Latest Guarantee Cabins Gamblers

Toad

We sailed on the Zuiderdam in January and had booked a Balcony VE guarantee and were given Cabin VA4123. I had fretted the wait for a guarantee and will probably never book another one! We were lucky to get a cabin that was closer to mid than aft and on a low deck. We had a corner balcony with lifeboats on one side. Probably not a cabin I would have chosen but we enjoyed the "non-enclosed" feel of the balcony.

Sorry that did not work out for you especially since you wanted a mid-ship room. That is not important to me, but I am sure it is for some. I guess I am a gambler. Never have been terribly disappointed, and always enjoyed our cruises as I am sure you did as well.

I sailed January 31st on the Eurodam. Booked a VE guarantee and got assigned a VB (one of the rear facing cabins on deck 4). I took an upsell to a SZ and then got (briefly!) assigned a SS. Then was given a free upgrade to a SA!! Best luck I've ever had!!

I usually book a VE or VD guarantee and end up with a VD.... :)

Before the re-categorization in the Spring of 2014 we had booked 9 gtys ranging from VH to VE and always were assigned a VA or VB. Now there are just too many cabins that HAL ranks highly that we would not want (especially the deck 5 center section) and will no longer book gtys. We now choose specific VE or VF on decks 7 or 8 that used to be called VA.

Edited by jtl513

To add my opinion on guarantees: be VERY careful to be sure that you are happy with ANY cabin in the category you are booking AND the cabins in higher categories. HAL's newly changed (about 1-2 years ago) category system resulted in some unusual situations (IMO).

For example, in assisting a friend book a Vista suite on the Maasdam, I really liked the to lowest level cabin groupings, BC and BB. Both are on the same level as the Neptune suites (a few feet away), have easy access to the Seaview pool area, are one deck from the Lido buffet and are below the Lido dining area which is carpeted and thus fairly quiet.

By comparison, the BA cabins (higher ranking) and some of the Bs (even higher) are further aft than the BC and BBs, plus they are right under the Seaview pool area (often get chair scrapping noises). Further, they are above the MDR (while the BBs and BCs are above cabins).

To most people the BB and BC cabins would likely be preferred. BUT, if you took a BC or BB guarantee, you could ended up being upgraded to these BA and B cabins! So, I had my friend downgrade from a BB guarantee to a BC actual cabin (for the same money). Just saying - BE CAREFUL.

Edited by DaveOKC

To add my opinion on guarantees: be VERY careful to be sure that you are happy with ANY cabin in the category you are booking AND the cabins in higher categories. HAL's newly changed (about 1-2 years ago) category system resulted in some unusual situations (IMO).

For example, in assisting a friend book a Vista suite on the Maasdam, I really liked the to lowest level cabin groupings, BC and BB. Both are on the same level as the Neptune suites (a few feet away), have easy access to the Seaview pool area, are one deck from the Lido buffet and are below the Lido dining area which is carpeted and thus fairly quiet.

By comparison, the BA cabins (higher ranking) and some of the Bs (even higher) are further aft than the BC and BBs, plus they are right under the Seaview pool area (often get chair scrapping noises). Further, they are above the MDR (while the BBs and BCs are above cabins).

To most people the BB and BC cabins would likely be preferred. BUT, if you took a BC or BB guarantee, you could ended up being upgraded to these BA and B cabins! So, I had my friend downgrade from a BB guarantee to a BC actual cabin (for the same money). Just saying - BE CAREFUL.

This is so important to remember. I'm generally really ok with any balcony cabin except the Juliette ones on the eurodam. I booked an specific Oceanview on the the NA and marked it do not upgrade as I don't want something Hal calls an upgraded oceanview.

I don't know if this qualifies as recent to you, but this was our experience for our eastern Med cruise in late September on Nieuw Amsterdam:

6 months out we booked a specific K large inside marked no upgrade; had 1 price drop before final payment

5-6 weeks out we took an upsell for $85pp to a VH Balcony guarantee

We were assigned about 2-3 weeks out (not really sure exactly when because we were traveling in Europe and not checking often) to a VB rm #8126, mid/aft-ish.

We were happy with our upsell, although overall this cruise was expensive from the start, so I was glad we at least got a nicer room for just a few dollars more. HAL would not offer us OBC after the price dropped post-final payment, which I would have preferred and I may have kept the large inside and used the credit against the small fortune we spent on tours in Athens, Olympia, Ephesus and especially Istanbul. But if an OBC was as small as the upsell, the balcony room was worth it.

Would we have been as happy in a VH as in the VB? Maybe not as happy with the location of a VH as with the VB but we were willing to chance it. It was a very port intensive cruise so my criterion was a room with a couch, the balcony was icing on the cake.

Hope you find a deal good for you. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

DH and I booked the 9 night leg of the Atlantic Coast cruise on the Veendam embarking at the end of April. Our first guarantee booking ever, hoping it works out OK. We booked the "A" category of Vista Suites, which are midship balconies on the Verandah deck and the Navigation deck. We were told at the time of booking that there is a possibility of being upgraded to a Neptune Suite. We booked guarantee because that was the only option available when we booked, they were only booking guarantee Vista suites and higher for the second part of that cruise.

We could probably choose a cabin now that they have opened up booking to everyone, but to be honest we are not familiar enough with the ship to know if we are picking a "good" cabin. We were told we would receive our cabin assignment 2 to 3 weeks before our trip. I have looked and I believe there are still "A" category cabins available. That probably means we will end up in an "A" category Vista Suite and not be upgraded to a Neptune suite. We can't really be disappointed ending up in the area where we booked, just hope it's a decent cabin. ;)

Lorie

I booked a guarantee H cabin on an 11 night December Oosterdam 2015 cruise. I ended up with a C midship, but was not assigned that until 3 days before sailing. I was OK with that. Personally, I would have preferred being higher up with my limited view, and was hoping I would end up in one of the four small balcony cabins with steel balconies and just showers, but I booked an outside and I got an outside. I have always booked guarantees except for my Panama Canal cruise, but frequently take a last minute upsell. I have always done OK on my guarantee, and sometimes gone to the top category.

