Question about redeeming points from RCI credit card

dln929

We've been hoarding our points for a while but now that we want to redeem the terminology confuses me! For example, for 75K points, one of the deals is a companion fare for a 5-7 night Caribbean cruise, value not to exceed $1500. Then it says "minimum available ocean view." What does this mean exactly? Can we only get an ocean view cabin--which doesn't make sense because you can get a JS for $1500 pp on some Caribbean cruises. If I can find a $1500 JS will my 75K points cover the companion fare?

For 125K points, we can get a cruise with a value not to exceed $2500 for two people, and again "minimum available ocean view." Help! If I have to save up this many points I sure as heck don't want an ocean view cabin for DH and me.

How does this work? Thanks for any help!

You can book whatever category you want to. At the time that you redeem your points they will calculate the value of them based on the lowest priced OV room that is available the day that you redeem them. They will apply that value (up to the max allowed) to your booking.

The will base it on the FULL FARE before any 30/30 or BOGO is applied.

You can call them for further clarification 888-305-4626

Edited by molly361

Thank you all. I think this will work out well. So to use an example, there's a Serenade cruise for 11 nights and the price of the ocean view cabin before discounts and port tax and fees is $1819. The price of a balcony after the 30% off sale is $1818. So I can book, for 125K points, a balcony companion fare and have only to pay $18 overage for it. That looks okay to me. :D

Thank you all. I think this will work out well. So to use an example, there's a Serenade cruise for 11 nights and the price of the ocean view cabin before discounts and port tax and fees is $1819. The price of a balcony after the 30% off sale is $1818. So I can book, for 125K points, a balcony companion fare and have only to pay $18 overage for it. That looks okay to me. :D

The 125,000 points is for a 5 -7 night cruise- More points are required for an 11 night one. See attached

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/visa/royal_web_rewards_chart_01-11-16.pdf

If you do anything online be sure to call and verify everything. Last cruise I used points for obc. Everything went through like it was supposed to (it seemed) and I thought I was all set.

Just because I'm a little ocd and paranoid :eek: I decided to call them...I needed to HEAR that everything was as it should be. Nothing was showing up on their end and my points had been deducted. Seemed there was a glitch in the system and my points were just floating around in cyber space. RCI finally located them and applied them. Rep actually told me that next time just call them first and let them apply the points...lots of "system problems".

Better safe than sorry....

Everything must be based on the same pricing. If you are using the 30% off for the balcony, they will use the 30% off for the price of the min available ocean view. But you can wait to redeem your points to see if the min ocean view price goes higher. It is easiest just to call and let them give you the correct prices they will be using. You don't have to book at that time - they will just tell you how it would work for the particular sailing you are looking at.

Edited by MNfamilycruiser

We didn't have any luck using our points for a free cruise due to the BOGO restrictions.

We ended up using 2 - 50,000 certificates to save $1,000 off our 11 night on Serenade. It was able to be combined with the BOGO sale, thank goodness.

Not as good as a free cruise, but better than the OBC option.