RCCL January 2016 wine prices

I agree that the wine prices are hgh compared to retail prices. However, I've found that they are not far off from restaurant prices, which I think is a more appropriate comparison. In fact, the prices for higher end wine are typically better than local restaurants.

I agree that some of the higher priced wines are not marked up too badly (2 or 2 1/2 X) but the cheaper wines are silly.

Even if I wanted to drink a $10 glass of white zinfandel, I wouldn't because the price of an entire bottle is $5. They're just throwing prices at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I agree that the prices for the higher end wines do seem to be in line with my local restaurants. And that the mark-up on them isn't as bad as on the cheaper wines. But it is a bit of a shock to see the some of those prices.:eek: When I'm on the cruise, I just don't think about it (the mark-up) - if I want the wine, I have the wine and pay the price. And it doesn't bother me. But when I'm sitting at home looking at the mark-up that I'll be paying onboard, it hurts a little.:o

Those prices are really high, even comparing to UK prices with the import duty and VAT we have to pay. Even P&O sailing from the UK manage to sell a bottle of white Zinfandel for approximately $25,along with several other imported wines from the US and Australia for a similar price.

According to the Royal Caribbean drinks packages "we offer a large global assortment of wines as part of the select and premium packages"

At these prices there is virtually nothing white - not even Penfolds Koonuga hills (considered an average house wine here) included in the Select package, and not much more in the premium package.

Will RCI raise the package limits with the hike in prices?

Will RCI raise the package limits with the hike in prices?

Possibly, but I would expect package prices to rise too.

They have been playing this game with package prices over the last couple of years. Every few months they come out with new prices that include gratuity, but you find it's really couple bucks more per day. A few months after that, they tell you the prices no long include tip, so they add 18% gratuity to the prices. The cycle continues.

The drink packages cover you up to $12 a glass? Is that right, or is $10/glass?

Renders the package semi useless if you want good wine that is costing $17/glass...

The Select package limit is $8 per glass, Premium and Ultimate limits are $12 per glass.

The Select package limit is $8 per glass, Premium and Ultimate limits are $12 per glass.

I just looked up the package costs on my cruise planner and it says that for the premium/ultimate package its $12-14/glass and the Select is $8-9/glass. So what happens if your're in the $10-11 category range? I guess that would go into the Premium? Still doesn't help if the price is more per glass than the premium/ultimate package allow for.

Of course their website isn't up to date because the link to compare packages shows completely different pricing per package than it does to purchase it in my cruise planner. :rolleyes:

Something I just noticed, looking at the picture of the menu: Is Belle Glos pinot noir no longer offered by the glass in specialty restaurants? Or is it each specialty restaurant's (or, possibly, each ship's?) wine menu different? I ordered Belle Glos by the glass in Chops on Grandeur in 2014. I believe it was $21 / glass. Does anyone know if it is still available by the glass anywhere on Grandeur?

I just looked up the package costs on my cruise planner and it says that for the premium/ultimate package its $12-14/glass and the Select is $8-9/glass. So what happens if your're in the $10-11 category range? I guess that would go into the Premium? Still doesn't help if the price is more per glass than the premium/ultimate package allow for.

Of course their website isn't up to date because the link to compare packages shows completely different pricing per package than it does to purchase it in my cruise planner. :rolleyes:

If you have the Select package, and you order a $10 glass of wine, you will be charged the difference between $10 and the package limit ($8), plus 18% gratuity on the difference.

The reason you see two figures ($8 and $9) is due to the way drink prices are displayed in those locations where it is not customary to add gratuity. For example, drink prices on some European cruises already have the 18% built into the price, so in that case, the Select package would cover wine up to $9 and the Premium/Ultimate packages would cover wine up to $14.

Edited by clarea

The prices have gone crazy. We do find that the more expensive the wine, the lower % the mark-up. This holds true on the ship as well as land based restaurants. The low end wine mark-ups on the ship are ridiculous. The list I have from January has Ravenswood Zin for $50:eek:

Thanks to those who posted prices.

Cheers!

M

The prices have gone crazy. We do find that the more expensive the wine, the lower % the mark-up. This holds true on the ship as well as land based restaurants. The low end wine mark-ups on the ship are ridiculous. The list I have from January has Ravenswood Zin for $50:eek:

Thanks to those who posted prices.

Cheers!

M

That Ravenswood is $20 at Sam's Club.

Here are the MDR wine lists from Oasis in November. As others have said.....the lower priced wines have a higher markup both onboard and in your local restaurants. We've seen different prices from ship to ship and from sailing to sailing. We board Rhapsody on Sunday. I'll try to get some pictures of their wine menus.

white%202015_zpsgttc5u7m.png

red_2015_zpsjcvafefh.png

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Thanks, Suzyluvs2cruise!:) Ooh, Oasis has Belle Glos Las Alturas - I like that even more than I like their Telephone & Clark! And it's "only" $77 a bottle (compared to $95). I would really love to know what, if any Belle Glos is currently available on Grandeur.:o This is a little silly, I know, but I'm in the process of planning my next GotS cruise and although it's definitely minutia, which of my favourite wines are available onboard affects my decision as to which wine I carry on.:o

Actually we can get it here in SC for well under $10. Is the bottle on board some sort of Reserve?

And, we both know the Caymus, while a higher priced wine, is not a bad price.

M

Wow, only $10. I'll have to check again next time I go to Sam's. Don't know what the bottle on board is. If we do Zin, we would normally choose Cline.

Here are the MDR wine lists from Oasis in November. As others have said.....the lower priced wines have a higher markup both onboard and in your local restaurants. We've seen different prices from ship to ship and from sailing to sailing. We board Rhapsody on Sunday. I'll try to get some pictures of their wine menus.

Thanks, suzy, I would love to know if Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc really went up to $13 per glas, thus taking it out of both the premium and the ultimate packages pricing threshold. Please keep us posted.

Wow, only $10. I'll have to check again next time I go to Sam's. Don't know what the bottle on board is. If we do Zin, we would normally choose Cline.

Bob - check this out!

From total Wine site :

....Ravenswood Vintner's Zinfandel

750ml

California | Red Wine | Zinfandel

$ 6.47...

There a few other Ravenswood Zin options on the site that are a bit more but none are over $16.

Cheers!

Marci

Bob - check this out!

From total Wine site :

....Ravenswood Vintner's Zinfandel

750ml

California | Red Wine | Zinfandel

$ 6.47...

There a few other Ravenswood Zin options on the site that are a bit more but none are over $16.

Cheers!

Marci

Thanks Marci! Another great reason to shop Total Wine.:)

• 4 weeks later...