Our recent 17 January 2016 Veendam 14 Day Caribbean Sailing:

MM Inside, A Deck Guarantee that included the Explore 4 Package turned out to be K062 Inside, Navigation Deck (convenient to the Lido & Greenhouse Spa).

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

The only GTY I ever booked turned out as unacceptable (SY5002), and I had to fight hard to get a normal SY cabin.

Never again!

Sorry you were not happy with your assigned room... so we all can learn, what was unacceptable about SY5002? And what ship?

Nice that you were able to get it changed to something you liked! m--

Sorry you were not happy with your assigned room... so we all can learn, what was unacceptable about SY5002? And what ship?

Nice that you were able to get it changed to something you liked! m--

All Vista class have the 5001/2 cabins. They are HA cabins, and should be used for that purpose.

-The location at the prow is not ideal, as the ship movement is the worst.

-A third of the cabin is for a huge washroom to roll in a wheelchair.

-The toilet is in the shower, which necessitate removing the toilet paper when showering. If you forget, you get a wet roll.

-The usable cabin is smaller than an SY, and there is a wonky ramp to get the balcony.

-The couch is much smaller than the usual SY room, which is useless for laying down.

The balcony is smaller, and has no protection from the full force of the frontwards winds.

Etc..etc..etc...

I understand that such a cabin is right for Handicapped Access, but it is wrong for HAL to foist it on pax that always book midship SS/SY cabins, just because it may be empty.

All Vista class have the 5001/2 cabins. They are HA cabins, and should be used for that purpose.

-The toilet is in the shower, which necessitate removing the toilet paper when showering. If you forget, you get a wet roll.

-The usable cabin is smaller than an SY, and there is a wonky ramp to get the balcony.

-The couch is much smaller than the usual SY room, which is useless for laying down.

The balcony is smaller, and has no protection from the full force of the frontwards winds.

Etc..etc..etc...

I understand that such a cabin is right for Handicapped Access, but it is wrong for HAL to foist it on pax that always book midship SS/SY cabins, just because it may be empty.

Wow, is that interesting to know! I had no idea! Thanks for explaining.

Approximately one month prior to our Zuiderdam cruise last month, DW and I along with another couple booked VD guarantee cabins with an online travel agent. Approximately a week before departure, each couple was assigned a VB cabin, somewhat close to the bow. The day before the cruise, our cabin was upgraded to an SY midship cabin. The other couple was first time on HAL and this was our first cruise as four star Mariners. P.S. We are now spoiled!

Approximately one month prior to our Zuiderdam cruise last month, DW and I along with another couple booked VD guarantee cabins with an online travel agent. Approximately a week before departure, each couple was assigned a VB cabin, somewhat close to the bow. The day before the cruise, our cabin was upgraded to an SY midship cabin. The other couple was first time on HAL and this was our first cruise as four star Mariners. P.S. We are now spoiled!

Very lucky.....incredible in fact.....good for you all.

Edited by jpelleti007

Wow, I'm impressed.

Last month on Eurodam we booked a VF guarantee and were assigned VC6116. It was a good cabin in a good location.

Etc..etc..etc...

You booked a guarantee and this is what you were assigned. Hal didn't "foist" anything on you. This is a good lesson not to book a guarantee if you are particular about what you like.

Last summer, 14 day Alaska cruise, on the Statendam, we had an inside guarantee, lowest category. Within 2 weeks prior to sailing, we received an upgrade and two upsells to a Neptune Suite. We were very lucky and saved quite a bit. How did it happen? Working the phones with my TA and HAL during the 2 weeks prior to sailing and checking a couple times a day the number of cabins still available. There were six Neptune Suites unsold a week prior to our cruise, and three available 3 days prior. I called HAL, they made a great upsell offer, notified my TA and booked. Within 45 minutes of booking all suites had been sold. Was it worth the effort? YES

Last summer, 14 day Alaska cruise, on the Statendam, we had an inside guarantee, lowest category. Within 2 weeks prior to sailing, we received an upgrade and two upsells to a Neptune Suite. We were very lucky and saved quite a bit. How did it happen? Working the phones with my TA and HAL during the 2 weeks prior to sailing and checking a couple times a day the number of cabins still available. There were six Neptune Suites unsold a week prior to our cruise, and three available 3 days prior. I called HAL, they made a great upsell offer, notified my TA and booked. Within 45 minutes of booking all suites had been sold. Was it worth the effort? YES

So HAL talked with you about the possible upsell? I always thought they wouldn't if a cruise is booked through a travel agency?? It would be interesting to know because I'd love to change to another cabin category at reduced rates ( which are sky-high right now with many cabins unsold yet) a few weeks before our cruise but my TA told me you can't ASK for an upsell but wait until HAL offers one to the TA who then can contact you. To me it seemed a VERY complicated system and one of the drawbacks of using an agency.

So HAL talked with you about the possible upsell? I always thought they wouldn't if a cruise is booked through a travel agency?? It would be interesting to know because I'd love to change to another cabin category at reduced rates ( which are sky-high right now with many cabins unsold yet) a few weeks before our cruise but my TA told me you can't ASK for an upsell but wait until HAL offers one to the TA who then can contact you. To me it seemed a VERY complicated system and one of the drawbacks of using an agency.

I have zero luck doing this although others have reported otherwise.. It must depend on who you get on the phone.