon Ranch Spa so that should give you a good idea of the pricing. I do not remember the costs of our treatments mainly because both of us had multiple treatments over the 11 day cruise (9 total I think).

This was my first experience with acupuncture, so I cannot compare my treatments with anything. My wife had one ship board treatment a few years ago, but could not really remember much about it.

The doctor (an M.D.) was from India and was 27 years old. Very friendly, but a little hard to understand sometimes. His bio said that he is a "registered Acupuncture and Naturopathy Physician". His complete bio was impressive.

My wife believes her treatments were very helpful, I am not so sure about mine. However, my medical case has baffled all doctors, so I may have been a lost cause to begin with.

Celebrity started selling the Acupuncturist thing about 4 years ago. When Acupuncturists first came aboard, I'm pretty sure they were Spa employees not Celebrity employees.

I believe this has changed upon Canyon Ranch taking over Spa and Fitness Center operations from Steiner. The M class ships have a separate Salon or clinic not adjacent to the spa as before which is what makes me think this might be true. I'm not sure about the Solstice class ships which two years ago is where I got my treatment (Solstice). Acupuncturists on the Solstice Class ships may still be doing their thing in Spa rooms.

States have varying licensing requirements for Acupuncturists. I'm not sure about Celebrity (or Canyon Ranch if they are still involved in hiring them). That is what I'd be leery of. Although a ship Acupuncturist may have an Impressive resume, it's hard to tell whether or not he is competent and properly trained.

I booked a 6 session package with an Acupuncturist who had an active California License. At least it was hanging in the treatment room and was current. The package brought the per treatment price down to around $65 not including the standard 18% add on. I had a shoulder issue and that was the target. This was my first acupuncture experience.

The Acupuncturist was very clear about what to expect during the evaluation I had which was free with five other sessions to follow. I thought he delivered and was also very honest about what he could not and did not end up doing. Typically and depending on your complaint, you won't notice much the first two sessions. The third session I noticed I felt better, more relaxed in mind and body (decreased muscle tension). That feeling or perception following each treatment persisted and seemed to get a little more noticeable through all five sessions.

What didn't go away was the shoulder issue. The discomfort was blunted but not eliminated. The best part of his treatment is that he told me exactly what the problem was and that I might benefit from Chiropractic. Upon return from the cruise, I tried that, told the Chiropractor what I had been told by the acupuncturist and the problem resolved in about 2 weeks and has not returned even though I'm not seeing the Chiropractor at present. It was all related to posture, an old thoracic vertebral fracture and I got relief in my shoulder from some neck and thoracic spine adjustments.

I thought the Acupuncture experience from onboard Celebrity was good. I used OBC to pay for it so, I can't complain about the cost. What kind of package is going to be offered is going to be demand determined. If you can wait a few days into your cruise, you might be able to work something out. Always ask for a package at a reduced price so you get to that $60-$70 per session range. Everything I have read about and personally experienced with Acupuncture says it takes a couple of sessions to produce results.

Ask about licenses held. If they have a current state license, their training, which is extensive, has been certified by that State's licensing board. If they don't have one of those, I'd probably think twice before signing up.

Finally, understand what you are getting into. Acupuncture is a treatment modality in Eastern or Chinese Medicine. It is the same category as Reflexology and is a complimentary treatment in the use of herbal medicine. It has been around for thousands of years. Any competent acupuncturist will tell you if you have, for example, significant and persistent abdominal pain, not just post meal indigestion, see an MD first, have it worked up, possibly with imaging. If everything checks out and their is no organic basis that can be found in the work-up, acupuncture can be helpful.

Great post jbuch02!

I can confirm that the acupuncture doctor was working for Canyon Ranch on the Equinox. He used their rooms, booked all appointments through them, gave presentations in their area, and tried to sell CR products.

He also mentioned that like all ship/spa employees, the doctors were transferred between ships, so he didn't know what ship he would be on next. Actually, he was a very interesting person to talk to.

I had a session on the Equinox back in Dec.

The cost for the basic acupuncture session was nearly $200.

You see? This is what I'm talking about. In addition, there is spa-style acupuncture (we in the business call it fluff), and there is medical acupuncture and traditional Chinese acupuncture. I was a holistic practitioner of Chinese and energy medicine for 20 years. I am a Reiki Master, and I practiced acupressure along with other energy modalities. Acupressure is acupuncture without the needles.

I would never ever waste my money on the ship version, even if it's Canyon Ranch, as it would be the "spa" version of the very effective and wonderful, ancient practice of acupuncture.

Get yourself a massage or a reflexology treatment on the ship, and seek out a good acupuncturist when you get home. First of all, it takes a minimum of 4-6 sessions to help your condition. Maybe. My son did about 20 sessions with me, before it put a dent in the health issue. One or two sessions on the ship would do almost nothing except maybe relax you. Secondly, there are different schools of acupuncture, and the one done on the ship may be very different that follow-ups back home.

This is an area in which I have much experience. I rarely use the spa services on ships, because I am spoiled. My colleagues and I often traded services, and I know what a truly therapeutic session looks and feels like.

I also recommend interviewing the practitioner to see if you resonate with his/her energy. I hope this helps. At the end of the day, do what feels right to you and don't pay attention to a word I say.

Take care!

Celebrity started selling the Acupuncturist thing about 4 years ago. When Acupuncturists first came aboard, I'm pretty sure they Were Spa employees not Celebrity employees.

Acupuncturists have been onboard longer than that - at least as early 2007, and likely before, but I can't comment there as never went to one aboard before then. I also couldn't tell you whether she was a Celebrity or Spa employees, but the Acupuncturist room was mid-ship, below (above?) the library on Constellation, what now is either interior cabins or iLounge depending... For whatever that's worth.

Edited by reedprincess