No Rest For The Weary on the Radiance

My biggest take-away from this cruise is "Never ever take a 'holiday' cruise again". That being said, I have (in the past) taken a Christmas/New Year's cruise on another cruise line with nary a problem. However, on this particular one, Royal Caribbean took no heed of their own policies and changed them at the whim of the Captain to suit the demographics.

My biggest complaint has to do with what they deem their 'Solarium Pool' and referring to it as a 'Quiet Zone'. Nothing could have been further from the truth. From Day 1 to Day 5, the Radiance's Daily Planner noted, "The Solarium pool, hot tubs and the Solarium area are reserved for guests 16 years of age and older only". Another handout on Day 1 also stated, "This policy enables all guests to share equally in the enjoyment of the facilities." Ha! Not so. On Day 2 of our cruise, the rules changed to allow children to use these facilities between 10-12 and 2-4. That meant that those wishing any kind of Quiet Zone were relegated to the other times of the day.

I must point out that after Day 5, the Daily Planner now noted, "The Solarium swimming pool, whirlpools and sun lounges in the Solarium pool area are reserved for guest 16 years of age and older. During times of bad weather and select hours, the ship may permit the Solarium Pool to be used by persons under 16 years of age for certain periods." However, only on the first two days was there inclement weather, yet the Captain and his Executive staff (their term, not mine) decided to call this a 'Family' cruise. It seemed there was now over 650 children on the ship.

Sad to say, I should also point out that their Adventure Ocean facilities for children were unable to keep up with the demand and many youngsters were told there was no room for them.

Royal Caribbean's Guest Conduct Policy also addressed issues pertaining to 'parental and guardian responsibilities' and 'dining areas dress code'. These policies also went by the way side. Even on formal nights and in the Specialty Restaurants, persons were seen in tank tops and flip flops, although the Dining Room Dinner policy noted that they would not be permitted. During one particular lunch, a toddler clad only in a diaper (with father in tow) was seen running in the main dining room right by 'Mr. Washy, Washy' and nary a word was mentioned by cruise staff.

If you're of like mind and, based on the above, I suggest you consider what you're looking for in a cruise before even thinking of boarding one where the Captain and his staff condone any kind of behavior and 'rules' are only put on paper and not enforced.

No one wants to "offend" anyone anymore...even if the rules state otherwise, and the offenders are in the wrong. Too sad.

Agree and well said. However I pushed the gym policy one afternoon on our September Costal Cruise and had three young unsupervised teenagers (my guess 13 or 14 years old) removed from the gym for running from equipment to equipment while yelling at each other.

Edited by davekathy

No one wants to "offend" anyone anymore...even if the rules state otherwise, and the offenders are in the wrong. Too sad.

By the end of the cruise, the children 'had the run' of the ship . . . literally so! We took this New Year's Eve cruise thinking it'd be 'more adult' oriented since Christmas was over. Our mistake being that the schools in Australia were out for months for their 'summer' vacation. Lesson learned . . . check out embarkation city's holidays in advance of booking a cruise.:cool:

By the end of the cruise, the children 'had the run' of the ship . . . literally so! We took this New Year's Eve cruise thinking it'd be 'more adult' oriented since Christmas was over. Our mistake being that the schools in Australia were out for months for their 'summer' vacation. Lesson learned . . . check out embarkation city's holidays in advance of booking a cruise.:cool:

Actually Christmas School holidays in Australia are about 5 or 6 weeks.

Not sure why you'd be surprised that "summer" vacation as you call is would take place in summer.

And yes if kids are an issue to someone they should check wehn school terms are.

My biggest take-away from this cruise is "Never ever take a 'holiday' cruise again". That being said, I have (in the past) taken a Christmas/New Year's cruise on another cruise line with nary a problem. However, on this particular one, Royal Caribbean took no heed of their own policies and changed them at the whim of the Captain to suit the demographics.

My biggest complaint has to do with what they deem their 'Solarium Pool' and referring to it as a 'Quiet Zone'. Nothing could have been further from the truth. From Day 1 to Day 5, the Radiance's Daily Planner noted, "The Solarium pool, hot tubs and the Solarium area are reserved for guests 16 years of age and older only". Another handout on Day 1 also stated, "This policy enables all guests to share equally in the enjoyment of the facilities." Ha! Not so. On Day 2 of our cruise, the rules changed to allow children to use these facilities between 10-12 and 2-4. That meant that those wishing any kind of Quiet Zone were relegated to the other times of the day.

I must point out that after Day 5, the Daily Planner now noted, "The Solarium swimming pool, whirlpools and sun lounges in the Solarium pool area are reserved for guest 16 years of age and older. During times of bad weather and select hours, the ship may permit the Solarium Pool to be used by persons under 16 years of age for certain periods." However, only on the first two days was there inclement weather, yet the Captain and his Executive staff (their term, not mine) decided to call this a 'Family' cruise. It seemed there was now over 650 children on the ship.

Sad to say, I should also point out that their Adventure Ocean facilities for children were unable to keep up with the demand and many youngsters were told there was no room for them.

