Norwegian Sun: Tips and Tidbits?

3Fluffies

Did you go to the White Dance Party? Was wondering if they use heaters on the pool deck or if they move it inside in Alaska when it is cold? We are going during the second half of August and trying to decide what to buy to wear since we are coming from the heat of Florida.

Did not do white party, but it was 55 during the days, probably cold by Florida standards.

Were you able to get into Glacier Bay?

We've heard that can be "iffy" early in the season.

Thanks!

Last year on the Vancouver to Seward itinerary fog prevented the ship from cruising Hubbard Glacier. On the return itinerary we were able to view it. The two itineraries were the last week in May and the first week in June.

Glacier Bay wasn't an issues on either itinerary.

Sawyer Glacier has been hit or miss that last three years based on our experience. Not really a lot to write home about.

John

Did you go to the White Dance Party? Was wondering if they use heaters on the pool deck or if they move it inside in Alaska when it is cold? We are going during the second half of August and trying to decide what to buy to wear since we are coming from the heat of Florida.

I can't speak for August, but during May and early June the White Hot Party has been in Dazzles.

Can any Sun veterans give me an idea of how long it generally takes to get off-ship on port days for excursions? I've scheduled all my excursions for fairly early after arrival in port and want to make sure I'm in line to get off the ship with with plenty of wiggle room to meet my tours.

Tips? I've seen general chatter that disembarking on busy port days can take as long as an hour (and I'll want to factor in wake-up time and at least a quick muffin or pastry at the buffet!)

if it is not a tender port, I have never experienced any real delay in getting off once they announce the gangway is in place and available. Typically, it takes a30-45 minutes from when one docks until they announce you can go ashore.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm eager to hear from any of the Sun's Alaska passengers from the past few weeks. (I depart next Monday.) Comments? Warnings? Dare I hope the sewage smell I've heard about has decreased?

Hold your breath in the aft.. it still smells like sewage, especially on port days. I was on the May 8-16 SUN post drydock.

My cabin was 9072 port/aft and I reported the smell for several days. There is nothing staff can do except send housekeeping to spray some awful smelling baby powder stuff to try and mask the odor. For me, with allergies, it made things worse. I slept with the balcony door open for 4 nights in a row. We were blessed with gorgeous weather so leaving the door open was refreshing. I received an apology from the front desk in the form of chocolate covered stawberries. No cabin credit was offered. I can not attest to how it smelled elsewhere.

I'm eager to hear from any of the Sun's Alaska passengers from the past few weeks. (I depart next Monday.) Comments? Warnings? Dare I hope the sewage smell I've heard about has decreased?

On a brighter and morepositive note if you like to shop, the best place I found on my cruise was in Ketchican at THE OUTLET STORE. It's right across from the pier, you can see it from the ship. Great prices. Look for the coupon nook at the entrance to the stores for better deals and a few freebies. I collect magnets and this place had the best selection and prices. 52dca696cd28bc93fe3d0517a563ce0f.jpg

Why does it smell? Even inside the cabins?! We r on the aft 9th floor in july

From my recent experience, the smell seems to come from the vents, not the bathroom, but it definitely smells like sewage.

We just got off the Sun on Monday in Vancouver. The sewage smell is on all floors at the aft stairwell. Not sure about the rooms but it was there every day and night that we were on those stairs.

Aaaahhhh, I can just picture it now. I'm going through the Panama Canal coming up in October on my aft mini suite balcony with poo smells wafting through the cabin. Ugh!

Well, I did just book a botanical garden excursion in Costa Rica so I better get a good whiff of those fragrant flowers to offset the poo :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We were on the Sun for 2 weeks back in October. We were in an aft mini suite and are happy to report that there were no bad smells.

The Sun is a great ship. Not too big and not too small. As others have mentioned, Moderno was a nice alternative to the main buffet. We ate there numerous times for breakfast and lunch. A nice, smaller scale breakfast buffet that also had an omelet and waffle station. I believe it was open until 10:30 for breakfast. For lunch it was a nice change too and we seemed to miss the main dining room lunch time on numerous occasions. I think Moderno was open until 2:30 for lunch. Pizza slices, pasta (DH loved the spaghetti bolognese) salads, fruit, etc.

Also, the Sports Bar had a pub fare type menu in the evenings after 5:30 if you wanted to order food while watching a sporting event. The Sports Bar also had small bags of popcorn in the afternoons.

Another tidbit is the "secret" lounge chair area as you are going up the stairs on either side of the ship between Decks 11 and 12. There was only room for 4 lounge chairs in these areas. So if you want a quiet place away from the noisy pool area, I'm letting the "secret" out ;)

ry%3D400