Norwegian Sun: Tips and Tidbits?

3Fluffies

I've seen general threads like this for several of NCL's other ships, and since I'm sailing on the NCL Sun in May, I'd love to know any advice, pointers, warnings, or just interesting tidbits that previous cruisers have for her.

I'm aware she's one of their older and smaller ships and showing her age, and doesn't have some of the bells and whistles, but surely there are particular things that other passengers have liked or disliked about her.

It's an Alaska cruise, Vancouver to Seward, 7 nights beginning May 30. Looks like she'll be pretty busy this spring, so other upcoming passengers might find this useful too.

Anybody? Everybody? Fire away!

We did this cruise a few years ago. We loved the Sun. Yes she is older and smaller but I think that is what we enjoyed so much

She has a great Observation Lounge for Glacier Bay day. Make sure you are there early to get a window seat. The National Park Service people will climb on board around 6:30 in the morning and the talk will begin around 7:30

The Sun has been known for her crew. Because she is smaller the crew is able to get to know you better and we found that everyone was happy and made sure you had a good time.

We did this cruise a few years ago. We loved the Sun. Yes she is older and smaller but I think that is what we enjoyed so much

She has a great Observation Lounge for Glacier Bay day. Make sure you are there early to get a window seat. The National Park Service people will climb on board around 6:30 in the morning and the talk will begin around 7:30

The Sun has been known for her crew. Because she is smaller the crew is able to get to know you better and we found that everyone was happy and made sure you had a good time.

That's precisely the kind of insider tip I was hoping for! Thanks tons! (My first - and so far only - cruise was on the Norwegian Majesty, less than half the size and capacity of the NCL Sun and almost 10 years older, so I'm not put off by age and size factors alone, and I agree with you they can sometimes involve hidden pluses too.)

If using elevators mid-ship there is bank of elevators a few steps forward from the Atrium ones. They are much faster as they are less crowded with less stops.

Also there are 2 on each side, but the buttons are not linked - so if you only push the up/down on one side it won't stop the other side if it would have been first.

La Cucina is one of the best locations for a Specialty -- every table has a great oceanview.

Question for experienced pax: are any other breakfast venues besides the main buffet complimentary? I heard Moderno has a good buffet, but that it was only free for suite-plus.

When we were on her in 2013 the Sports Bar directly across from the buffet had a small buffet open. They may have moved it to Moderno but it was free but mostly danish, fruit, coffee etc. They did have a few hot dishes but not near what the buffet had. Worth checking out at least

And the Spinnaker Lounge (actually just called the Observation lounge on the Sun), deck 12 forward, you can go out doors next to the stage and be on a full forward open deck. Great views from there..and windy if the ship is moving.

Here are a couple exterior photos of the Sun observation lounge outside deck -

facing the Sun

67099d50-9d52-4ae5-a1e0-c1cbcf658afe_zps7a579b15.jpg

side view

09177d07-a584-46fc-aab7-6a15f1bbad3a_zps63813aa1.jpg

l

Question for experienced pax: are any other breakfast venues besides the main buffet complimentary? I heard Moderno has a good buffet, but that it was only free for suite-plus.

The Great Outdoor has a good breakfast selection including eggs prepared for you however you like.

The Great Outdoor has a good breakfast selection including eggs prepared for you however you like.

Is the Great Outdoors the same as the Garden cafe, or are they separate? On the last ship I was on, the Great Outdoors was essentially an extension of the Garden Cafe, but that was a much smaller vessel.

ETA: Oh, and if any recent passengers on the Sun happen to have pictures of the recent menus to share, I will love you forever!

Edited by 3Fluffies

Is the Great Outdoors the same as the Garden cafe, or are they separate? On the last ship I was on, the Great Outdoors was essentially an extension of the Garden Cafe, but that was a much smaller vessel.

ETA: Oh, and if any recent passengers on the Sun happen to have pictures of the recent menus to share, I will love you forever!

The Great Outdoors is an open area bar and grill, separate from the buffet, and is on the back of deck 11 (I believe that's it on the Sun). It has its own selection of items for breakfast and lunch and snack items in the afternoon and evening. It is similar to the Great Outdoors on the Jewel class ships.

QUOTE]

The Great Outdoors is an open area bar and grill, separate from the buffet, and is on the back of deck 11 (I believe that's it on the Sun). It has its own selection of items for breakfast and lunch and snack items in the afternoon and evening. It is similar to the Great Outdoors on the Jewel class ships.

it is sorta an extension of the Garden Café and typically has some but not all of the offerings from the Café. Typically, the line for an omelet or custom cooked eggs is shorter at The Great Outdoors than it is inside. Unless we are lucky enough to have access to the Suite's lunch (which is in Il Adiago -yes, I know that isn't its name anymore but it will always be Il Adiago to me) it is where we always have breakfast and lunch when aboard Sun...well except for embarkation day when we always start out with a civilized lunch in the MDR!:D

Here is my other "secret" for Sun...when enjoying the Schooner/Cigar Bar or Dazzles, the closest restroom is behind the bar in Schooner/behind the DJ booth in Dazzles. There is a set of double doors from both venues that leads to a very short corridor where you can find the most unused restroom facilities on the ship.