Royal Caribbean's Guest Conduct Policy also addressed issues pertaining to 'parental and guardian responsibilities' and 'dining areas dress code'. These policies also went by the way side. Even on formal nights and in the Specialty Restaurants, persons were seen in tank tops and flip flops, although the Dining Room Dinner policy noted that they would not be permitted. During one particular lunch, a toddler clad only in a diaper (with father in tow) was seen running in the main dining room right by 'Mr. Washy, Washy' and nary a word was mentioned by cruise staff.

If you're of like mind and, based on the above, I suggest you consider what you're looking for in a cruise before even thinking of boarding one where the Captain and his staff condone any kind of behavior and 'rules' are only put on paper and not enforced.

for this long winded rant.....:rolleyes:

My biggest take-away from this cruise is "Never ever take a 'holiday' cruise again"...

My biggest complaint has to do with what they deem their 'Solarium Pool' and referring to it as a 'Quiet Zone'. Nothing could have been further from the truth...

Actually...these are all very true observations...although some others may consider then rants. They also apply anytime schools are in any extended vacation period.

We saw the same thing during one "Spring Break" cruise as well, and a close friend experienced the very same things on a Christmas cruise. It is also true that parents seem to have limited accountability for the actions (policy enforcement for noise and access to adult areas) of their children on a cruise, a disturbing pattern.

So your statements are well-founded, and advice to "know what you'll see when you book a holiday cruise" is sound.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Hi Audrey, having cruised with you on this one and having done the NYE cruise three times before on the Radiance, this one was way out of control in relation to the kids. The Family Time in the Solarium was a disgrace and there was such an uproar (led by you lol) that they didn't dare repeat it on the 7th January cruise - just as many kids, if not more.

The reason I was not happy about the Solarium being turned into a playpen was because adults without children had paid their fares (and a lot more in a lot of cases) and had nowhere to swim whilst under this banner due to the main pool being wall-to-wall kids - not to mention the whirlpools.

I will say that the kids on the 7th January cruise were overall better behaved (just) but by the end of it were just as bored and up to the usual tricks - you know, bell ringing, riding the lifts, etc, etc.

Everything you said was right and even though it was School Holidays, sadly there doesn't seem to be enough of us that believe that kids should still have to behave themselves and parents need a kick up the backside for not supervising their kids. We expect kids on board in the School Holidays but that doesn't mean they should be able to Rule.

Royal needs to (as do other cruise lines) find an answer as to how to entertain the young teenagers because they are the ones that are bored and roaming the ship(s) unsupervised and most indignant if you ask them to stand up in the lifts:rolleyes:.

Royal needs to also lower the 1am curfew. I don't know how many times I have heard parents saying that they didn't know what time their kids got in:eek:

Maybe next time we should form packs of adults and roam the ships and ride the lifts - maybe not, we would get kicked off:D

Finally, if Royal wants to make it a "Family Cruise" then that's how it should be marketed so that unsuspecting Internationals and any other adults or first time cruisers wishing to travel without kids are forewarned.

Rant over!

See you in Vancouver:):):)

Cheers

Di

C'mon ..... lighten up.

Just ignore their bad behaviour and mind your own business. Sure they are not supposed to do it but they are on holidays. They will probably be perfect during the year but are they not allowed to play up when on holidays? It's their break too.

(Just the same advice I have been given on other matters of cruising, I do not really believe it)

Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny! Now that's funny!

I think it had to be a long quote, so I fixed that. :)

C'mon ..... lighten up.

Just ignore their bad behaviour and mind your own business. Sure they are not supposed to do it but they are on holidays. They will probably be perfect during the year but are they not allowed to play up when on holidays? It's their break too.

(Just the same advice I have been given on other matters of cruising, I do not really believe it)

At least they weren't intoxicated

I totally agree with you that this has been getting way out of control. We have noticed it ramping up, but to take away your adult place of quiet is just not right. They are obviously making so much money from the school holiday bookings that they are not putting any limit at all on the amount of children.

I think it would not hurt RCI to advise passengers that these cruises are expecting a high number of children which should be considered when booking.

We had 770 on a Radiance trip a couple of years ago and we vowed never to go in school holidays again. The cruise before us had over 900 children and passengers that had done consecutive cruises said the staff were struggling with it. On our recent Explorer trip, we went after the holidays and that was a very different atmosphere. Consecutive cruisers on that trip said that teenagers on the previous cruise were baiting the staff. That can get very nasty as staff are often in areas alone.

People can say don't worry about it, but we got told another saying recently.

"Your behaviour is negatively affecting my experience".

I just cancelled our Ovation booking the other day as it was 9th January next year, and my fear of what it might be like with too many school aged children was greater than my anticipation of a nice new ship.

As far as parents supervising the children, well I have seen the Royal Caribbean adverts. "Come on the cruise and we will look after the kids for you." Then a shot of the parents relaxing with a drink by the pool. That is what they are selling, so I don't totally blame the parents either. They are over-selling the product if they can't fit all the kids onto the relevant kids clubs. There would have to be some pretty annoyed parents on these cruises feeling very ripped off!

I do think of you every time there is a news story about Trump going ahead. I know you were not alone in your opinion back then.

We do not get to vote here but I sure hope he wins. He is the president you deserve :D

How kind of you.