Toll road question

poohpaah94

We are flying into Orlando intl airport, spending one night pre cruise at disney then driving to port canaveral. Can you please tell me if we can pay cash at the toll booths we will encounter or do we need to rent a transponder from the rental car company?

We are flying into Orlando intl airport, spending one night pre cruise at disney then driving to port canaveral. Can you please tell me if we can pay cash at the toll booths we will encounter or do we need to rent a transponder from the rental car company?

You can pay cash.

clarification

assuming you go direct from MCO to the port

there are two tolls of $1 each

both take cash

it is not unusual to see a queue of a dozen vehicles or more at the attended lane. There ARE also exact change lanes and I seldom see a queue at these lanes so a handful of quarters can see you through

be careful .... the electron pay lanes go 'straight through' while the pay lanes look like an exit to many folks. To pay cash stay right .... THEN once on the pay area the attended lane will be right and the exact change lane to the left . . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

How much is the rental company charging you for the transponder? You can buy your own for $20. Depending upon how often you do this and how much the rental company is charging, it might be a deal. You would need the portable one for $20 plus tolls. Personally, for a short trip like this, I would just drop a few quarters in your luggage.

We drive our own car down twice a year so we bought the one you permanently attach for about $5 plus tolls. Makes life so much simpler.

You create an account, put a few bucks on the transponder, and just keep driving at the toll booths. But, we're looking at very long drives so anything that saves time is worth it.

sunpass.com

As you state you will be staying one night at Disney it is likely you will take the 417 to the 528 for the trip to PC. There were 4 tolls last time we made that trip and all had cash lanes. As has been said, there were exact change lanes at all of them.

oops sorry, I missed the 'staying at Disney part' (recovering from hip replacement ... a lil drugged at times!)

so concur, use 417 to stay south of the airport. you add two tolls but the rules are the same. Follow the marked route and the first plaza you should encounter is John Young

(I'd stay away from 528 'tween the airport and I-4 ... that section is under construction and the toll plazas are changing ... stay away .... also you COULD have an issue depending on how you get ON 417 at the Disney end. Stay with the major marked routes and you'll be OK altho everything around Orlando takes change unlike Miami where many tolls are electrons only)

tollmap_zps821b25c5.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

Make sure you fully understand the rental agreement for tolls. We (I live in Florida ) are having a big problem with rental companies tacking on huge charges for tolls . The legislature is dealing with this but until there is statewide regulation get the policy in writing and then make a decision about whether you want to rent their Sun Pass transponder. It's the same type of nonsense that we're all used to regarding how much gas was in the car, etc. It's not the people who live here; it's the rental companies and they are giving us a bad reputation. Sorry.

Make sure you fully understand the rental agreement for tolls. We (I live in Florida ) are having a big problem with rental companies tacking on huge charges for tolls . The legislature is dealing with this but until there is statewide regulation get the policy in writing and then make a decision about whether you want to rent their Sun Pass transponder. It's the same type of nonsense that we're all used to regarding how much gas was in the car, etc. It's not the people who live here; it's the rental companies and they are giving us a bad reputation. Sorry.

I agree with this.

We typically use Avis, and they used to charge us one convenience fee, something like $6, and add whatever the toll was. That changed without notice, and now if you use the transponder once, they charge the convenience fee every day of the rental.